IGNORED

Haydon Roberts

NcnsBcfc

Normally reserve judgement on a player until I see then live and today was the first chance with the Cheltenham game.

Got to say very impressed with Roberts. Technically excellent close control, ability to turn a player, pace and delivery on crosses. Not to mention he very rarely gave the ball away.

Still Pring for me in the LB spot and probably Bell on the left wing, but I really enjoyed watching him today. We certainly have recruited a very good footballer.

Also a shout out for Knight. Very busy around the centre of the park and quite decent in the air for a smaller guy. Not sure I can't really see James/Williams and Knight playing in a three if Scott was to depart though. Still has that look of lack of goals and creativity from the centre, early days though of course.

Great additions to squad depth.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2
  • Robin 1

9 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

Normally reserve judgement on a player until I see then live and today was the first chance with the Cheltenham game.

Got to say very impressed with Roberts. Technically excellent close control, ability to turn a player, pace and delivery on crosses. Not to mention he very rarely gave the ball away.

Still Pring for me in the LB spot and probably Bell on the left wing, but I really enjoyed watching him today. We certainly have recruited a very good footballer.

Also a shout out for Knight. Very busy around the centre of the park and quite decent in the air for a smaller guy. Not sure I can't really see James/Williams and Knight playing in a three if Scott was to depart though. Still has that look of lack of goals and creativity from the centre, early days though of course.

Agree totally, i thought he looked a decent player. I also thought Araoye looks like he’s going to be a good player too 

• Like 1

Just now, Rob k said:

Agree totally, i thought he looked a decent player. I also thought Araoye looks like he’s going to be a good player too 

He is a unit isn't he? Very good touch, and of course a natural LCB. Certainly no way back for Idehen now is there really?

4 minutes ago, Baba Yaga said:

Have to agree I was happy with the 2 new signings tonight, however the January signings Cornick and Mehmeti I was hoping for them to push on from last season but didn't see it, very early days though and hoping for good seasons for them too.

Thought mehmeti looked quite sharp. Cornick wasn’t that impressed.

7 minutes ago, Baba Yaga said:

Have to agree I was happy with the 2 new signings tonight, however the January signings Cornick and Mehmeti I was hoping for them to push on from last season but didn't see it, very early days though and hoping for good seasons for them too.

Agree with both Mehmeti and Cornick. For me, Mehmeti it's a confidence issue which could be resolved but Cornick more down to lack of ability at this level.......he's just not good enough.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, OldlandReddies said:

Agree with both Mehmeti and Cornick. For me, Mehmeti it's a confidence issue which could be resolved but Cornick more down to lack of ability at this level.......he's just not good enough.

Had we been talking about games last season perhaps, but we've been playing teams from lower leagues - if he's still not impressing. Well...

But it's preseason, and he may yet come good.

5 minutes ago, Tom said:

Had we been talking about games last season perhaps, but we've been playing teams from lower leagues - if he's still not impressing. Well...

But it's preseason, and he may yet come good.

Didn't take the haters long to come out of the woodwork did it? 

Give the lad a chance ffs.

• Like 6
  • Confused 1
  • Flames 2
  • Robin 1

2 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Did you not read what I said? I said he might yet come good but I haven't been been impressed with what I've seen. I'm sure Cornick would feel similarly about the second half of last season and his pre-season.

We are allowed to be disappointed with disappointing performances. We don't have to polarise ourselves to be be supporters or haters. It isn't that simple.

• Like 13

6 hours ago, OldlandReddies said:

So he's been good enough at this level for a large part of his senior career, but now he's at City, he's not a Championship level player? 

Amazing.

Personally I think I will trust the judgement of our Management.

Edited by Port Said Red
  • Like 6
  • Hmmm 1
  • Flames 1

7 hours ago, NcnsBcfc said:

Only seen bits on my phone but really impressed with him.

I really rate Pring but it wouldn’t be the biggest shock in the world if he started at LB against PNE.

Still think there are twists and turns to come in the Scott saga, but that aside I reckon the team for the first league game is probably about 90% settled now.

5 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Is giving your honest opinion 'hate'???....

imo Cornick is technically very poor - that was my immediate impression & unfortunately I've seen nothing to change that opinion.

• Like 5
  • Confused 3

28 minutes ago, Son of Fred said:

Is giving your honest opinion 'hate'???....

imo Cornick is technically very poor - that was my immediate impression & unfortunately I've seen nothing to change that opinion.

That cross that led to the goal wasn't technically poor tho was it? Before that he executed a lovely pass from the wing into the centre through a number of Cheltenham players which also wasn't technically poor. 

At Bristol City we have an element of our fanbase that always have to have one player that they have it in for, right now, that Cornick.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

8 hours ago, NcnsBcfc said:

He is a unit isn't he? Very good touch, and of course a natural LCB. Certainly no way back for Idehen now is there really?

