IGNORED

Scott Twine - Loan Confirmed - No option to buy

Shauntaylor85

Twine is too expensive and far too late in his development to sign him compared to when we should have signed him. It’s a no from me. As above, do t see the point in a loan as he’s not ours and would still be far to expensive to buy beyond a loan.

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Even if Twine is that good, he alone isn’t enough.

And, surely, that is the crux of the problem.

Firstly, at £5M he would be far too expensive, and even if he was ‘only’ £4M, what would it solve?

I don’t believe one additional player is going to guide us to the playoffs, so why not wait until the summer or, if need be, take him on a ‘loan to buy, but, even then, surely not at more than £3M at most.

• Like 2

A loan would be stupid, we have zero chance of winning the play-offs and very very unlikely to finish top 6.

If it was a permanent deal for around £3mil in this window or the summer then fair play, but a loan in January (when we must assume we would be paying a fair wedge for it considering Burnley would be recalling him from Hull) then wow……we all know Tinnion is absolutely clueless (as his awful stint back in 2004/2005 shown) but this would seem a dumb way of using some of the finances that the club worked so hard on sorting over the past 3 years.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mr Hankey said:

A loan would be stupid, we have zero chance of winning the play-offs and very very unlikely to finish top 6.

If it was a permanent deal for around £3mil in this window or the summer then fair play, but a loan in January (when we must assume we would be paying a fair wedge for it considering Burnley would be recalling him from Hull) then wow……we all know Tinnion is absolutely clueless (as his awful stint back in 2004/2005 shown) but this would seem a dumb way of using some of the finances that the club worked so hard on sorting over the past 3 years.

Very harsh on Tinnion and he is doing a different job now.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

And, surely, that is the crux of the problem.

Firstly, at £5M he would be far too expensive, and even if he was ‘only’ £4M, what would it solve?

I don’t believe one additional player is going to guide us to the playoffs, so why not wait until the summer or, if need be, take him on a ‘loan to buy, but, even then, surely not at more than £3M at most.

One additional player wont get us in the play offs, but we have to start somewhere with good championship players, someone has to be the first of the 3/4 we need, and it’s clearly one of the positions we need to sort as a priority… a starting midfield of twine, knight and tgh bought in with the scott fee is about as good as we could reasonably expect

22 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Worth seeing if he can fit in here for me on loan and not commit to buying him this month. Same with TGH. Lets see how we get on for the rest of the season and commit to these loans. 

See, I also don’t understand the ‘loan with a view to buy’. 
Manning has already managed this player for a year. The most successful year both of them have had in football. 
We don’t need to ‘try before you buy’. 
Manning knows what he can bring and knows he can work with him. 

If Manning wants him then just buy him. What’s the point of a ‘try before you buy’. 

Again, I just wouldn’t spend resource on a loan at all. I also wouldn’t spend £5m on him. 
But if LM sees him as key then just buy him. Why bother with a loan 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Mr Hankey said:

You’ve just got to hope that if it is true then the buy option isn’t the 5 mill reported. You would think the people involved in the dealings know that 5 mill is too much. I think a 3 mill option is fair 

1 minute ago, BS3 Ark at Ee said:

Seems like panic stations....they’ve stated we have a top 6 squad and now realise that Manning can’t get anymore than Pearson did out of the squad.....and Nige did it with a bigger injury crisis than Manning currently has 

If only they would have given Nige this 5 million to spend in the summer then I'd have been pretty optimistic about a top 6 finish.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Loosey Boy said:

I’m all for a loan with an option to buy at say £3m in the summer.

I do think that Twine could be a great addition for us and so if we can’t do a “sensible” permanent deal now, would hope we’d have an option at the end of the season. 

But what’s the point of an “option”. 
Manning knows him. Why would we need to have him on a 4 month trial?? It’s a waste of time and money. If we want him just buy him. 
If it’s too expensive, move on 

Edited by Harry
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, astrondrew said:

Amusingly enough, it's possible to defend someone against harsh criticism even if you aren't that person.

It’s not harsh at all though, can you remember his stint as manager when he was involved in transfers? He’s great with the acadmey, but shouldn’t be in the job he currently has.

The one argument you could make for a loan - I'm not saying I agree with this btw but it's the one argument you could make - is that it might be Manning feels we need a particular type of attacking midfielder in order to play the way he wants us to and that the right player is not available on a permanent in this window. He might feel that getting Twine in now enables the team to learn how to play in his preferred way over the rest of the season so we can hit the ground running with a similar non-Twine at £5m player in the summer. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Northern Red said:

People wanting us to spend £5m on this lad are clearly wilfully ignorant of what we've had to go through for the last 3 years.

