IGNORED

Taking my 6 year old to Millwall

Wilse

Hi all,

I’m just seeking some advice. I’m currently in London and thinking about getting tickets to Millwall for my 6 year old and I. (We live in the US so it would be his first City game!)

Is this a good idea? Partly because it’s Millwall, but I was also wondering if away fans tend to stand up at the Den and if that makes it hard for a young’un to see?! 

Apologies for a random question! 

• Robin 3

Although when I went in 2018, me and some mates got told to sit down which came as a surprise!

For a crunch play-off clash, ahead of the Easter weekend, level on points!

We did of course sit when asked but we weren't that close to the front so it was a bit of a surprise- many around us were sat too.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

31 minutes ago, Wilse said:

Hi all,

I’m just seeking some advice. I’m currently in London and thinking about getting tickets to Millwall for my 6 year old and I. (We live in the US so it would be his first City game!)

Is this a good idea? Partly because it’s Millwall, but I was also wondering if away fans tend to stand up at the Den and if that makes it hard for a young’un to see?! 

Mate. If you have tickets with our supporters it will be fun. IF YOU HAVE NOT AND YOU ARE GOING IN THE HOME TERRACES I WOULD REPORT YOU TO CHILD PROTECTION OFFICIALS. I hope that helps!

5 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

I lived in New Cross for a bit. It's no where near as bad as you think it will be. Millwall are actually a decent family club and have worked hard to make it a good experience. Stay on the beaten track, don't be a dick and you'll have a good day. 

And don’t get tickets in the home sections!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

I lived in New Cross for a bit. It's no where near as bad as you think it will be. Millwall are actually a decent family club and have worked hard to make it a good experience. Stay on the beaten track, don't be a dick and you'll have a good day. 

Agreed. Millwall was a sketchy day out in the 80s, I did it on several occasions and saw it close up. Today, it is much like many football grounds. If you want trouble, you will find it, if you don’t, you will be fine. Just enjoy the day out and ignore the Stone Island wannabees.

Thanks all! Tickets purchased in the away end. I didn’t contemplate getting tickets in the home end. More because I wouldn’t want my son’s first City game to be surrounded by away fans, regardless of the team. Hopefully I can get him singing a few songs! 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Wilse said:

Thanks all! Tickets purchased in the away end. I didn’t contemplate getting tickets in the home end. More because I wouldn’t want my son’s first City game to be surrounded by away fans, regardless of the team. Hopefully I can get him singing a few songs! 

My old man is always a good one to get em started 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Wilse said:

Hi all,

I'm taking my 8 year old. If you fancy meeting up and sitting with another dad and his son drop me a DM. 

• Like 2
  • Robin 2

7 hours ago, Wilse said:

Hope you and your son enjoy the game and it lives long in the memory.

• Like 3

• Admin
56 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I’ve done this with my son in the past but a child standing on a tip-seat in a busy away end during exciting moments is not an ideal situation believe me!

I can remember seeing a young lad slip between the seat and the seat back, not a pleasant outcome for the young lad 

On 10/08/2023 at 16:33, Wilse said:

Hi all,

Bet he loved that! What a way to win a football match. 

• Like 1

On 10/08/2023 at 23:09, WolfOfWestStreet said:

I lived in New Cross for a bit. It's no where near as bad as you think

I wouldn't say that. I had a mate who lived in New Cross at one time and every time I visited him and we went for a pint in the Royal Albert there would be a different yellow sign outside appealing for witnesses to various stabbings. 

On 11/08/2023 at 01:52, redrob said:

I'm taking my 8 year old. If you fancy meeting up and sitting with another dad and his son drop me a DM. 

On 11/08/2023 at 07:54, Wilse said:

Thanks for your offer! I’ve sent you a DM. 

Hope you guys and the kids had a bloody good time!!

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I wouldn't say that. I had a mate who lived in New Cross at one time and every time I visited him and we went for a pint in the Royal Albert there would be a different yellow sign outside appealing for witnesses to various stabbings. 

Been a few times in recent years ie talking mid to late 2010s, not too bad tbh. It has become somewhat gentrified, but it may depend on when you were in situ there.

On 10/08/2023 at 23:09, WolfOfWestStreet said:

The comfort and the joy of feeling lost, with the only living boy in New Cross.

• Like 6
  • Flames 1

50 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Just a bit of harmless fun

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Yeah it used to be pretty rough, I went to goldsmiths uni so lived there 2002-3.

Got bottled in a nightclub called the Venue because I accidentally spilt some lager on some meatheads shoes. 

Then got chased down depford high street by a Millwall crew because I had a portmouth fc pin badge on my coat. Landlord of the Hobgoblin, knew something was up so tried to get me to leave through the back but they were waiting. 

Character building ?

• Haha 3