Won't stop Headhunter claiming he's in the land of the banished though, despite an obvious reason. I too was impressed with Aaroye, didn't look at all fazed. 

Odd how people see things, I thought Roberts wasn’t great, but was better 2nd half than 1st half. Looked like he didn’t want to get forward at a first half and that could have been on instruction. Completely different player than Pring be amazed and disappointed if he starts ahead of Pring v PNE. 

My biggest concern is that midfield still so in balanced the 3 that started last won’t do well regularly as a 3 in the championship on a regular basis no creation, lack of skill (not battle) no dominance or height. Even if Scott doesn’t go we need a player with some flair who can play forward in midfield create opportunities and link play there was non of that last night. For me wide of the forwards the only 2 players in our squad who have anything about them moving forward are Scott and Pring. 

It’s refreshing to read such promising reviews from the preseason so far, particularly the new recruits who are obviously hoping to impress Nige with their performances.

However as Tom said its pre season against modest opposition and not too much can read into the results - it’s the individual performances that really matter and an opportunity for the coaches to look at some of the youngsters.

Of course winning games enhances morale for for all concerned - so far so good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Won't stop Headhunter claiming he's in the land of the banished though, despite an obvious reason. I too was impressed with Aaroye, didn't look at all fazed. 

I wouldn’t be shocked if he ended up at cheltenham on loan, or maybe Francois. Wade said post match it’s “good to have friendlies with us so they can see our players”

• Like 1

1 hour ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

That cross that led to the goal wasn't technically poor tho was it? Before that he executed a lovely pass from the wing into the centre through a number of Cheltenham players which also wasn't technically poor. 

At Bristol City we have an element of our fanbase that always have to have one player that they have it in for, right now, that Cornick.

The likelihood that everyone will rate every member of a squad is pretty low, I would have thought, but in my experience when a player has been largely unrated by a good number of fans it’s usually because they’ve - ahem - not been very good.

For the record, I want City to succeed and I want every player to play their part, but the fact is that, as I think everyone can see (including yourself, I would expect), Cornick has been hugely disappointing so far.  No one is saying he doesn’t have any technique or spirit, but so far he has largely failed to deliver.  I hope he finds his mojo and transforms into the player we need, and I admire your optimism, but at some point he has to start delivering at the level we need and so far it simply ain’t happening.

• Like 4

Never thought we'd have an issue of too many good players on the left side being where we've been at times in that department in recent years but if Roberts can give Pring a run for his money what would people think of Bell in the middle and Pring being allowed the LWF role to see what he can do? I've always thought Pring is better going forward than he is defending, although he's great at both, and I think a lot of the time he doesn't push on to ensure we're not caught on the counter. I wonder how good he could be if Roberts was at LB, he was allowed to play that LWF role and Bell was in the middle? That said we have Mehmeti, Bell is on fire in that position atm.... it's a good problem to have.

1 hour ago, mightyreds89 said:

Odd how people see things, I thought Roberts wasn’t great, but was better 2nd half than 1st half. Looked like he didn’t want to get forward at a first half and that could have been on instruction. Completely different player than Pring be amazed and disappointed if he starts ahead of Pring v PNE. 

My biggest concern is that midfield still so in balanced the 3 that started last won’t do well regularly as a 3 in the championship on a regular basis no creation, lack of skill (not battle) no dominance or height. Even if Scott doesn’t go we need a player with some flair who can play forward in midfield create opportunities and link play there was non of that last night. For me wide of the forwards the only 2 players in our squad who have anything about them moving forward are Scott and Pring. 

The player you are describing is Scott. If he stays the midfield is fine. ( a lot better  than fine)If he doesn’t he will definitely need replacing.

2 hours ago, mightyreds89 said:

Fair point because I too didn't think much of Roberts performance in the first half but I was much closer to the side he was playing on in the 2nd half and I could see clearer and thought he did quite well going forwards especially in the closing stages. Likewise with Cornick it was the 2nd half on my mind but when watching back the highlights he was more involved in the first 45 than I recalled last night.

I see Cornick as one of the those players who are really annoying when they are on the opposition, but underappreciated when they are on your side. He puts himself around and pressures defenders to make mistakes, he's not going to dribble through the defence and score a wonder goal, but he has an impact for the team. 

• Like 6
  • Hmmm 1

If I had to make a snap judgement on what I've seen in the friendlies...

Roberts looks an all round high quality modern full back.

Knight has outstanding work rate but a bit of a Weimann in that his end product is inconsistent. 

Dickie is a big composed defender.

McCrorie I haven't sewn enough.

Obvious caveat is this is just what I've seen so far and no doubt others will see it differently. 

• Like 1