IGNORED

Scott Twine - Loan Confirmed - No option to buy

Shauntaylor85

1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

I thought Anis was one our few ball carriers last night but there you go.

Yep and some lovely footwork to beat his man on the wing and kept attacks going with some sensible passing. Not perfect, but decent.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

In normal league game circumstances I completely agree with you, he has to up his end product to get to the next level. Last night on a one off basis we needed those "breaks", first half particularly when West Ham had a lot of the ball at times and we couldn't pass it out, regardless of the end product. It wasn't irrelevant, it gave us a breather in that half. The only other ball carrier last night was Knight and he impacted the game in a very positive way. Knight and Mehmeti are the only two players in our side whose FIRST thought is to carry the ball FORWARD. Knight is ahead of Mehmeti in the quality stakes, certainly on delivering consistently.

Glad you mentioned this no1.  Thought he played a key role in getting us up the pitch.  In the first half he was good at dropping 10-15 yards into our half to receive passes from Dickie who found Pring marked.

I thought his touch upon receiving the pass was good in that in one touch and movement he was then facing up his advancing opponent.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

He was.

But it's completely irrelevant if it ends up with him being dispossessed or passing to an opponent.

Which is what happens 9 times out of 10.

Nowhere near enough end product, goal threat or assists.

I guess that all depends on what you want in a winger within, dare I say it, a “front foot” style. Jeez - can’t believe I bloody said that!!! I’m gonna be hounded now!! 

What I mean is that there are two different types of winger. 
1 type of winger is the one which runs up to the opposition full back, checks his run, turns, and passes backwards to his own full back. 
The 2nd type of winger is the one which doesn’t check backwards every time, he’s the one who tries things, attempts to beat the man (take him on 🎶). 

Winger number 2 will lose the ball a helluva lot more often than winger number 1. But it’s Winger number 1 which I find more frustrating and my preference will always be for a winger number 2 type. 

My memory of Junior Bent for example was that he pretty much always checked back and passed backwards. When the whole crowd were screaming for him to beat the man (take him on 🎶). 

I’m happy with Mehmeti trying to run his man and try to beat him. He still has a lot of learning to do with his decision making as to when to play the pass, but he’s a winger who can potentially excite with his direct running. 

Edited by Harry
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Harry said:

I guess that all depends on what you want in a winger within, dare I say it, a “front foot” style. Jeez - can’t believe I bloody said that!!! I’m gonna be hounded now!! 

1 type of winger is the one which runs up to the opposition full back, checks his run, turns, and passes backwards to his own full back. 
The 2nd type of winger is the one which doesn’t check backwards every time, he’s the one who tries things, attempts to beat the man (take him on 🎶). 

Winger number 2 will lose the ball a helluva lot more often than winger number 1. But it’s Winger number 1 which I find more frustrating and my preference will always be for a winger number 2 type. 

My memory of Junior Bent for example was that he pretty much always checked back and passed backwards. When the whole crowd were screaming for him to beat the man (take him on 🎶). 

I’m happy with Mehmeti trying to run his man and try to beat him. He still has a lot of learning to do with his decision making as to when to play the pass, but he’s a winger who can potentially excite with his direct running. 

As someone who is yet to be convinced, I was impressed with him last night.

Firstly he gave the outstanding Pring a lot more support than in previous games but he was a useful outlet, being willing to run at Coufal & give him a tough game.

Obvious there’s still room for improvement but very promising.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

No, he has to keep trying it, the one out of ten is the important one, and will become 1 in 8 - 1-6 - 1-4 with experience and confidence. His is no more inconsistent than any winger we have had, despite what people's memories tell them.

I’ll raise you a Mark Gavin and a Dave Smith.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, DaveInSA said:

I’ll raise you a Mark Gavin and a Dave Smith.

As examples of consistency? 

