IGNORED

Scott Twine - Loan Confirmed - No option to buy

Shauntaylor85

53 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Sorry, have I missed the paragraph of the announcement that says "Twine will only be with us for 6 months. We have no chance of signing him beyond that & don't want to"..?

I thought it was fairly unusual when TGH's loan was confirmed with an option to buy, rather than it being "the norm"

I wouldn't expect all loans to come with that agreement & wouldn't expect that to mean there was no chance of it becoming more permanent, if it works out well for all involved.

It isn’t common, but it was possibly a natural thing for City / Nige to want to do, bearing in mind what he said about loans.

It is more common when a transfer is too late in a window to complete, so they go with the option or obligation to buy.

I think City will have pushed for the option, but that requires both clubs to agree, and it appears as if they couldn’t.  Personally I don’t think it makes any more or less likely to be done in the summer.  I suspect Burnley will be driving a hard bargain then, especially if they go down and see Twine as a player to help them get back up.

41 minutes ago, sunningdalered said:

Sorry if this was raised 40 pages ago, but why would Burnley recall Scott from a season long loan, where he and the team are doing pretty well, to immediately send him out on another loan to a club that are mid-table at best? The most obvious reason is the greater prospect of a permanent deal at the end of the loan period with us, although this seems to be being played down by both parties. 

They will have their reasons…⬇️⬇️⬇️

38 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Hull want to sign Benson and have signed Carvalho which would limit Twine game time I guess 

…and this might be one part of it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ghost Rider said:

“It's not really progress if we're forced to give him back at the end of the season, is it?” - What happens if we make the Premier League?

Lots of ifs…………

I don't think thats really an "if" tbh. 

Edited by bcfc01

Reading the Burnley forums they are largely complementary about him. They say he lacks the pace or power to play wide and that 8 or 10 are his best positions. They say they have nobody in their team at present who can deliver a set piece like him. I see Manning playing him as a 10 with Knight playing a deeper role.

• Like 1

I'm very much in the minority (possibly of one) but I remain sceptical about this signing of Twine, not being a fan of the loan system, particularly in January. I don't doubt he has abilities but I am concerned where he fits into the team, who he ousts to do so, and wonder about the long term strategy. As it currently stands this is not a loan to buy so what is his standing with Burnley and hence his mindset. He might feel he's playing for his future career, play wonderfully well,  be the revelation we're waiting for and we do end up buying him, which is fine provided he doesn't morph into Tony Dinning. He could also have a devil may care attitude and be a major disappointment like so many before. Time will tell. 

• Flames 1

What about if he's the signing to stop us sleepwalking or even nosediving towards the relegation zone? 

The gap to the bottom 3/4 is a healthy one right now but last 3 league games have been poor and the next 5 are very tough. There's usually one team that sinks like a stone after Christmas.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, fgrsimon said:

What about if he's the signing to stop us sleepwalking or even nosediving towards the relegation zone? 

The gap to the bottom 3/4 is a healthy one right now but last 3 league games have been poor and the next 5 are very tough. There's usually one team that sinks like a stone after Christmas.

And often one who goes on an incredible run to the play offs. (well we can dream can't we) 

12 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Nope, because if I’d have been there is no way we’d have done the deal.

I believe Liam said that loans have their place if, for example, there is an academy player who may be ready shortly and you don’t want to block the pathway. Unless we have the next Scott Twine in six months this isn’t that.

So, Liam, bearing in mind you know the player so don’t need a try before you buy, bearing in mind we need time for you to build so this can’t be a signing to get us over the line, can you explain how this loan fits in with any kind of logic?

Looking at it from another angle, this loan could be a move to help the team adapt to Mannings vision. It's about mastering the play style he envisions, like how he want the wingers to overload, Conway's role in varying his positioning, the way he plans for the central midfielders to pivot etc etc, when Twine is playing as our CAM.

This could give the team an extra half season to get comfortable and fluid in a system tailored to a specific style of play, better preparing us for when we bring in a similar player in the summer. I'm not saying this is the definitive reason, or even if it's the right approach, but it's an alternative perspective to consider.

