IGNORED

Bands that became big that you saw early in small venues.

Redtrojan

5 hours ago, Midred said:

The  County Hotel in Taunton had a selection of up and coming bands in the early 70's including Queen, Suzy Quatro, Cozy Powell (?) and a few others. Tremeloes(?) in the Camelot club for the radio one club!

Went to all of those I think, definitely Queen and Suzi. Queen had just charted with Seven Seas Of Rye IIRC. Was supposed to see Johnny Thunder`s Heartbreakers there too but they cancelled at the last minute.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Went to all of those I think, definitely Queen and Suzi. Queen had just charted with Seven Seas Of Rye IIRC. Was supposed to see Johnny Thunder`s Heartbreakers there too but they cancelled at the last minute.

There were many other performers there as well but its a long time ago! Apart from Queen there never seemed to be a problem getting tickets back then.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Enclosure Old Timer said:

Saw Queen supporting Mott the Hoople at the Colston,  Roxy Music supporting Hawkwind at the Locarno and The Eagles supporting Neil Young at the Hippodrome, all around '72/'73.

Went to that Mott the Hoople concert.  Loads of people went to the bar before the interval just to get away from the noisy support band, who seemed so out of date compared to the Bowie-esque MTH.  For Queen to go from that, to producing stuff such as The Seven Seas of Rye/Killer Queen/Bohemian Rhapsody in a couple of years was astonishing.

I could have also claimed to have seen Genesis supporting Lindisfarne and Van Der Graaf Generator in 1972 at the CH.  Only problem was that they broke down on the motorway.  As people were mainly there to see the top 2 on the bill (weird combination, but that was how it was with multiple line ups)  a big cheer went up when we were told we wouldn't have to sit through Genesis!  And all for 30 new pence!

Melody Maker – Genesis – Van Der Graff Generator – Lindisfarne – Tour advert – 23rd January – The Genesis Archive

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

They used to do guest DJ nights too - saw Stewart Henry and Emperor Rosco there.

Back in the late 1970s, I went to Yate to see The Drifters.

They were really good, Honest, but the guest DJ/Presenter was David ‘Kid’ Jensen, and he was absolutely awful, as well as being an arrogant and precocious ****.

I was there with a (very attractive and voluptuous) casual girlfriend, and we passed each other on the stairs and started chatting - it was between the support act and The Drifters coming on stage, so there was a presumed gap of 30 minutes or so.

’Kid’ suggested *we* go back to his dressing room for a drink, and we accepted, but one of his security team suggested en route that I would not be welcome.

A huge row broke out, and my girlfriend gave him a slap around the face, and taunted him about his face makeup, applied with a spatula to hide his awful acne.

Cue a huge screaming match and the intervention of security, culminating in ‘Kid’ asking for us to be thrown out.

My girlfriend, Bless her, hit the roof, accusing ‘Kid’ of sexually assaulting her and threatening to go to the newspapers - he was a popular Radio One DJ at the time.

The accusation was totally false, but ‘Kid’ relented, proposed a bottle of champagne in some lounge to compensate for the over zealous actions of his security team, and we then watched The Drifters, who were great.

Saturday Night at the Movies….

I first saw the Sex Pistols at the Nashville Rooms and then again at the Marquee Club. This was the Sex Pistols pre Sid Vicious with Glen Matlock on bass. Around this time AC/DC had a rotating residency with Eddie & the Hot Rods at the Marquee Club, which although a famous club in Wardour Street was a small venue. 

• Like 3

The opposite to the thread title happened when I went to Yate Entertainment Center (Later Spirals) just across the road from me in 73.............. I saw the "full fat" Badfinger (the originals). It was sad to see if there were 50 punters there I'd have been surprised. They still put on a brilliant show (professionals). So strange, they'd had top hits only a year or so earlier..!   What was even stranger was a couple of weeks later it was packed for Dandy Livingstone (Suzanne Beware Of The Devil)   You tell me !

