IGNORED

Post Portsmouth Thoughts

Silvio Dante

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I posted this on another thread last night:

image.thumb.png.df9f9c232b4234408cf0dda9e8124b7f.png

Sorry Dave (and @E.G.Red) - missed that last night.

(Great minds……..though, eh?!)

But as both @chinapig and @1960maaan allude to, it’s a bit hard to figure out NPs various comments on this. And it does appear from both the tail end of last season, and from this summer’s pre season that we’re setting up to play 3 across the front.

We’ll see, I guess! 

Edited by italian dave

50 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I loved those two as a pair , and I think it was as threatening a pairing we have had for some time, but ....
I think Nige likes the (sort of) front 3 ( though he has also said he likes a 2 ) and even I think Wells is wasted as that left side forward.  
There will probably be times we may go back to the 2, we are very flexible , but I believe to start we will see one of TC & NW.

I’d love the front 6:

Conway / Wells

Bell / Mehmeti

Sykes / Cornick

become a front two of:

Conway / Wells / Bell / Cornick

with Scott / Weimann / Mehmeti competing for the one in behind and Sykes dropping into the midfield equation.

But that’s just me playing “Football Manager”.

I’m sure things will evolve over the season.  No manager ends up in May playing what he he thinks is his best eleven / best system in August.  Most managers don’t even make it past August! ?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Sorry Dave (and @E.G.Red) - missed that last night.

(Great minds……..though, eh?!)

But as both @chinapig and @1960maaan allude to, it’s a bit hard to figure out NPs various comments on this. And it does appear from both the tail end of last season, and from this summer’s pre season that we’re setting up to play 3 across the front.

We’ll see, I guess! 

He shows he's not stuck in his ways. He came in and said he preferred a back 4, but he predominantly played a 3 as he thought that was best for what we had. He's got around to a back 4 but now he seems to think for what we have we suit a sort of front 3 . I will say though, what ever team he has put out , they have been flexible and fluid. Who's to say we won't play 2 up top at times. I like how Nige has evolved the side , taking notice of what he has and how best to use them, not blinkered at all when it comes to shape.

1 hour ago, italian dave said:

Are we past playing them both as a front two? Does that have too many implications for how we’re now set up? 

There were two games towards the end of last season where Conway played just off Wells (Reading H and Stoke A). 4 points from 2 games so you never know we might see it once or twice this season

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TammyAB said:

There were two games towards the end of last season where Conway played just off Wells (Reading H and Stoke A). 4 points from 2 games so you never know we might see it once or twice this season

Two summers ago there was a bit of talk that Tommy was being groomed to be Andi’s replacement behind the front two (as it was at the time).  He played a bit there that pre-season.

But to me, he’s the one I want up top.

23 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

He shows he's not stuck in his ways. He came in and said he preferred a back 4, but he predominantly played a 3 as he thought that was best for what we had. He's got around to a back 4 but now he seems to think for what we have we suit a sort of front 3 . I will say though, what ever team he has put out , they have been flexible and fluid. Who's to say we won't play 2 up top at times. I like how Nige has evolved the side , taking notice of what he has and how best to use them, not blinkered at all when it comes to shape.

That’s true, although that’s partly what makes me think the default is the 3. Up to now, what we had hasn’t been entirely his doing. Now it is - and as you say that seems to mean that he starts with a 3.

But yes I also think that flexibility is important. I sometimes struggle with the difference between ‘flexible and fluid’ and ‘tinkering and worrying more about the opposition’!! I guess it depends on the result! Or the manager! 
But, seriously, yes I’m all for that flexibility and adaptability if we can use it wisely. And ‘in-match’ too - I think having players who can adapt in real time during the game is important and we seem to be developing that. 

19 minutes ago, TammyAB said:

In fairness, we always get points at Stoke! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Pretty much agree with your post but I thought Scully was a real menace for them. 
I still think Towler will have a good career and Tinnion said he told him that we like him and if he progresses then in four years time we could buy him back. 

I thought he said that in four years time Towler would be out of contract and that as we like him and he's Bristol City through and through we could resign him for free, everyone's a winner (except for Portsmouth)!!!

Edited by Redtucks
  • Like 1

Like Dave, I thought the high press was superb in the first 45, not so good in the 2nd period though. Out of interest, would one player call it or do the players know the triggers?

Pompey couldn't live with it during the first period and regularly gave us the ball back higher up the pitch. Great stuff!

On the TC / Nahki debate, I would normally have been firmly in the TC camp, he's awesome, but would actually give Nahki the start on Saturday given pre season performances unless Nige plays Nahki on the right with TC through the middle? He's done it before.

Edited by Ska Junkie

2 hours ago, INCRED said:

Bell is still a bit raw in some aspects but I can see why he is being watched. Conway is one I believe could be a top player and if he continues his development and looking at how his physique is developing I quietly fancy he will be a real star for us this season

Whats exciting is that we have 5-6 players that are going to make us a really attractive team to watch and a nightmare for teams to play against 

The last 3-4 seasons have been full of inconsistency and at times disappointments but I just feel a lot more hopeful and even excited at seeing what we can do this season 

PNE next Saturday will be a decent crowd and full of expectations so I just hope we hit the ground running and get amongst the front runners as our first 4 games in my opinion are all games we should be looking for maximum points from 

Millwall will be a very tough game , I think they well maybe dark horses this year , doesn’t help us playing them the day they mourn / celebrate the life of there chairman 

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I’d love the front 6:

Conway / Wells

Bell / Mehmeti

Sykes / Cornick

become a front two of:

Conway / Wells / Bell / Cornick

with Scott / Weimann / Mehmeti competing for the one in behind and Sykes dropping into the midfield equation.

But that’s just me playing “Football Manager”.

I’m sure things will evolve over the season.  No manager ends up in May playing what he he thinks is his best eleven / best system in August.  Most managers don’t even make it past August! ?

Conway playing off Cornick is another, more traditional, option. Maybe something we'll see if we need to change a game...

17 hours ago, Davefevs said:

This is something I know the coaches and Rennie have been working on specifically.

As for the Bell / Mehmeti debate, I was just chatting (DM’ing) to @Graham c about this.  Bell is great when we are knocking balls over / inside the full-back, but the rest of his game isn’t very mature…he is a bit one-dimensional.  Mehmeti contributes to patterns much more than Bell but is a bit inconsistent with his product.

It’s a good problem for Nige.  Opponents style,  defensive line, home or away might play into selection more for these two than anyone other selections.

Bell away. Mehmeti home.

• Like 1