IGNORED

Owls v Saints

Lanterne Rouge

1 minute ago, Jerseybean said:

Get used to this

15 extra minutes 

6 additional minutes at the end of the first half and 9 at the end of the second 

yup, was just going to say this. Might make some very tight timings for fans catching buses and trains etc.

5 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Get used to this

15 extra minutes 

6 additional minutes at the end of the first half and 9 at the end of the second 

Cascarino said a bit in the Times about one way it maybe exploited.

Managers of weaker sides may look to spoil the game a bit more, in order to disrupt the flow making it a bit more of a lottery in that long extra time with fatigue etc kicking in. In theory it should favour the stronger side but not always..

8 minutes ago, DaveF said:

None of them really prem standard which is scary.

I’ve always really liked Stuart Armstrong.  No idea why he’s never consistently  produced - the fact that he was only sub maybe tells me I’m a shit judge of player ? Aribo was superb whenever I saw him at Rangers and maybe just adjusting.   Adams - hot and cold.  One of those who will be superb at this level but not quite good enough at the top level. 

1 hour ago, TV Tom said:

Of course, but the rules are quite clear (whether a good rule or not)  personally i think whoever touches the ball last should be awarded the "goal" irrespective of whether that's an attacker or defender 

How often does a keeper get his fingers to a shot that goes in, hell of a lot of “defender own goals” there? ??

3 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

They got close. 

I didn't watch but was it as one sided as the stats suggest?

Screenshot_20230804-230336.png

In general play, probably. A smidge closer 2nd half but xG is about right. If anyone was going to get a wiiner it was always likely to be Southampton.

Still not convinced on Martin's syle of play for the Champ but with a talented side as he now has, if they get into a groove they'll probably end up where most would expect this season.

I really, really, really dislike Russell Martin.  The smoke that gets blown up his arse does my head in.

Southampton will go well this season (I hope they do shit).  Russell Martin will be up to the fans giving it large after every win, as if he’s the messiah.  He’s just got an exceptional bunch of players for the level (as it stands).  When Martin shows he can coach a team to defend, I’ll start to give him credit.

At least Kompany showed humility.

• Flames 1

Sheffield Wednesday weren't as bad as people made out, and are no gimme for relegation. They at times looked a threat and defended well against probably the best team in the league on paper. When it went 1-1, there was a period of 10-15 minutes where despite not having the ball a lot, the few times they got it, they looked dangerous. Bannan put in some useful crosses and Southampton defensively looked vulnerable.

Southampton did control the game in midfield, with a lot of slow build up play, and killed the game without needing to do anything stupid, but they constantly played for free kicks, slowed the game down and looked vulnerable when Sheffield Wednesday came at them. They were a little wasteful up top as well, spending too much wanting to place the ball in the net then have a go.

Southampton for all their possession, made heavy work of a game Burnley last season would have won by 2 or 3 goals. In both halves Southampton seemed to take 10 minutes or so to find their stride, and in the second half this resulted in a Wednesday goal. 

Wednesday defended well, we're nowhere near as dirty as Southampton when it came to fouls and if anything looked lacking up top. If Southampton are promotion fodder, then Wednesday are not relegation fodder for sure, and if Wednesday are relegation fodder, then Southampton are by no means good things for top 6. Stats are often misleading, for all Southampton had all the possession in the world, they didn't utilise it in the manner of which champions elect do.

There will be worse teams than Wednesday this season.

48 minutes ago, robinforlife2 said:

Sheffield Wednesday weren't as bad as people made out, and are no gimme for relegation. They at times looked a threat and defended well against probably the best team in the league on paper. When it went 1-1, there was a period of 10-15 minutes where despite not having the ball a lot, the few times they got it, they looked dangerous. Bannan put in some useful crosses and Southampton defensively looked vulnerable.

Southampton did control the game in midfield, with a lot of slow build up play, and killed the game without needing to do anything stupid, but they constantly played for free kicks, slowed the game down and looked vulnerable when Sheffield Wednesday came at them. They were a little wasteful up top as well, spending too much wanting to place the ball in the net then have a go.

Southampton for all their possession, made heavy work of a game Burnley last season would have won by 2 or 3 goals. In both halves Southampton seemed to take 10 minutes or so to find their stride, and in the second half this resulted in a Wednesday goal. 

Wednesday defended well, we're nowhere near as dirty as Southampton when it came to fouls and if anything looked lacking up top. If Southampton are promotion fodder, then Wednesday are not relegation fodder for sure, and if Wednesday are relegation fodder, then Southampton are by no means good things for top 6. Stats are often misleading, for all Southampton had all the possession in the world, they didn't utilise it in the manner of which champions elect do.

There will be worse teams than Wednesday this season.

In fairness it's only one game so impossible to judge, we don't know how good, bad or indifferent either team are yet