IGNORED

Haydon Roberts

NcnsBcfc

3 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Cornick reminds me of Danny Haynes, lots of honest endeavour but lacking the finishing touch .

I believe he fits perfectly into the ‘ robust players who run all day ‘ category and if he can notch ten goals this season then I think he would have had a good one. 
Urry up ‘Arry ! 

Sensible opinion Major

Where did you pinch that from ???

5 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

The likelihood that everyone will rate every member of a squad is pretty low, I would have thought, but in my experience when a player has been largely unrated by a good number of fans it’s usually because they’ve - ahem - not been very good.

For the record, I want City to succeed and I want every player to play their part, but the fact is that, as I think everyone can see (including yourself, I would expect), Cornick has been hugely disappointing so far.

a “bit” rather than “hugely” disappointing for me, some good games, some not.  But that’s opinions!

No one is saying he doesn’t have any technique or spirit,

I think that is exactly what they are saying…I’m not sure how “not good enough” or words to that effect can mean anything else! ?

but so far he has largely failed to deliver.

agree, although looked far more “in-tune” in the preseason games I’ve watched in full (wasn’t at Cheltenham last night, although highlights suggested pretty involved in the good stuff first half???)

I hope he finds his mojo and transforms into the player we need, and I admire your optimism, but at some point he has to start delivering at the level we need and so far it simply ain’t happening.

I agree the jury might still be out though for many fans.

⬆️⬆️⬆️

14 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

We do love getting it out wide don’t we?

We do. It's what happens from there that worries me. Well, not exactly worries, but I do think we need to do better with our final ball from those areas. Finding another red shirt with our delivery, instead of a defender (often the first one), would result in plenty more goals, I feel. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

We do. It's what happens from there that worries me. Well, not exactly worries, but I do think we need to do better with our final ball from those areas. Finding another red shirt with our delivery, instead of a defender (often the first one), would result in plenty more goals, I feel. 

We do score a lot of goals from crosses though.  14/30 of our preseason goals have come from crosses.  It just depends where we hit them in from, the runs if our forwards, defenders marking etc.  if they’re hopeful once’s from the touchline, I agree it’s a poor option.  But the numbers we’ve scored from cutbacks and crosses from signing the boundary of the 18 yard box is pretty impressive.

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

We do score a lot of goals from crosses though.  14/30 of our preseason goals have come from crosses.  It just depends where we hit them in from, the runs if our forwards, defenders marking etc.  if they’re hopeful once’s from the touchline, I agree it’s a poor option.  But the numbers we’ve scored from cutbacks and crosses from signing the boundary of the 18 yard box is pretty impressive.

Interesting stats, haven't we (at least more recently) historically been poor at converting from crosses despite being a crossing side ?

4 hours ago, Porto Red said:

Interesting stats, haven't we (at least more recently) historically been poor at converting from crosses despite being a crossing side ?

Not really.  Just you get one game like Coventry (h) last season where we had 40-odd crosses and scored none, in fact barely found a red head, and the usual suspects on here, social media and radio make it a FACT for the whole season, decade, century! ???

It’s the beauty of stats, when poorly applied, too small a sample, no context given, etc, etc.

No team in the champ scored more from headers last season!

On Cardiff scored less from corners!

A lot depends on what type of crosses, and where they’re played from.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Crosses are just an essential part of how we play. The low drilled cross and the cut back are probably the most productive but we score headers too. Clearly thats what has been discussed on the training ground and so far it seems to work. 

It looks like Roberts can really swing it in, which would be even better if we had some more sizeable aerial presence, but if he can get the ball on Conway's nut then happy days.

17 hours ago, Davefevs said:

⬆️⬆️⬆️

I think tho Dave that the majority decided after about 3 games that he was crap. 

Vyner started off the season as the villain but as he had a decent season the boo balls needed a new target and in came Cornick and he was perfect for them to target due to his slow start here.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mozo said:

Crosses are just an essential part of how we play. The low drilled cross and the cut back are probably the most productive but we score headers too. Clearly thats what has been discussed on the training ground and so far it seems to work. 

It looks like Roberts can really swing it in, which would be even better if we had some more sizeable aerial presence, but if he can get the ball on Conway's nut then happy days.

Disagree, I thought the floated crosses with a player coming in on the back post were more effective, it's had Conway scored 4 or 5 of his goals

1 minute ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I think tho Dave that the majority decided after about 3 games that he was crap. 

Vyner started off the season as the villain but as he had a decent season the boo balls needed a new target and in came Cornick and he was perfect for them to target due to his slow start here.

Vyner made a string of critical mistakes (or weak attempts to win the ball) one sesson, then totally cut the errors out the next season. So maybe that explains the reaction from fans?

In his first few games, Cornick looked clumsy and off the pace (to the majority of observers), hence he got stick, but he can win people over too.

Haydon Roberts has come in (albeit friendlies) and looked sharp, confident and competent, and is therefore getting rave reviews. He might be maligned if he gets some starts and makes a load of errors though.

I don't see a conspiracy or a witch hunt. The majority of football fans say what they see. Simple as that. That's not gonna change and anyone that gets frustrated that the average fan isn't a football statistician or tactical intellectual probably needs to rethink their expectations. 

When you get an audible grumble about a particular player at Ashton Gate, naturally it's counter-productive for the player and the team, but it happens on every terrace in the country and has done since time began. It's not going to change.

6 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Disagree, I thought the floated crosses with a player coming in on the back post were more effective, it's had Conway scored 4 or 5 of his goals

Yeah fair enough 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Davefevs said:

If it’s good enough from Man City then it’s good enough for us!

I think people assume to be good at crosses you need an Eliasson crossing from deep to Fam in the box. Forgetting they rarely played with each other and it’s the easiest ball for defenders to defend.

3 minutes ago, Henry said:

If it’s good enough from Man City then it’s good enough for us!

I think people assume to be good at crosses you need an Eliasson crossing from deep to Fam in the box. Forgetting they rarely played with each other and it’s the easiest ball for defenders to defend.

And Eliasson assisted Diedhiou twice in all their time here!!!

• Like 2