• Like 1

I went to Middlesex Poly in the late 80s/early 90s.  During 1989 (I think it was), The Stone Roses, Happy Mondays and Inspiral Carpets played at different sites across the Poly, all within a fortnight.  I couldn't afford to go to all 3 so chose the one at my most local site, Enfield (Ponders End).  It was the Inspiral Carpets.  Oh well (although they weren't shabby).

• Like 1

In terms of musical royalty I may trump you all…

I saw B*Witched’s first ever performance in England.

They came to my primary school and did a few songs as a warm up before their first show in London.

I was 9 or 10, never been to a ‘gig’ before, didn’t know what to do, so I ran to the front and started crying.

• Haha 4

On 17/07/2023 at 23:15, New Dazzler said:

Went to that Mott the Hoople concert.  Loads of people went to the bar before the interval just to get away from the noisy support band, who seemed so out of date compared to the Bowie-esque MTH.  For Queen to go from that, to producing stuff such as The Seven Seas of Rye/Killer Queen/Bohemian Rhapsody in a couple of years was astonishing.

I could have also claimed to have seen Genesis supporting Lindisfarne and Van Der Graaf Generator in 1972 at the CH.  Only problem was that they broke down on the motorway.  As people were mainly there to see the top 2 on the bill (weird combination, but that was how it was with multiple line ups)  a big cheer went up when we were told we wouldn't have to sit through Genesis!  And all for 30 new pence!

Melody Maker – Genesis – Van Der Graff Generator – Lindisfarne – Tour advert – 23rd January – The Genesis Archive

Remember that show also

I had tickets to see Mott at the Taunton Odeon but Ian Hunter broke his leg the day before so it was cancelled. They were great days when the Odeon put on gigs for a while - saw Bowie on the Ziggy tour, Sparks, The Sensational Alex Harvey Band and, bizarrely, Jasper Carrot!

My sister also saw the Bay City Rollers there!

On 17/07/2023 at 08:41, Port Said Red said:

Early days of Two Tone, I saw a bill which started with Dexys Midnight Runners (they got a barrage of "who are you" from the crowd), and finished with The Specials, with the Bodysnatchers and Selecter in between.

I think you're conflating two different gigs there mate, I was at both shows too and the buzz was incredible. 

The first 2 Tone tour featured the Specials, Selecter and Dexys (who joined the tour part way through to replace Madness). A few months later, Selecter were back at the Locarno headlining their own tour with support from the Bodysnatchers (fronted by the fabulous Rhoda Dakar).

Standout memories for me of this gig are of one lad deciding to dive off the balcony into the crowd on the dance floor, in a Jimmy-from-Quadrophenia moment, and a vicious scrap between Bristol mods and Gloucester skins, which I somehow found myself in the middle of for a few terrifying moments. 

Such an exciting time that was to be a teenager, though the tribalism was pretty insane and like a lot of kids at the time, I could be a mod, punk or rude boy on any given day of the week, depending on which album I was listening to, or which latest fashion item I happened to have bought from Rodney Thomas or Paradise Garage. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I had tickets to see Mott at the Taunton Odeon but Ian Hunter broke his leg the day before so it was cancelled. They were great days when the Odeon put on gigs for a while - saw Bowie on the Ziggy tour, Sparks, The Sensational Alex Harvey Band and, bizarrely, Jasper Carrot!

My sister also saw the Bay City Rollers there!

Had front row in choir seats for Bowie on Ziggy Stardust tour at Colston.  SAHB were fab also at same venue as were Dr Feelgood.  Great days, great music.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Had front row in choir seats for Bowie on Ziggy Stardust tour at Colston.  SAHB were fab also at same venue as were Dr Feelgood.  Great days, great music.

Just checked as still have some tickets. Bowie ticket cost £1.20.  Saw him again in Adelaide when doing his Stage tour.

10 minutes ago, City Rocker said:

I think you're conflating two different gigs there mate, I was at both shows too and the buzz was incredible. 

