IGNORED

Trevor Francis RIP

class not gas

1 hour ago, TV Tom said:

I’m pretty sure he made his home debut against us, we had a special train that day, needless to say we lost!!!

I believe you are correct…first million pound player and came on as substitute….and yes, we lost by a goal to nil. Proud to say I saw the first appearance of a million pound player in the uk.

22 minutes ago, onehowie said:

I believe you are correct…first million pound player and came on as substitute….and yes, we lost by a goal to nil. Proud to say I saw the first appearance of a million pound player in the uk.

We were put in the enclosure that day nearest the Trent end, we were lucky to get nil !!!

• Like 1

A real sad loss .Trevor came to Ashton Gate as a fifteen year old with his Plymouth mate Kevin Griffin .They both had a weeks trial and both travelled with the city reserves to a game away at Chelsea  .Although they never played at  Stamford Bridge Alan Dicks and John Sillett were keen on them both .Trevor had already agreed to go to Birmingham City the following week .After their time at City  ,the club  offered an apprenticeship to both Trevor and Kevin but Trevor would not let Birmingham down and went for the week trial with them , and the rest as they say is history ,as for Kevin he signed for City and made a few appearances before moving on to Bath City .According to Geoff Merrick Trevor was his most difficult opponent .RIP Trevor   

• Thanks 2
  • Robin 3

3 hours ago, Garland-sweden said:

Scored the winning goal vs Malmö FF, eurocup it was named then. 1-0, Forest.

Against our former keeper Jan Moller…probably the best keeper we ever had..he was a big ‘un with mahoosive hands and so mobile.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BS15_RED said:

RIP, didn’t he have a tear up on the pitch at AG with a steward when he was managing Birmingham back in the late 90’s?

Yes, twisted the stewards ear as he left the pitch going down the tunnel. I remember it well as it was right in front of me, but I've no idea why he did it.

RIP Trevor.

2 hours ago, REDOXO said:

Great player. I think he had a trial at City before going to Birmingham as a kid. I’m sure one of the old boys can confirm or deny that?!

With Shaun Penny if I remember. I think they both came from Plymouth.

Edited by Redtucks
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, BromleyRed said:

Shaun Penney was from Southmead and was at Greenway Boys School. Then City paid for him to go to Millfield School.

Thanks for that info. As I said I wasn't sure but I know they played together in their early years. Under 18's or schoolboys maybe???

5 hours ago, REDOXO said:

Great player. I think he had a trial at City before going to Birmingham as a kid. I’m sure one of the old boys can confirm or deny that?!

Yes, think that’s right. He came up from Plymouth with another young striker called Kevin Griffin. 

Think Brum made him a very good offer that we couldn’t compete with. We signed Griffin, although he was a decent prospect, not in same league as Francis, so we kind of missed out there you might say. I think Kevin Griffin played a few first team games for us but never fulfilled the promise he originally had.

Francis was a great player but was in the era when Keegan was around. Always rated Francis a better footballer than Keegan, but Keegan just had that extra workrate, energy and enthusiasm and more of the team player time that Revie liked. Greenwood seemed a bit more sympathetic to playing more flair players like Francis. He also performed well in Italy, which like Brady, Souness, Wilkins was no mean feat at that time.

14 hours ago, NP76 said:

A real sad loss .Trevor came to Ashton Gate as a fifteen year old with his Plymouth mate Kevin Griffin .They both had a weeks trial and both travelled with the city reserves to a game away at Chelsea  .Although they never played at  Stamford Bridge Alan Dicks and John Sillett were keen on them both .Trevor had already agreed to go to Birmingham City the following week .After their time at City  ,the club  offered an apprenticeship to both Trevor and Kevin but Trevor would not let Birmingham down and went for the week trial with them , and the rest as they say is history ,as for Kevin he signed for City and made a few appearances before moving on to Bath City .According to Geoff Merrick Trevor was his most difficult opponent .RIP Trevor   

Thanks very much for the facts about his "time" at City as I had always understood that he was with us as a schoolboy for some time.

Trevor Francis. I admired him and detested him at the same time.

An extremely good footballer, goalscorer and as others have said, a very decent person.

As for detesting him, we always seemed to get Birmingham away every Boxing Day it seemed. Latchford loved scoring against us and when Francis got all four one year, a West Country boy, I didn't like him!

My sincere condolences to his family and friends. Meet me at the gates when it's my time, and you can buy the beers to make up for all those goals against City!