IGNORED

Scott Twine - Loan Confirmed - No option to buy

Shauntaylor85

7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️

I agree the club have been ridiculous with the comments they make they have imo put massive pressure on LM and backed there selfs into a corner with the utter dross that comes out of JL and BT mouths.

Edited by BCFC31
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

What we need to do is to continue along the lines of what we were doing before. Signing players before they become 5 million pound players and then using our best young coach in England to coach them on the grass to and above a level where they are worth over 5 million. 

If we suddenly start chucking around t million for players then we are back to the days of putting ourselves at risk. 

We could sign Twine 2moro for 5 million and then he does his acl the next day. Much better to spend that money on 2-3 players. Less risk then. 

It just brings me to the structure down there it's a shambles imo, why don't they pour some money then into a proper top class recruitment set up. Why not get a proper experienced CEO in who has experience in negotiating player contracts and dealing with other clubs and agents and who brings a network of contacts with him etc behind the scenes it's a shit show so many things need to be right before we are able to consistently coach players into multi million pound assets, I personally am sick to the bottom of my stomach of the lansdowns they haven't got a clue about how to set up and run a successful football operation they have had 20 years and not once got it right.

Edited by BCFC31
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Simon bristol said:

I get it re signing 2/3 players for that money, but they wouldn’t necessarily be any better than we already have. Ideally we would have another 3/4 signings of the quality of twine which then ought to have an impact on improving our league position. Bringing in cornick and mehmeti type signings because we shouldn’t go for anything better seems a false economy to me, and they will still be on decent salaries too.

This is absolutely spot on 👍

Edited by BCFC31
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

That is a good point.  Although the caveat is - how much upside does he have at £5m?

If he fires us to the playoffs and promotion (next season) it probably doesn’t matter a jot.  I think some of us think it’s gonna take more than one £5m ability player (whatever the value) to give us a shot.

Twine would bring that creative attacking midfielder but we desperately need a striker who can physically compete but think we also lack that wide player who can also create. Mehmeti still has a lot to improve on 

if Atkinson isn’t far away then he would play alongside Dickie for me and with McCrorie now back he comes in for Tanner 

A few changes and I don’t think we are far off a good team who can compete at this level 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, BCFC31 said:

they have had 20 years and not once got it right.

Agree with all you've said except that Nige was our best chance to do something, IF they had only backed him.

Nothing against LM, he's just in the wrong place at the wrong time. In saying that I truly hope he can prove me wrong.

53 minutes ago, BCFC31 said:

It just brings me to the structure down there it's a shambles imo, why don't they pour some money then into a proper top class recruitment set up. Why not get a proper experienced CEO in who has experience in negotiating player contracts and dealing with other clubs and agents and who brings a network of contacts with him etc behind the scenes it's a shit show so many things need to be right before we are able to consistently coach players into multi million pound assets, I personally am sick to the bottom of my stomach of the lansdowns they haven't got a clue about how to set up and run a successful football operation they have had 20 years and not once got it right.

We had a proper experienced CEO in Alexander. 

This is pure speculation on my part and it has absolutely zero basis, but I do not believe his departure was down to a reshuffle. I believe it was more to do with the goal posts being moved on budgets and because of Pearsons role here. I felt it was quite telling that he said "the team is in safe hands with Nigel Pearson" this was not long after describing him as footballing royalty. 

I think there was a disagreement about the budgets and about Nigel. And that's why Phil walked out the door. 

Unfortunately the Lansdowns egos do not allow them to have people at the club who tell them they are wrong. Phil and Nige were two strong personalities who are incredibly experienced in football. 

We are always going to struggle because the Lansdowns can not take on board criticisms by those who know more than them about football. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

14 minutes ago, Finley_Smith10 said:

Agree, this is a topic about twine, shouldn’t be about anything else

If we were spending lets say 2 million on Twine then none of us would be speaking about NP, BT or JL. 

The fact we are potentially spending 5 million is why we are speaking about those people because we've suddenly found 5 million down the back of the sofa which we didn't have in the summer. 

Surely you can see why that has provided a talking point? 

• Like 6

13 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I can get my head around a loan.

