IGNORED

Bands that became big that you saw early in small venues.

Redtrojan

Sorry to start two topics at once ,but always interested in catching bands early in their careers and I suspect many of you have done that .

Saw the pogues in Hampstead village hall for a quid in early eighties only reason we went was it had a late licence.

Saw Catfish and the bottlemen at the Louisiana (and the thekla).

Saw Robert Plant at the Granary-but long after his led zep days.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Enclosure Old Timer said:

Saw Queen supporting Mott the Hoople at the Colston,  Roxy Music supporting Hawkwind at the Locarno and The Eagles supporting Neil Young at the Hippodrome, all around '72/'73.

I vaguely remember that Neil Young performed at The Hippodrome in the mid 70s.

Quite a few of my school friends were keen on CSN&Y and similar music, but, at that time, I was more interested in ‘Glam Rock’, Slade etc. or Rod Stewart, Rolling Stones, so declined the chance to join them.

I am pretty sure I didn’t know one of their support acts was The Eagles, as just a few years later they became one of my favourite groups.

Franz Ferdinand supporting Belle and Sebastian in Bath, as Stuart of B&S said when he came on stage "you're lucky we brought them, we'll be supporting them next year." It was September and they were number one by Xmas.

Early days of Two Tone, I saw a bill which started with Dexys Midnight Runners (they got a barrage of "who are you" from the crowd), and finished with The Specials, with the Bodysnatchers and Selecter in between.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

Oasis at the Fleece. They went on before a band called Whiteout

I was there as well.

A much earlier example was when I paid 50p to watch The Smiths at the University of Kent early 1983.  They'd just released Hand In Glove, their first single. 

2 hours ago, Maesknoll Red said:

I was at the Sabbath gig (Colston Hall) Van Halen had the best response to any support band I’ve ever seen, seemed like Sabbath weren’t too happy about it.  

Was that the Ronnie James Dio Sabbath? If so I was at that but I can't remember Van Halen..mind you I can't remember what I had for lunch yesterday ?

1 hour ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

A 16 year old Roland Orzabal (later of Tears For Fears) supported my band once at a pub which is now The Cork in Westgate Buildings in Bath.  Does that count?

That definitely counts...up there with the best I would think ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

I was there as well.

A much earlier example was when I paid 50p to watch The Smiths at the University of Kent early 1983.  They'd just released Hand In Glove, their first single. 

I thought I saw you! ?

Was a great gig though, wasn't it, even though they only did about six songs (most of which no one knew). I actually really liked Whiteout as well.

Incredible that you saw The Smiths for 50p!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

A 16 year old Roland Orzabal (later of Tears For Fears) supported my band once at a pub which is now The Cork in Westgate Buildings in Bath.  Does that count?

I wonder if he comes out with an anecdote about supporting your band ?

6 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

A little combo called The Beatles (I think it was ) supporting Helen Shapiro at Abergavenny in 62.  I only went along with my cousin to see Helen as I was in love with her (I was 10).

Courtesy of my late father, 'Walking back to Happiness' was one of my favourites growing up, along with her version of Carol King's 'It might as well rain until September'.

As a slight aside, my father was slightly disappointed when, in my teens, I informed him that, in her formative years, she used to be accompanied by Marc Bolan, of T Rex fame.

• Haha 1