Gavin was one of my favourites but he only became more consistent once he realised that he wasn't going to out run defenders and learned to beat people at close quarters. Smudger was a great runner, but his delivery was hit and miss.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Confirmed by JL last night that there’s no option & we’ll ’see how it goes’

so that clears that one up

Can he be trusted though? I mean, he didn’t know when the annual accounts were due to be released when they came out the very next day 🤣

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Harry said:

Can he be trusted though? I mean, he didn’t know when the annual accounts were due to be released when they came out the very next day 🤣

🤣🤣🤣 true. Welcome to Bristol permanently on a 4 year deal, Scott!!

Also interesting that Stevie boy was in attendance last night, yet still gave no public live/recorded f2f interview again. 

43 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

As examples of consistency? 

Gavin was one of my favourites but he only became more consistent once he realised that he wasn't going to out run defenders and learned to beat people at close quarters. Smudger was a great runner, but his delivery was hit and miss.

Depends on your definition of consistency.

I was consistently excited by those two players 🙂.

I didn't keep a log of men beaten and successful crosses made - my bad.

13 minutes ago, petehinton said:

🤣🤣🤣 true. Welcome to Bristol permanently on a 4 year deal, Scott!!

Also interesting that Stevie boy was in attendance last night, yet still gave no public live/recorded f2f interview again. 

From the brief shot they showed on the telly, he looked thoroughly bored tbh.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

From the brief shot they showed on the telly, he looked thoroughly bored tbh.

Tbf he was sat next to Jon, so it’s understandable!

More seriously, we know he’s handed over the reins. SL of a few years ago would love this occasion and be speaking to the media both before and after. That he didn’t yesterday speaks volumes of where he is - it’s Jon’s game now (even if SL is the ultimate funder)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Glad you mentioned this no1.  Thought he played a key role in getting us up the pitch.  In the first half he was good at dropping 10-15 yards into our half to receive passes from Dickie who found Pring marked.

I thought his touch upon receiving the pass was good in that in one touch and movement he was then facing up his advancing opponent.

You're basically bigging up someone for doing the absolute bleedin basics of his job.

Wish you were my boss!

• Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, petehinton said:

Why did they recall him from Hull just to send him back out on another straight forward loan?

Can’t get my head around that.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, B-Rizzle said:

Why did they recall him from Hull just to send him back out on another straight forward loan?

Seems to happen increasingly tbh.

Cundle to Stoke after a recall from Plymouth, Sarmiento to Ipswich after a recall from West Brom.

Sure there are others. There can be reasons, lack of gametime, problematic tactical plan, perhaps look to bump up the loan fees a little. Cash cow.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

6 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

You're basically bigging up someone for doing the absolute bleedin basics of his job.

Wish you were my boss!

I wasn’t bigging him up per se, just complimenting him for being a good team player.  Because if you just judge Mehmeti on so called “end product” you’ll miss other aspects of his contribution.

Can you do Excel? 😉

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I wasn’t bigging him up per se, just complimenting him for being a good team player.  Because if you just judge Mehmeti on so called “end product” you’ll miss other aspects of his contribution.

Can you do Excel? 😉

I get the modern style for ball carriers but the best ones don't get their team 40 or 50 metres up the pitch then surrender the ball cheaply.

And yes, I do expect end product from our wingers, certlainly from a player with MEH-meti's technical skills.

Otherwise you might as well just play anybody out wide.

Sykes delivers more with less. MEH-meti needs to step it up. It's obvious it's all in his head. Whether the penny will ever drop is anyone's guess. And I'm not sure how long we can wait if we're serious about making proper progress.

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 3

• Admin
1 hour ago, petehinton said:

JL should message Ian Gay on X to find out why he’s wrong.

• Haha 4

• Admin
13 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

I get the modern style for ball carriers but the best ones don't get their team 40 or 50 metres up the pitch then surrender the ball cheaply.

And yes, I do expect end product from winger, from a player with MEH-meti's technical skills.

It's obvious it's all in his head. Whether the penny will ever drop is anyone's guess. And I'm not sure how long we can wait if we're serious about making proper progress.

