IGNORED

Scott Twine - Loan Confirmed - No option to buy

Shauntaylor85

Genuine question.

An ‘option to buy’ sounds great, and has the advantage of a price presumably agreed which I can see is a big plus.

Equally, it must need parties such as the player to finally agree? I suppose the point is if any player has an absolute blinder other clubs could bid more or at least offer a lot more in wages. Is that how it works?

If so are we over egging the value of an option to buy anyway a bit?

7 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

@Davefevs to all questions that you don't know about City, just refer the posters to Ian Gay. I think he has an answer for just about anything to do with City at the moment on Social Media.

I thought he had the job recently vacated by Dave Barton as knows everything going on it seems.

3 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

Someone make this make sense......................

Difficult to make any sense of it as a longer-term deal and perhaps I’m grasping at straws NU but this might just offer a bit of a positive perspective, although without anything in writing it will count for zilch….’Scott Twine, Vincent Kompany’s first Burnley signing, has returned from his season long loan at Hull City to sign a loan deal with Bristol City, although a potential permanent move had been speculated and reported to be in the region of £2.5 million.’ 
Best case scenario perhaps is there is something formally agreed re a permanent move which includes a NDA at this time. Just maybe (and this is all me speculating trying to make some sense of it) as it depends if Burnley are relegated.

Straws and grasping I suspect.  

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

Christ, I log on here expecting to see excitement but a load of you are moany old bastards when you want to be (sorry).

It's not the perfect deal or whatever, no, but can we just allow ourselves a little enjoyment sometimes?

I'm excited so screw the lot of you:

1. We keep talking about how Manning wants to implement his system more effectively. Well here is a player he knows, who clearly works in his system and will implement and elevate his ideas, and that can only help him and therefor the team out there.

2. Having quality players around will improve our other players - Tommy will hopefully get more chances, score more, learn more, and increase his confidence. There will be better interplay for players like Sykes and Mehmeti. Dickie and Vyner will get more chances from set pieces... This can only be a good thing even if it is temporary.

3. I watch every home game at AG. I watch every away game on Robins TV. It has, for the most part, been bloody PAINFUL watching this team for a large portion of a fair few years now. If we now have one more young, skilful, exciting player to watch then thank god for that, even if it is only for 6 months.

Exactly.

Plus tomorrow we are home to West Ham, who are there for the taking, full house - on TV. Whats not to like? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

What a weird thead, most fans of clubs would be excited they will be soon watching a player that has one of the highest assist rates and can score some great goals by the look of the video's.

Some use the fact we have been poor in the last 3 games as evidence we cannot reach the playoffs, yet upset we have brought in a player that might be able to open up the teams we struggle against.

Others wetting the bed over it being a loan, without any knowledge of reasoning behind it or agreements in place. It seems at times more just to be able to knock BT / JL than a problem with loans, don't remember the same massive issue when we loaned Tammy. As for cost we have taken off AW wage and replaced by Twine, plus any other fees, so negligible.

Its been stated on here lots we need a creative midfielder, but because we have not bought then its so say a bad deal, would you rather sign no one, or someone lesser but permanent, but no doubt these options would also be wrong. Maybe Burnley want to see what division they will be in before selling, perhaps at a price we are comfortable with.

On the subject of loans, NP said the culture was not right at the club to bring in loans initially, also the club have not wanted to block young players pathways, but we don't seem to have that player ready to step up.

Yes would have been great if 2.5m permanent, but I am just pleased we have a good player coming in which can only be good to watch, shame others can not get excited rather than seeing how negative they can be.

8 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

Christ, I log on here expecting to see excitement but a load of you are moany old bastards when you want to be (sorry).

It's not the perfect deal or whatever, no, but can we just allow ourselves a little enjoyment sometimes?

1. We keep talking about how Manning wants to implement his system more effectively. Well here is a player he knows, who clearly works in his system and will implement and elevate his ideas, and that can only help him and therefor the team out there.

2. Having quality players around will improve our other players - Tommy will hopefully get more chances, score more, learn more, and increase his confidence. There will be better interplay for players like Sykes and Mehmeti. Dickie and Vyner will get more chances from set pieces... This can only be a good thing even if it is temporary.

3. I watch every home game at AG. I watch every away game on Robins TV. It has, for the most part, been bloody PAINFUL watching this team for a large portion of a fair few years now. If we now have one more young, skilful, exciting player to watch then thank god for that, even if it is only for 6 months.

Two spot on posts in my opinion.

Probably seems like you’re stating the obvious, but you have to on here most of the time 😂.

• Like 1

Just got to look at the premier league. 800m spent last January, admittedly skewed slightly by Chelsea but barely 25m spent this time and we are half way through. Chickens are coming home to roost and player “trading” will be the norm for a while. That being considered, this calibre of player being “traded” in is great business. Very happy

Edited by Fjmcity

To be fair, I don't think I've seen one person criticise the move because they don't think he's a good player or that he won't improve us or make us better to watch. I think everyone is pretty much agreed on that.

