IGNORED

Worried about Pearson?

Ivorguy

On 10/08/2023 at 16:49, cotswoldred2 said:

Two and a half years he has been here, probably the longest tenure in the Championship, he will need a couple more seasons to fulfil his targets, but not sure he will stay that long, he is a stubborn so and so if he has the mind to go he will and won't shift. His stewardship has seen this club put back onto sound footings, the future looks better, however selling your best players will not enhance his confidence.

The problem is not Pearson it is of course SL's holding back, we needed to push on now, keep the likes of Scott if we were to get promoted. Many on here say it was ineveitable Scott would go, and it was given SL's attitude, and the way we are, still the laughing stock, however it is an indication of lack of real ambition.

Typical City we have again been let down, hopefully we will get new owners that want it as bad as the fans do.

Good post mate

On 10/08/2023 at 16:49, cotswoldred2 said:

Two and a half years he has been here, probably the longest tenure in the Championship, he will need a couple more seasons to fulfil his targets, but not sure he will stay that long, he is a stubborn so and so if he has the mind to go he will and won't shift. His stewardship has seen this club put back onto sound footings, the future looks better, however selling your best players will not enhance his confidence.

The problem is not Pearson it is of course SL's holding back, we needed to push on now, keep the likes of Scott if we were to get promoted. Many on here say it was ineveitable Scott would go, and it was given SL's attitude, and the way we are, still the laughing stock, however it is an indication of lack of real ambition.

Typical City we have again been let down, hopefully we will get new owners that want it as bad as the fans do.

To be fair, look around we are far from unique. We maybe one of the worst for it and SL now has to back NP as far as possible within sensible limits. Ambition hut not ruinously.

Coventry and Gykores- Oh no, wait gone- and Hamer looks likely.

Middlesbrough- Have done very well to keep hold of their 29 goal striker Akpom with interest from Sheffield United, Lens and Ajax..Oh wait he's probably off.

Norwich- Aarons. Final year of Parachute Payments etc.

Watford- Still Parachute bolstered, and some decent sales last hear might have seen them keep one of Sarr and Pedro. Nope, Asprilla also linked with Brighton.

Which clubs are you comparing us to unfavourably btw.

Key will be now reinvesting some of this in NP's ideal targets.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

To be fair, look around we are far from unique. We maybe one of the worst for it and SL now has to back NP as far as possible within sensible limits. Ambition hut not ruinously.

Middlesbrough- Have done very well to keep hold of their 29 goal striker Akpom with interest from Sheffield United, Lens and Ajax..Oh wait he's probably off.

Watford- Still Parachute bolstered, and some decent sales last hear might have seen them keep one of Sarr and Pedro. Nope, Asprilla also linked with Brighton.

Hear, abso-bloody-lutely hear!

1 hour ago, johnbytheriver said:

I remember the home made wine craze of the late 70's and early 80's, i ended up face down in the garden talking to the cabbages, hope the same fate has not befallen Nige!

Were you trying to recreate a west-country version of the Godfather? ???

• Like 1

14 hours ago, chinapig said:

He can't praise Nigel without in effect admitting that his own decisions got the club into the mess that Nigel had to fix.

Admitting he got things wrong is not something Steve seems willing or able to do. A case of 'I'm a billionaire so I must be right" perhaps.

If Nige is operating precisely within the restrictive parameters agreed between them, and has ticked most of the objectives (changing the culture, upward trend, blooding young talent, moving on high earners, balancing the books, cup run etc), then Lansdown absolutely should praise the manager, and is bloody rude if he doesn't!

The only scenario I can imagine whereby SL doesn't publicly thank NP is one whereby behind the scenes they really don't get on.

That's a conspiracy theory, albeit not totally unfounded, but it's hard not to jump to crude theories when Lansdown is incapable of using the usual opportunities to say the right thing.

I genuinely don't see Nige being in the role next season unless we genuinely compete for top 6.

And I worry about who would be appointed next...

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mozo said:

The only scenario I can imagine whereby SL doesn't publicly thank NP is one whereby behind the scenes they really don't get on.

Perfectly plausible I think since Nigel is likely to speak his mind. He may not have been forgiven for saying our previous strategy was bonkers.

Perhaps Nigel needs to learn from LJ and say how wonderful the Lansdowns are on a weekly basis.?

On 10/08/2023 at 16:10, Mr Popodopolous said:

The wider reports were £20m base fee and £5m in add-ons.

In layman's we get £20m irrespective but the rest obviously has to be triggered to materialise, probably via various clauses and events.

Did I imagine it, or did I see somewhere talk of ‘plus guaranteed add-ons’.

I’ve no idea what that is, and what the difference is between the basic fee and a guaranteed add on?! 

3 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Did I imagine it, or did I see somewhere talk of ‘plus guaranteed add-ons’.

I’ve no idea what that is, and what the difference is between the basic fee and a guaranteed add on?! 

You did, hence why I did my post on the lingo…again!

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

You did, hence why I did my post on the lingo…again!

Thanks Dave. Sorry: missed that one. And do we know what a ‘guaranteed add-on’ means? At the moment it seems like AS isn’t even guaranteed fit enough to start a game, so short of an add on for him posing for pictures in a Bournemouth shirt, I’m struggling! 

15 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Thanks Dave. Sorry: missed that one. And do we know what a ‘guaranteed add-on’ means? At the moment it seems like AS isn’t even guaranteed fit enough to start a game, so short of an add on for him posing for pictures in a Bournemouth shirt, I’m struggling! 

It’s a terms I’ve only ever heard used badly / ambiguously!!! ?

Heres the post!

IMG_8317.thumb.jpeg.4b4a83ee2adf9a9e1c99c40b0f14969e.jpeg

As for add-ons, here are some true-life examples:

image.thumb.png.75d8dd7bf8b064647dc87a03dec00804.png

These were all tribunal based add-ons and sell-ons, but it gives a broad idea of things that can be included.

One of our recent signings has a very ambitious add-on.  It would be wrong of me to divulge, but it is very unlikely!

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Think that’s what they call a slam dunk - all those calling us lacking ambition have no idea of the footballing landscape outside Bristol City.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Compare us with all the clubs that have played in the Prem....need I elaborate?

9 minutes ago, cotswoldred2 said:

Compare us with all the clubs that have played in the Prem....need I elaborate?

Well Luton lost their star player to us no less and went again. They punched well above their budget however.

Brentford sold many many stars, Norwich sold their shining star in Maddison in June 2018 and Murphy who was useful, Sheffield United sold Brooks going into the new season.

Nottingham Forest kept Johnson and I have to query their position in respect of Covid etc. I don't agree at all with their BS of £12m for the year Post Covid, supposed losses- without that FFP would have been failed or Johnson would have had to go. The rules have again tightened since. 

Are we comparing like with like, Parachute v Non Parachute v Recent Parachute btw? It's not exactly a simple analysis for a forum thread.

I think Leeds made some sales, spent quite big in areas too but Bielsa truly transformed a lot of what was there already.

The Parachute Payments and the chasm is so important, especially for top 2 places. 7 out of the last 10, indeed 7 of the last 8, the last 6 in the entirety all in receipt of Parachute Payments in the year of Promotion.

Playoffs more varied yes, 6 of the last 10 Play-off finalists were not in receipt of Parachute Payments. Neither were the last 3 winners.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous