IGNORED

City Reunion at FGR (Merged)

Silvio Dante

34 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

As mentioned by @Bcfcshags on the Southampton thread on Saturday, ex city alumni Dave Horseman is the new FGR manager. 

However, not only that, but Louis Carey is coming along as assistant and Matty Taylor has just signed on to lead the attack.

A trip to the New Lawn on international weekends anyone?

18 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Loans to FGR???

Louis been moved on from his role with Southampton, or his own choice to go for a new challenge?

3 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Louis been moved on from his role with Southampton, or his own choice to go for a new challenge?

His own choice.

He’s pretty much one of the only ones that survived the cull of all culls at Saints, across an academy / academy to first team bridge staff. Insane amount of redundancies. Pretty much all scouts cut off, and in some cases entire talent areas shut down because of owners wanting to go fully into recruiting based on stats

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• The title was changed to City Reunion at FGR (Merged)
46 minutes ago, GlastonburyRed said:

I mean, why would we give any kudos to our record appearance holder?!

I don’t like anyone that wears a flat cap. 

That said and in all seriousness sometimes there are (local) players of an era where you wonder were they really in it as fans or not. Including the likes of Tommy Doc.

When you see where Scott Murray is today, or even Tinnion, of the same era but non-natives you see a love there; and from others you see a little bit of bitterness that they maybe couldn’t enjoy a footballers lifestyle without the nuisance of application. Carey to me seemed to dance the razor’s edge 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, 38MC said:

That said and in all seriousness sometimes there are (local) players of an era where you wonder were they really in it as fans or not. Including the likes of Tommy Doc.

When you see where Scott Murray is today, or even Tinnion, of the same era but non-natives you see a love there; and from others you see a little bit of bitterness that they maybe couldn’t enjoy a footballers lifestyle without the nuisance of application. Carey to me seemed to dance the razor’s edge 

Louis is still probably pi55ed off with city having to donate all the proceeds from his testimonial to A&S police. 

5 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

In the record books it does say he our record appearance holder but only by virtue of substitute appearances. In Atyeo's day there were no substitutes so all his appearances were starts. 

This, it would be interesting to know the list for starting games, certainly Louis would be behind Atyeo, possibly behind other players?

Putting Louis on to ‘break’ the record was a poor decision in my opinion, and reflects the PR nature of football these days. He was put on simply to generate a headline, which is quite sad given the years when he was a first choice and top defender.

Louis also took a break from City at Coventry(?), whereas Atyeo’s service was unbroken.

Wish Louis well, from what I hear he is an excellent coach, as is Dave.

8 hours ago, 38MC said:

Louis was often seen at the Gate watching City before he joined Southampton.  Was usually sat in the Lower Lansdown in the block next to the Heineken Lounge, so I would say he was in it as a fan, personally. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Countryfile said:

This, it would be interesting to know the list for starting games, certainly Louis would be behind Atyeo, possibly behind other players?

Putting Louis on to ‘break’ the record was a poor decision in my opinion, and reflects the PR nature of football these days. He was put on simply to generate a headline, which is quite sad given the years when he was a first choice and top defender.

Louis also took a break from City at Coventry(?), whereas Atyeo’s service was unbroken.

Wish Louis well, from what I hear he is an excellent coach, as is Dave.

Exactly right. Don't get me wrong I like Louis and he served City well. I just don't think he should be counted as our record appearance holder. But I also don't like the fact that a player comes on for England in stoppage time and it counts as an international cap. I don't know if they still get a physical cap anymore but if so there ought to be a minimum number of minutes to play to receive one. 

But back to Louis and he does, aooear to be gaining a good reputation as a coach so good luck to him at FGR. 

2 hours ago, Slacker said:

To me,it felt like Steve Cotterell was either leaned on,or felt obligated to give Louis that final appearance to take the record.Just my opinion but SC appeared angry/uncomfortable about handing the record to Louis.

Don't think Cotts would have been too bothered either way, but definitely leaned on from above to give Carey those several late sub appearances to limp over the line to take the the record.

The club were desperate for some good publicity at the time but it was really disrespectful to the memory of Atyeo imo who is still the rightful record holder afaic.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Didn't lose a single competitive game lads. 

Honestly such a media pile on that was. It was always clear she was a caretaker and would be replaced asap.

And she didn't apply for the full time job but will continue in her current role. It was indeed more the media than her that made a big deal of it.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, chinapig said:

And she didn't apply for the full time job but will continue in her current role. It was indeed more the media than her that made a big deal of it.

Yeh, even Vince was open about the fact she was a caretaker and that they were searching for a full-time role and she was welcome to apply.

I just don't think it contributes well to the conversation around women in men's football when small steps are exploded into monumental moments that they are not. One day a woman will manage a professional English men's team full time and competitively - and that's fine and good, but it wasn't that day.

Anyway, delighted to see a bunch of City old boys finally get a break and get a job in football. Jobs for the boys ?*

*I am being facetious, good luck to them all.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Exactly right. Don't get me wrong I like Louis and he served City well. I just don't think he should be counted as our record appearance holder. But I also don't like the fact that a player comes on for England in stoppage time and it counts as an international cap. I don't know if they still get a physical cap anymore but if so there ought to be a minimum number of minutes to play to receive one. 

But back to Louis and he does, aooear to be gaining a good reputation as a coach so good luck to him at FGR. 

It means what its means - that you have played for your country. I quite like the cap but I agree the requirement should be to have to start a game at a major tournament.

If you play for your country there should be something like you get the shirt you played in.

Wish them well especially with Carey on board but it still looks like a management team severely lacking in lower league experience, and if their strategy is based around a 'progressive' style as others talked about in the previous thread then I wouldn't be surprised if they find themselves unprepared once the season begins. Still I think it's a great challenge and will be watching from a distance, also Matty Taylor isn't a bad signing for them. Just seen the FGR manager from last season Ian Birchnall is now assistant manager at Anderlecht which I find a bit surprising.

Edited by Baba Yaga

33 minutes ago, Pezo said:

It means what its means - that you have played for your country. I quite like the cap but I agree the requirement should be to have to start a game at a major tournament.

If you play for your country there should be something like you get the shirt you played in.

I've now checked and players still get an actual cap for each game they play except for tournaments when they just get one for the tournament. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Don't think Cotts would have been too bothered either way, but definitely leaned on from above to give Carey those several late sub appearances to limp over the line to take the the record.

The club were desperate for some good publicity at the time but it was really disrespectful to the memory of Atyeo imo who is still the rightful record holder afaic.

Different game now - much more of a squad game than in previous eras 

1 hour ago, frenchred said:

Just a publicity stunt

⬇️⬇️⬇️

1 hour ago, chinapig said:

Exactly.  Manager sacked, at an important time of the close season, they needed someone to tick things over.  Who better than the fully qualified coach, currently acting as Academy Manager.

Always positioned as interim.  Vince, when interviewed said she was welcome to apply, in fact he hoped she would.

Media blew it up, not Vince.

• Like 2