But anyone who doesn't have at least some nagging questions about the strategy at play here must be very trusting of those in charge, and I would argue more trusting than they've shown they merit in recent months.

• Like 11
  • Flames 2

Welcome Scott.

Overall a good signing.

Obviously shouldn't sign players for frivolous reasons but a youngish creative type, going hand in hand with the sensible call to make TGH permanent feels positive. Not just on the pitch but also positive morale and can give everyone a lift.

Plus, not paying £5m, seems reasonable. That would feel a bit of a backward step.

23 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

@Davefevs to all questions that you don't know about City, just refer the posters to Ian Gay. I think he has an answer for just about anything to do with City at the moment on Social Media.

He’s busy writing two answers, ready to delete one!

15 minutes ago, cityexile said:

Genuine question.

An ‘option to buy’ sounds great, and has the advantage of a price presumably agreed which I can see is a big plus.

Equally, it must need parties such as the player to finally agree? I suppose the point is if any player has an absolute blinder other clubs could bid more or at least offer a lot more in wages. Is that how it works?

If so are we over egging the value of an option to buy anyway a bit?

What often happens is that club and player have pretty much decided they want it to happen. But as you know lots can happen in footie, manager sacked in season, etc.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fjmcity said:

Just got to look at the premier league. 800m spent last January, admittedly skewed slightly by Chelsea but barely 25m spent this time and we are half way through. Chickens are coming home to roost and player “trading” will be the norm for a while. That being considered, this calibre of player being “traded” in is great business. Very happy

I wonder if AFCON and Asia Cup has delayed / stopped some business.

9 minutes ago, The Exiled Robin said:

🎼🎤

Red, red Twine
Stay close to me
Don't let me be alone
He’s tearing apart 
Their blue blue heart

To fog on the Tyne- Lindisfarne 

Scotty Twine is all mine all mine (until the summer)

Scotty Twine is all mine (until the summer)

😉

• Haha 2

Sorry, have I missed the paragraph of the announcement that says "Twine will only be with us for 6 months. We have no chance of signing him beyond that & don't want to"..?

I thought it was fairly unusual when TGH's loan was confirmed with an option to buy, rather than it being "the norm"

I wouldn't expect all loans to come with that agreement & wouldn't expect that to mean there was no chance of it becoming more permanent, if it works out well for all involved.

• Like 3

Sorry if this was raised 40 pages ago, but why would Burnley recall Scott from a season long loan, where he and the team are doing pretty well, to immediately send him out on another loan to a club that are mid-table at best? The most obvious reason is the greater prospect of a permanent deal at the end of the loan period with us, although this seems to be being played down by both parties. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

But anyone who doesn't have at least some nagging questions about the strategy at play here must be very trusting of those in charge, and I would argue more trusting than they've shown they merit in recent months.

In regards to the “strategy” in play here - newsflash - we haven't had a clear one in years and so it continues.

We know the bullshitters in charge are, well - bullshitters. Nobody believed the top 6 squad nonsense. It was a vehicle to get rid of Pearson and we all know this. All the crap we heard about the budget being maxed out and loans are not the way forward - clearly this is not true.

So i say **** the board and enjoy this (potentially expensive) loanee. Id rather pay my wedge to watch this boy rip up the pitch. Im bored with the shite we witness pretty much every week. Entertain me FFS. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, sunningdalered said:

Sorry if this was raised 40 pages ago, but why would Burnley recall Scott from a season long loan, where he and the team are doing pretty well, to immediately send him out on another loan to a club that are mid-table at best? The most obvious reason is the greater prospect of a permanent deal at the end of the loan period with us, although this seems to be being played down by both parties. 

Hull want to sign Benson and have signed Carvalho which would limit Twine game time I guess 

• Like 2

I still think this is good business, the only thing that annoys me a little is that Burnley seem almost guaranteed to come down. 

If Twine performs they way we are hoping him to I just can’t see a world in which Burnely would let him go! 

Either way whether it’s short or long hope his city career starts with a bang, haven’t seen us scored a free kick in donkeys years so fingers crossed! 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, George Rs said:

I still think this is good business, the only thing that annoys me a little is that Burnley seem almost guaranteed to come down. 

If Twine performs they way we are hoping him to I just can’t see a world in which Burnely would let him go! 

Either way whether it’s short or long hope his city career starts with a bang, haven’t seen us scored a free kick in donkeys years so fingers 

51 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

3. I watch every home game at AG. I watch every away game on Robins TV. It has, for the most part, been bloody PAINFUL watching this team for a large portion of a fair few years now. If we now have one more young, skilful, exciting player to watch then thank god for that, even if it is only for 

Edited by Malago