IGNORED

What is the thinking about our two young back up keepers?

Major Isewater

As it stands I think Harv is no2, and we will be seeking suitors for Stefan.

On a rules point of view, if we move on Stefan, we could utilise the emergency keeper loan rule if Max got injured.  If Stefan is still around, then we can’t.

I quite like Harv, has the odd “moment” in him though.

• Like 1

• Admin

In the sense that we don't want Max to think he has no chance of losing his shirt so standards could possibly drop, we would need a number 2 but I am not sure why people persist with thinking we need to bring anyone else in

In the two were not good enough they would not be in the club

• Hmmm 1

3 minutes ago, phantom said:

In the sense that we don't want Max to think he has no chance of losing his shirt so standards could possibly drop, we would need a number 2 but I am not sure why people persist with thinking we need to bring anyone else in

In the two were not good enough they would not be in the club

Read an article a while ago that challenged the view of “two keepers pushing each other”, and it said you want your best keeper to “feel like he’s no1 / the best”.

I don’t know how I feel about it myself, just was a different angle on it.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Read an article a while ago that challenged the view of “two keepers pushing each other”, and it said you want your best keeper to “feel like he’s no1 / the best”.

I don’t know how I feel about it myself, just was a different angle on it.

Probably one where it depends on the personality of that No.1. Some people like to be pushed, and others like to feel comfortable in their position.

I'd be a little concerned simply because Wiles-Richards and Bajic are very much untested at Championship level.

While O'Leary is fit and indeed In form that's no huge issue but supposing he gets a red card, injured or out for whatever reason. The Emergency GK option is one thing of course but ideally we need to pick between one of Wiles-Richards and Bajic moving forward, loan out the other and budget permitting sign an experienced GK to either supersede or compete on equal compete with O'Leary.

Think it's too soon to write either off but I'd worry a bit if they were first and second reserve.

Bajic is 21 and turning 22. Keepers can take longer to develop, Leary worth checking his early career here, didn't make his Championship debut with us until 2018-19. Played FA Cup v West Brom in 2015-16?

Had multiple loans. Granted we may do things differently these days but time will tell.

As late as 2019-20 he was loaned to Shrewsbury, age 22 going into 23.

2 hours ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

Still think we need another experienced keeper as back up/competition/mentor for Max.

2 hours ago, BCFCGav said:

I wouldn't say no to an old head to compete with/mentor Max but it's a nice to have rather than a need. I think Bajic will impress a few if called upon.

I think the age/experience is somewhat irrelevant, e.g. Marinovic was 27(?) at the time he made 1 appearance for us, so you could argue he was "experienced" or an "old head". The problem was he looked so out of place you had to wonder if he had won a lottery to be a Championship goalkeeper for the day, ?

A backup/older pro would need to be the right recruit, getting a keeper in now for the sake of "ticking that box" might be a waste of a wage - if we need a backup HWR or Bajic might be fine for 1-2 games - It is really hard to tell personally from the little we have seen of them so far . I Wonder if the coaching staff are trying to further assess during pre-season this before sanctioning a move for someone. Right now (in pre-season) there is no urgent need, so we might be still trying to find our man. 

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

Imo we have not had a big quality keeper who dominates his box, is good on crosses, dishes out instructions from the back and we can feel 100% confident with for 10 years or more.

As we don't have £30m+ to spend, however, we might have to compromise a little ?

It’s a position that is difficult to rotate unlike say a striker.  If you bring someone in then as much as you want them to be competing for a shirt you need them to be supportive if they are not playing.  From the outside looking in we have a very together group who support each other. If the club get the recruitment wrong on a keeper then it could disrupt this and create a negativity in the dressing room.   Where as the younger pros acting as understudies would remain positive as they see a pathway, they do lack the experience. It’s what do you take the gamble on.  I would probably go with the youth and exploit the emergency loan if we needed to.

11 hours ago, Davefevs said:

As it stands I think Harv is no2, and we will be seeking suitors for Stefan.

On a rules point of view, if we move on Stefan, we could utilise the emergency keeper loan rule if Max got injured.  If Stefan is still around, then we can’t.

I quite like Harv, has the odd “moment” in him though.

I think that's a dead cert. Dave . Emergency keeper loan thingy 

It's a risk. At the same time, so was throwing Conway, Bell or Scott in for the first time. Although the risks are obviously much higher for a 'keeper.

I suppose what I'm not clear on is where we see Wiles-Richards. If the club think he's a first team goalkeeper of the future, we have to take the risk at some point or other. (Ditto with Bajic, although I get the sense he's not shown he is as close to the first team as the club might have hoped he would). At the same time, I'd be worried of O'Leary got an injury. I'd feel more confident with a more experienced back-up but Pearson presumably has made decisions on where he wants to recruit and why and it might be Wiles-Richards (or Bajic) is closer to being ready for the first-team than I think.

• Like 2