IGNORED

Match day programme this season

Jerseybean

• Admin

I'm sure that I didn't dream this but thought there was going to be some official club announcement about the programme this upcoming season

The impression I got was that they were going to bring back the printed version

I always found it odd that the club went through the hassle of designing it to go online without getting it printed.

Surely with the amount of sponsors inside and cost of buying it covered its own costs?

14 minutes ago, phantom said:

I'm sure that I didn't dream this but thought there was going to be some official club announcement about the programme this upcoming season

I always found it odd that the club went through the hassle of designing it to go online without getting it printed.

Surely with the amount of sponsors inside and cost of buying it covered its own costs?

If I remember correctly, during questions at various Senior Reds lunches, both Steve Lansdown and Richard Gould were in favour of a printed version, but because of cost it was deemed unviable! Think the same question was asked to Phil Alexander, although he had only been in the position a short time and only listened, can’t remember what his view/opinion was!

Last season a printed version was available behind the bar in The Coopers, guess that will no longer be possible.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, phantom said:

Yep, that was my understanding (memory) too.

48 minutes ago, phantom said:

I remember the excuse for going digital was that the print version was losing money.

Since paper prices have skyrocketed over the last few years (due to reduced demand, inflation etc) the position must be markedly worse now.

(Someone like @Shtanley might have a handle on the costs.)

I wonder what the price/page count will be.

Looking forward to it coming back anyway.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, phantom said:

Some bright spark on eBay was printing the digital copy and selling a hard copy.

3 hours ago, Sleepy1968 said:

I remember the excuse for going digital was that the print version was losing money.

Since paper prices have skyrocketed over the last few years (due to reduced demand, inflation etc) the position must be markedly worse now.

(Someone like @Shtanley might have a handle on the costs.)

I wonder what the price/page count will be.

Looking forward to it coming back anyway.

As you say paper prices have gone through the roof but it’s not just the cost of paper and print, it’s the finishing as well. The programme was PUR bound and not stitched(stapled), plus the cover was matte laminated which all adds up. I can’t remember exact figures but there were roughly around 8000ish produced for Saturday games and were often 72 pages plus cover. 

• Thanks 1

• Admin
1 hour ago, SBB said:

As you say paper prices have gone through the roof but it’s not just the cost of paper and print, it’s the finishing as well. The programme was PUR bound and not stitched(stapled), plus the cover was matte laminated which all adds up. I can’t remember exact figures but there were roughly around 8000ish produced for Saturday games and were often 72 pages plus cover. 

I know the company that produced the finished product when the full seasons programmes were made into one large book the cost wasn't that high 

I'm not trying to be rude but 8k seems like a very high number, that's more than 1 in 3 buying one 

1 hour ago, phantom said:

I know the company that produced the finished product when the full seasons programmes were made into one large book the cost wasn't that high 

I'm not trying to be rude but 8k seems like a very high number, that's more than 1 in 3 buying one 

No offence taken. I worked at one of the businesses involved. Like I said, my memory of exact amounts isn’t that great but was no less than 7000 for Saturday fixtures. Less for midweek matches. The same company produced the Bears and Birmingham’s programmes as well. This was around 2016-17. 

• Like 1

Programmes are useless in modern day. All thebinformation in them is known waybbeforehand because we have internet now. There is no new information and having a memento of EVERY game seems a bit excessive. The cost to produce, design and print just because "it's nice to have" is pointless and a waste of time, effort and money.

Only way I see programmes as being back is if the club make them smaller, more ad-filled and MUCH cheaper. They need to be on thinner, less high quality paper like a comic book or an old TV guide magazine. Make them so that they're disposable, people don't want to pay £3.50 for information they already know and then throw that away. If they were £1.50 and a cheap thing you can choose to roll up and shove in your back pocket, people won't care so much about paying it. Can still look after it and save it if you want but cost savings are the only way it ever comea back to life and trying to produce a premium product isn't the way. The world is going paperless.

14 hours ago, SBB said:

But we don't need them to be that quality, I don't understand why we don't do more basic ones.

32 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

Pretty sure @Blagdon Mike from the SC&T recently said there'd be more news about the programme shortly, which they've been talking to the club about or something like that.

Im sure the Supporters Club Survey had a statement in one of the questions that said the club wont be producing either printed OR digital programmes this season, and that a proposal maybe in the fan led Cidered programme instead.

From the supporter survey today from the SC&T:

"The Football Club will not produce their ROBINS programme next season, neither printed nor online. 

In similar circumstances 2020/21, the CIDEREDS programme was born, produced voluntarily and successfully by committed fans for fans.  It was not sold openly by agreement with the Football Club.  The fans involved were associated with the Programme Club and bristolcityprogrammes.com the online shop. 

CIDEREDS is being brought back this coming season and hopes to command support from City fans.  ALL the main contributors of articles to ROBINS will be contributing to CIDEREDS.  It will be sold outside the Club perimeter at the four corners of the ground."

On 21/07/2023 at 09:57, IAmNick said:

Pretty sure @Blagdon Mike from the SC&T recently said there'd be more news about the programme shortly, which they've been talking to the club about or something like that.

Mike Adams posted a thread on Sunday

BRISTOL CITY PROGRAMMES ARE BACK with an exciting update of CIDEREDS Matchday Programme being sold at the stadium perimeter Saturday