Edited by Marcus Aurelius
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I think City will have pushed for the option, but that requires both clubs to agree, and it appears as if they couldn’t.  Personally I don’t think it makes any more or less likely to be done in the summer.  I suspect Burnley will be driving a hard bargain then, especially if they go down and see Twine as a player to help them get back up.

Yes, believe we wanted an option to buy, but Burnley wanted far too much.

I think Burnley realise they have a pretty valuable asset at Championship level, and so we're never going to let him go "on the cheap" at a loss on the £4m they paid for him. 

After missing out on Azaz I think we felt we had to move on Twine, even if it wasn't our preferred type of deal. 

Otherwise we'd have been down to no's 3, 4....etc on the shopping list and my understanding is they were players that weren't proven at this level. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, fgrsimon said:

46 points will be enough.  10 points from 19 games.  Even the most pessimistic fan can’t think relegation is even remotely possible 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, fgrsimon said:

Absolutely no chance. 

If you honestly believe we have a chance of being relegated, then here's your chance to win some easy money...

Screenshot_20240116-082533-329.png

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

Win, win for Burnley. We pay them a loan fee, the players wages, play him regularly in the Championship so he is ready for them next season when Carvhalo etc return to their parent clubs.

Can't get too excited about this one, personally.

12 minutes ago, Marcus Aurelius said:

Looking at it from another angle, this loan could be a move to help the team adapt to Mannings vision. It's about mastering the play style he envisions, like how he want the wingers to overload, Conway's role in varying his positioning, the way he plans for the central midfielders to pivot etc etc, when Twine is playing as our CAM.

This could give the team an extra half season to get comfortable and fluid in a system tailored to a specific style of play, better preparing us for when we bring in a similar player in the summer. I'm not saying this is the definitive reason, or even if it's the right approach, but it's an alternative perspective to consider.

Thats fair. I think there are again issues there - as noted elsewhere, Conway has a contract on the table unsigned and if it remains so the balance is he’ll go in the summer. If we then have to replace both him and Twine, then it does mean that the patterns of play need to be established with new players so it might get us more comfortable with LMs ethos, but still isn’t a marked step forward in a longer term.

Don’t get me wrong - I am pleased he’s here and I rate the player. I just struggle to see there is massive long term upside here - and for avoidance of doubt if this was start of season or we looked set for a promotion push (Matt Smith) or were fighting relegation (Lee Tomlin) I have no issue in loan without option.

I’ll (hopefully) enjoy ST for the rest of this season but I think as a long term strategy, it does seem odd. Obviously circumstances demand and, to be fair once more, that negotiation and signoff on the deal, is at Tinnion and Lansdowns door - irrespective if LM wanted the player, they could have said no on the basis of long term strategy

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Yes, believe we wanted an option to buy, but Burnley wanted far too much.

I think Burnley realise they have a pretty valuable asset at Championship level, and so we're never going to let him go "on the cheap" at a loss on the £4m they paid for him. 

After missing out on Azaz I think we felt we had to move on Twine, even if it wasn't our preferred type of deal. 

Otherwise we'd have been down to no's 3, 4....etc on the shopping list and my understanding is they were players that weren't proven at this level. 

I’m wondering if Burnley are taking a gamble and he’s good for us they get their asking price. If they stay up they won’t need him, go down there is a good chance Brownhill is off and will be room to deal on the price for both parties. 

The way I see it is they know they've messed up. 0 goals in 3 games shows that. The football has become dull and tedious to watch despite us now being well coached. So they've had to throw money at a short term signing to try and make the football more palatable because the natives are getting restless. We've thrown all pur strategies out of the window in order to try and cover up their mistakes. 

Twine is a good player and I'm delighted we have him here. Just not pleased with the short term thinking of the club after all we have been through. I don't think this loan deal gets done under Gould for example. 