I can’t get my head around a loan with an option to buy at £5m.  I guess if it was £2.5m I could understand that, you give yourself some assurance that if he does well you’ve proven his ability ready for next season.  But £5m is just too much.  I guess Burnley covering themselves if they come straight down.

A funny one for me.  Hey ho. 

Almost strikes me as, if they go ahead for £5m that it's a bit of a panic signing.

I like Twine, but he's not worth £3m with his record at this level, let alone £5m.

Just worries me - don't want us going down the LJ path again backing the wrong horse. We just need comprehensive scouting and to be sensible. Doesn't strike me as the latter.

• Like 3

I wouldn't pay £5m for Scott Twine.......doesn't make me right obviously and it's not my money but for me you may as well piss £5m up against the wall. If a club like us pays £5m for a player (plus the wages of a £5m player which will be £25K per week easily) they have to be a huge difference maker, not just a good player at the level.

• Like 2

If you take the emotion out of it (which manager you prefer etc) the upshot still is we had ££ to spend in the Summer, but didn't want Nige to spend it. If that's the case, why not let him go in the Summer & give someone a pre season ?

I'm more of a "centrist dad" on this as im less for / against Nige or Manning than many others are. But its just such a weird way of doing business.

The only slight wriggle room where I have sympathy for the club is if they felt Nige's health was causing issues, but he wouldn't accept that.  I get the impression he's very loyal to colleagues & he would have known that if he went (for any reason), Phlegm & Euell would be out too.

• Like 10

5 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

If we were spending lets say 2 million on Twine then none of us would be speaking about NP, BT or JL. 

The fact we are potentially spending 5 million is why we are speaking about those people because we've suddenly found 5 million down the back of the sofa which we didn't have in the summer. 

Surely you can see why that has provided a talking point? 

Yeah I get that. But what’s done is done. NP has gone and they obviously want to back Manning. Nothing we can do to help that. Just got to hope the players that we’re willing to spend the money on are worth the price tag. 

1 minute ago, Numero Uno said:

That's over priced for me.

I think so too, just think Burnley don’t really need to sell him currently and he could be of use to them next season if relegated so any fee we’re going to pay is going to be slightly overpriced for them to accept.

Just now, Numero Uno said:

That's over priced for me.

Hes a step up from what we have, a few more players who are a step up on what weve already got ought to see us make some progression. Would iversen or travers be a step up on max? Yes,, would adam idah be a step up on cornick? Yes, and willock or chair would be a step up on mehmeti too, and they would all cost more. Its whether the owners want to pay that price. 

Wasn't the supposed deadline for him to be recalled at midnight last night/this morning? If so, you would of expected Hull to of announced this by now, especially if they have missed out on him. If not, would probably seem more likely that a permanent move to Hull is the preference.

5 hours ago, scrumpy88 said:

Nobody knows it would be for £5million. Just one person said it’s £5 million and everyone presuming it’s accurate. 

He was out injured majority of last season and hasn’t done too much for Hull this season, I hardly believe they are looking for more than what they paid for him. 

I would say the fee would be closer to £3 million 

I wouldn’t be so sure about that! 😉😉😉

4 minutes ago, Fuber said:

Almost strikes me as, if they go ahead for £5m that it's a bit of a panic signing.

I like Twine, but he's not worth £3m with his record at this level, let alone £5m.

Just worries me - don't want us going down the LJ path again backing the wrong horse. We just need comprehensive scouting and to be sensible. Doesn't strike me as the latter.

Thats what concerns me. That we could be back to the days of throwing money around to try and prove their decision was the right decision. They'll keep doing it and doing it until we either stumble upon success or reach a point where we're right back in the shit. 

I'm not sure how throwing money at something proves their point but hey ho. 

3 hours ago, Simon bristol said:

I get it re signing 2/3 players for that money, but they wouldn’t necessarily be any better than we already have. Ideally we would have another 3/4 signings of the quality of twine which then ought to have an impact on improving our league position. Bringing in cornick and mehmeti type signings because we shouldn’t go for anything better seems a false economy to me, and they will still be on decent salaries too.

If they are better than our worst players (bare minimum) then the overall squad improves.  If we managed to get two players of say Dickie and Knight’s level (not necessarily position), that improves us, doesn’t it?

• Like 4