IGNORED

Owls v Saints

Lanterne Rouge

9 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

They got close. 

I didn't watch but was it as one sided as the stats suggest?

Screenshot_20230804-230336.png

80% possession and expected goal of 1 perfectly sums up Southamptons performance and the game in general. I'm sticking to my thoughts that Wednesday are relegation fodder but the Martin factor might hold back Southampton

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

80% possession and expected goal of 1 perfectly sums up Southamptons performance and the game in general. I'm sticking to my thoughts that Wednesday are relegation fodder but the Martin factor might hold back Southampton

True, ultimately Martin's pass-you-to-death style didn't do much for Swansea. Maybe, maybe Southampton have better players up front to take advantage, but I think that's arguable. I still think Saints will be top 4, but it's pretty clear, even from one game, that Martin hasn't changed his ethos.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

True, ultimately Martin's pass-you-to-death style didn't do much for Swansea. Maybe, maybe Southampton have better players up front to take advantage, but I think that's arguable. I still think Saints will be top 4, but it's pretty clear, even from one game, that Martin hasn't changed his ethos.

I thought after the first 20 mins i wouldn’t be worried about playing either side

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, 22A said:

Hmm 2014-15 the season opener on the Friday night was on TV. City won 2-1 at the Blades.

Will Utd & Weds fans now campaign not to be on TV for the season opener?

It was on the saturday from memory, although on SKY.

2 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Having started with a high tempo, high pressing approach there was a long spell in the middle third of the game when they reverted to the usual Martin style of passing backwards and sideways at walking pace.

But Wednesday didn't press at all to disrupt them. Indeed Bannan's approach to pressing was to stand still and stare at the player in possession.

I reckon that an energetic team with a well organised press could cause them problems.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rob k said:

I thought after the first 20 mins i wouldn’t be worried about playing either side

Could say that about at least 20 of the teams in the Championship last season! I wouldn't be surprised if this season is similar, though I do think the overall quality has improved. It's just ALL about who can be the most consistent throughout the season.