The first 2 Tone tour featured the Specials, Selecter and Dexys (who joined the tour part way through to replace Madness). A few months later, Selecter were back at the Locarno headlining their own tour with support from the Bodysnatchers (fronted by the fabulous Rhoda Dakar).

Standout memories for me of this gig are of one lad deciding to dive off the balcony into the crowd on the dance floor, in a Jimmy-from-Quadrophenia moment, and a vicious scrap between Bristol mods and Gloucester skins, which I somehow found myself in the middle of for a few terrifying moments. 

Such an exciting time that was to be a teenager, though the tribalism was pretty insane and like a lot of kids at the time, I could be a mod, punk or rude boy on any given day of the week, depending on which album I was listening to, or which latest fashion item I happened to have bought from Rodney Thomas or Paradise Garage. 

I was going to add that I missed Madness due to this change of label. I am sure there were 4 bands though, so if it wasn't The Bodysnatchers, I wonder who I am forgetting?

23 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

The opposite to the thread title happened when I went to Yate Entertainment Center (Later Spirals) just across the road from me in 73.............. I saw the "full fat" Badfinger (the originals). It was sad to see if there were 50 punters there I'd have been surprised. They still put on a brilliant show (professionals). So strange, they'd had top hits only a year or so earlier..!   What was even stranger was a couple of weeks later it was packed for Dandy Livingstone (Suzanne Beware Of The Devil)   You tell me !

Saw Alex Harvey's last gig in this country at the Grannery..

The Faith Healer...

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, City Rocker said:

In 1981 I saw New Order at the Trinity and U2 at the Locarno. 

You'd go to one or two gigs a week in those days though, and there was always a good chance of seeing something amazing. 

U2 at Locarno was for the October tour. I was there but left fuming as including encore their entire set lasted 45 minutes. The following day I returned my unopened October LP to Strawberry Fayre (above the jeans shop in centre of Broadmead) and exchanged it for Squeeze's East Side Story. Great album. Saw Squeeze support my heroes Dr Feelgood at the Colsunall in 1979. 

I gave U2 another chance when they played the Colsunall a year later for the War tour. Wow! St Bono of Dublin and the boys were on stage for 2 hours and included him climbing up the PA stack onto the balcony. 

I think the support was The Blue Cats? Aussie band I think.

Have seen Squeeze many times since including the night at the Colsunall when for an entire Glenn Tilbrook introduced their new piano player....Mr Elton John. They sang Heard It Through The Grapevine and I Saw Her Standing There.

• Like 1

On 17/07/2023 at 13:20, slartibartfast said:

A little combo called The Beatles (I think it was ) supporting Helen Shapiro at Abergavenny in 62.  I only went along with my cousin to see Helen as I was in love with her (I was 10).

Chasing older women from an early age. Helen must of been, what 15!

• Haha 1

On 19/07/2023 at 21:40, Norn Iron said:

U2 at Locarno was for the October tour. I was there but left fuming as including encore their entire set lasted 45 minutes. The following day I returned my unopened October LP to Strawberry Fayre (above the jeans shop in centre of Broadmead) and exchanged it for Squeeze's East Side Story. Great album. Saw Squeeze support my heroes Dr Feelgood at the Colsunall in 1979. 

I gave U2 another chance when they played the Colsunall a year later for the War tour. Wow! St Bono of Dublin and the boys were on stage for 2 hours and included him climbing up the PA stack onto the balcony. 

I think the support was The Blue Cats? Aussie band I think.

Have seen Squeeze many times since including the night at the Colsunall when for an entire Glenn Tilbrook introduced their new piano player....Mr Elton John. They sang Heard It Through The Grapevine and I Saw Her Standing There.

I was at the U2 gig at Colston Hall..very, very good, I was a huge fan of U2 for a while, from the Colston Hall to Wembley and Cardiff Arms Park. Great live band back in the day.