People will call for Lansdown to spend £5m on this lad, but then smash him if it goes wrong. That’s what happens. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mr Hankey said:

It’s not harsh at all though, can you remember his stint as manager when he was involved in transfers? He’s great with the acadmey, but shouldn’t be in the job he currently has.

You do realise he was manager nearly 20 years ago? There's valid criticisms of Tinnion but "it's literally impossible for anyone to be better at a job than they were 20 years ago" really isn't one of them. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Finley_Smith10 said:

You’ve just got to hope that if it is true then the buy option isn’t the 5 mill reported. You would think the people involved in the dealings know that 5 mill is too much. I think a 3 mill option is fair 

But to have the £3mil option after the loan, then surely we would be paying at least a million (you would assume) for the 6 months loan that we have him, then if we don’t exercise the option at least Burnley would look at it as having gained a million as they certainly won’t be letting him come on loan for nothing, so that would total (completely assuming here btw) a transfer fee of £4mil all in…..which in my opinion is far too much money for a player whose best season has not even been at this level.

Seems mental to me, either buy him now or wait until the summer, a loan is pointless. If we were top 4 of the league then i could understand, but not in our currebt position

1 minute ago, Mr Hankey said:

But to have the £3mil option after the loan, then surely we would be paying at least a million (you would assume) for the 6 months loan that we have him, then if we don’t exercise the option at least Burnley would look at it as having gained a million as they certainly won’t be letting him come on loan for nothing, so that would total (completely assuming here btw) a transfer fee of £4mil all in…..which in my opinion is far too much money for a player whose best season has not even been at this level.

Seems mental to me, either buy him now or wait until the summer, a loan is pointless. If we were top 4 of the league then i could understand, but not in our currebt position

Again, where is it stated (other than social media/papers) that it is a loan and where is it stated its 5m ?

1 minute ago, Harry said:

Manning knows him. Why would we need to have him on a 4 month trial?? It’s a waste of time and money. If we want him just buy him. 

Theres others on here who know better than me, but i always considered the tgh loan was done with an option to buy for accounting purposes,,, making payments in the next accounting year may suit us in terms of when the scott money came in, or when certain salaries are likely to be off the books. either that, or they just fancy seeing how they bed in for a period of time before committing the full transfer fee?

3 minutes ago, Harry said:

My only angle to understand would be that it gives us ‘first dibs’ in the summer, almost like we have for TGH, and we don’t need to ‘move money forward’ as BT & JL keep  referring too whenever asked. I.e we want to sign him but not for that fee now, but do in summer, so basically make his initial stay a loan before making it perm in summer rather than run a risk of losing out to someone else going in fresh from summer. 

All 2+2 on my part though. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

You do realise he was manager nearly 20 years ago? There's valid criticisms of Tinnion but "it's literally impossible for anyone to be better at a job than they were 20 years ago" really isn't one of them. 

I do realise that it was 20 years ago (mental how time works innit?) & i never said anything about people being better than they were 20 years ago…..listening to the shite he has spouted off over the past few months is enough for me to realise he isn’t any better than he was 20 years ago at a managment level.

Do i trust him with the clubs finances when it comes to transfers? Absolutely not (but i also don’t actually believe that the club would be stupid enough to do a deal like this for Twine on loan with an option to buy for £5mil in the summer).

Edited by Mr Hankey

7 minutes ago, Mr Hankey said:

Based on your conjecture of what this possible deal might be?

From the Hull Forum……..

Bit of ITK for you from Burnley end. Twine looks about done for 5 million. Crazy fee if so. Benson and Zoury might be available as Kompany wants 4/5 new signings.

I really don’t see us spending £5m but who knows?

BT and JL having to be seen to back LM?

Edited by Loosey Boy

1 minute ago, bcfc01 said:

Again, where is it stated (other than social media/papers) that it is a loan and where is it stated its 5m ?

I have only seen it stated on here, which is why i have stated “assume” multiple times in the posts i have made. If it’s a loan for no money or a straigh transfer for less £3mil or less then happy ******* days!

• Like 1

Just now, Mr Hankey said:

I have only seen it stated on here, which is why i have stated “assume” multiple times in the posts i have made. If it’s a loan for no money or a straigh transfer for less £3mil or less then happy ******* days!

I've seen 5m stated, but don't believe it for one minute.

• Like 1