IGNORED

Sound of the City

Red Army 75

52 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

He's signed up for Classic FM to present 'Twentyman Talks Bach'.

Much in demand is GT.

I hear he was asked to do a podcast for The Woodland Trust.

Twentyman Talks Bark.

But he had to tell them he'd already committed to do Twentyman Talks Bark for the Dog's Trust. :doh:

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

Anyone want to do a quick summary? Since this thread is quiet I’d imagine it was fairly run of the mill ?

Biggest talking point I reckon is that he said even if we sell Scott we won’t be able to sign many more players as we are at the top end of our wage budget already.

He also referred to us looking to sign one more player which I inferred was a goalkeeper (although he didn’t specify that).

The rest of it was the usual stuff but he seemed happy with how things are shaping up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, pl00peh91 said:

Have to say there’s an unnerving serenity and lack of controversy / drama about this whole pre-season period. Hopefully that reflects well in our performances and we can have a stress free season for once!

There's nothing stress free about challenging for the title.?

• Flames 1
  • Robin 1

14 minutes ago, pl00peh91 said:

Biggest talking point I reckon is that he said even if we sell Scott we won’t be able to sign many more players as we are at the top end of our wage budget already.

He also referred to us looking to sign one more player which I inferred was a goalkeeper (although he didn’t specify that).

The rest of it was the usual stuff but he seemed happy with how things are shaping up.

Can anyone explain how this works? And when any potential AS-transfer funds could be reinvested in the squad?

4 minutes ago, firstdivision said:

Can anyone explain how this works? And when any potential AS-transfer funds could be reinvested in the squad?

We could perhaps use the money to subsidise an increase in the wage budget but that is the Mark Ashton way and we know what that can lead to.

It seems we have set a limit and are going to stick to it. Good financial management imo.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

• Admin
16 minutes ago, firstdivision said:

Basically we pissed so much money up the wall in the past that we need to balance the books (FFP) and the easiest way is to make a big SALE, this will massively take off future spending restrictions. 

Hence why we are looking for £10m up front and the remaining balance paid over the following two years 

I honestly thought that it was accepted that it didn't suddenly mean we have spare money in the bank to spend 

• Like 1

Just listened & the only surprise was NP appeared to say he didn’t expect Rob Atkinson back until potentially the New Year?

As for the one further addition that seems likely to either be goalkeeping cover or a CB, based on his answers.

Very grateful that they do this but not the first time there have been mobile signal issues with Nige so why it isn’t pre recorded & those glitches ironed out beats me.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, phantom said:

Basically we pissed so much money up the wall in the past that we need to balance the books (FFP) and the easiest way is to make a big SALE, this will massively take off future spending restrictions. 

Hence why we are looking for £10m up front and the remaining balance paid over the following two years 

I honestly thought that it was accepted that it didn't suddenly mean we have spare money in the bank to spend 

I’m sure some thought if we get £20 million + for Scott we could afford to spend at least half of it,thankfully the days of Johnson and Ashton are long behind us 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, phantom said:

& Scott is such a low earner, it won’t make a difference to the wage bill which is/was the major issue. Very different to Palmer/Bentley/JD/HNM going. But that’s far more in line with ‘normal’ now. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, chinapig said:

We could perhaps use the money to subsidise an increase in the wage budget but that is the Mark Ashton way and we know what that can lead to.

It seems we have set a limit and are going to stick to it. Good financial management imo.

I don't understand why we couldn't allocate x amount of money from the sale for wages over the next 3/4 years? 

I think the issue seems to be is we have set a limit on how much any given player will earn and that we will not budge from that. That's quite wise but it does limit the type of players we can bring in. 

• Like 1

Just now, W-S-M Seagull said:

I don't understand why we couldn't allocate x amount of money from the sale for wages over the next 3/4 years? 

I think the issue seems to be is we have set a limit on how much any given player will earn and that we will not budge from that. That's quite wise but it does limit the type of players we can bring in. 

Jees, nothing to do with ffp then and how much we have spunked previously 

35 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

I’m sure some thought if we get £20 million + for Scott we could afford to spend at least half of it,thankfully the days of Johnson and Ashton are long behind us 

I think that was fueled by them saying we have a transfer plan for if Scott stays and we have a transfer plan for if Scott goes and that we can easily pivot. 

What Pearson said today goes against that but maybe these sound bites aren't for us but for clubs that we are looking to do buisness with. Pearson is very savy with how he uses the media! 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

Perhaps he's also suggesting tight finances regardless of any potential AS money to stop other clubs thinking we're quids in and they can charge us inflated prices ?

EXACTLY this. 

Pearson knows how to use the media to our advantage. 

It's likely that we are already in preliminary talks with clubs/agents pending the Scott sale. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

5 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

Not that i expect us to spend much should Scott leave, but would anyone think Pearson would give much away?

IMO Pearson has been upfront regarding signing information with the supporters, since he’s been here. We might sign a couple, but I have no reason to doubt it 

1 minute ago, Red Army 75 said:

IMO Pearson has been upfront regarding signing information with the supporters, since he’s been here. We might sign a couple, but I have no reason to doubt it 

Yeah agree with that Pearson is as straight as they come, but don't think he would come on air and say should Scott leave this is the plan.

• Like 1