It makes absolutely zero sense to sign a player on loan (and paying a likely fee) to finish 13th instead of 14th for example. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

8 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

The way I see it is they know they've messed up. 0 goals in 3 games shows that. The football has become dull and tedious to watch despite us now being well coached. So they've had to throw money at a short term signing to try and make the football more palatable because the natives are getting restless. We've thrown all pur strategies out of the window in order to try and cover up their mistakes. 

Twine is a good player and I'm delighted we have him here. Just not pleased with the short term thinking of the club after all we have been through. I don't think this loan deal gets done under Gould for example. 

It makes absolutely zero sense to sign a player on loan (and paying a likely fee) to finish 13th instead of 14th for example. 

Well at least your not being pessimistic 👍

Quite a heated debate going on here.

I’m quite buoyed by this signing. I think it’s a low risk move by the club, essentially loaning out a player who has been struggling for any sort of form since returning from injury and bringing someone in who is young, creative and who believes his best football was played under LM. 

It’s a chance to see if we can create that link between the midfield and TC to create chances and it’s at no additional cost.

Meanwhile, we’ve got TGH on a permanent deal and the Transfer Window isn’t closed yet. We might be looking at forward options too and we can still look at those without the bank being broken.

Also, there is no guarantee that a permanent deal will make any difference to commitment from the player, and then there is always the Bristol City curse where we sign someone who plays 2 games and spends the next 9 months on the treatment table.

I’m interested to see how Twine slots in and how adding some creativity (which we desperately need) impacts TC who could end up really improving with decent service.

I’m looking forward to seeing what happens when we pick up free kicks in and around the box, because Twine is dangerous in those situations.

Welcome Scott.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, George Rs said:

I still think this is good business, the only thing that annoys me a little is that Burnley seem almost guaranteed to come down. 

If Twine performs they way we are hoping him to I just can’t see a world in which Burnely would let him go! 

Either way whether it’s short or long hope his city career starts with a bang, haven’t seen us scored a free kick in donkeys years so fingers crossed! 

Good point about the free kicks. And we’re winning quite a lot of free kicks within striking distance nowadays. 

2 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Absolutely mate. I'm very hopeful that this signing will improve our 0 goals from 3 games to 1 goal in the next 3 games. Gains! 

I agree that the performances the past three games have been poor, but don’t understand the fixation on that stat tbh.

In the 3 games before those we scored 8, against 3 playoff contenders. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Everyone screaming out for a goal scoring attacking midfielder signing…..

It happens…

NOT LIKE THAT!

Slight correction…..

Everyone moaning that we haven’t got a goal scoring attacking midfielder.

Everyone moaning when we sign a goal scoring attacking midfielder.

Welcome to OTIB 😂😂

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Would love to know how much something has to be in your mind for it to be a case of us ‘throwing money’ at something rather than value for money 

We're unlikely to ever know the figure. 

However he's certainly not cost us 50p. Loans are expensive. 

If he were to lead us to the premier league, that's value for money. But let's be honest, we wrote this season off a long time ago and he's not going to be leading us to the premier league. So in that sense I don't really see the point in bringing in a short term costly signing. May aswell concentrate on the future. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Win, win for Burnley. We pay them a loan fee, the players wages, play him regularly in the Championship so he is ready for them next season when Carvhalo etc return to their parent clubs.

Can't get too excited about this one, personally.

What about the joy in seeing him play? That's like saying you couldn't enjoy Alex Scott playing knowing he was likely to be gone in the summer. 

If (and I am not giving it up personally) we are not going to make the play offs, then some exciting football will be a way of keeping bums on seats.

• Like 5
  • Hmmm 1

8 minutes ago, George Rs said:

I agree that the performances the past three games have been poor, but don’t understand the fixation on that stat tbh.

In the 3 games before those we scored 8, against 3 playoff contenders. 

I think it's OK for anyone to be happy with 3 wins and then to equally be unhappy with no defeats in 3 and zero goals. 

But I'm looking forward to tonight. I fancy our chances. We're Bristol City, that's what we do. 

• Like 1