Mehmeti only misplaced 5 out of 28 passes last night and 3 of his 9 dribble attempts were unsuccessful.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Harry said:

I remember Peter Doherty at an AGM in 1958, said that he tells his wingers, Hinshelwood and Watkins to try to go past their opposing full back every time they had the ball.

He said that he wants them to do that as the one occasion they get past the full back, is when we get the winning goal.

How the game has changed because the norm is now to play the ball backwards toward our own goal. I prefer the old, out of date way as it creates goalmouth excitement

37 minutes ago, B-Rizzle said:

As @Harry says- JL may not be revealing the full extent of any additional arrangements and why should he? I don't know quite when it became the norm to disclose every aspect of a deal and who knows what Burnley want to fully disclose publicly?

There is also the player himself who could have pushed for the move- loan or otherwise in order to work with Liam again and try to recapture the sort of form that got him his big move. Who knows? but he will likely be now playing for his future wherever that may be. 

25 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

And yes, I do expect end product from our wingers, certlainly from a player with MEH-meti's technical skills.

Sykes delivers more with less. MEH-meti needs to step it up. It's obvious it's all in his head. Whether the penny will ever drop is anyone's guess. And I'm not sure how long we can wait if we're serious about making proper progress.

I think he has stepped it up in a big way. His tactical play has massively improved, from token runs back and a few hearty challenges to being disciplined and tracking. He has come on a long way in a really short space of time. + Look at the stats @Ian M gave, most of what he is doing is actually starting to come off in some way. Room to keep improving? Absolutely, but for me he is showing that he can improve and is doing so. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BCFC Rich said:

I think he has stepped it up in a big way. His tactical play has massively improved, from token runs back and a few hearty challenges to being disciplined and tracking. He has come on a long way in a really short space of time.

I'm on about end product.

I'd expect anyone we sign, from wherever, to already be doing the basics you describe.

In the final attacking third we are seriously wasteful, not just Mehmeti btw.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Under TP we won 6 of 25 games, and had an 11 game run without a win. He was definitely booed during that period. We scored 4 in 10 games which probably caused it - I remember leaving a game after 30 minutes as the football was so bad.

Yes we couldn't score for toffee but Pulis permanently had Tony Thorpe on the bench. Could never understand that one.

I don't know if it was the same game but I remember a Friday night home game v Wycombe that I drove down from London after work for. It was to this day the worst game of football I've ever seen. It was 0-0 and literally nothing happened in 90+ minutes. If they'd carried on playing for 24 hours it would have still been 0-0. I wish I'd left after 30 mins!

I do sometimes wonder that if Pulis had stayed, would we have eventually have become Stoke City? i.e. top flight for a good time but with ugly hoofball football. It wasn't our choice anyway, hevwalked out to go to Plymouth or Portsmouth I think.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, fgrsimon said:

Yes we couldn't score for toffee but Pulis permanently had Tony Thorpe on the bench. Could never understand that one.

I don't know if it was the same game but I remember a Friday night home game v Wycombe that I drove down from London after work for. It was to this day the worst game of football I've ever seen. It was 0-0 and literally nothing happened in 90+ minutes. If they'd carried on playing for 24 hours it would have still been 0-0. I wish I'd left after 30 mins!

I do sometimes wonder that if Pulis had stayed, would we have eventually have become Stoke City? i.e. top flight for a good time but with ugly hoofball football. It wasn't our choice anyway, hevwalked out to go to Plymouth or Portsmouth I think.

If I remember correctly once Pulis left, Thorpe was straight back in the team and banging in the goals? Murray to I think? 

8 hours ago, fgrsimon said:

Indeed. My nadir was a 1-1 draw against Cambridge - I turned round to my brother at 30 minutes in and said “I can’t take this any more” and walked back to the town centre then got a bus to Yate. Arrived home no earlier than I would had I watched the game in full and got a lift but it was genuinely that bad, and the only time I’ve seriously questioned if I could keep watching. I was a little narked that JP regurgitated that lie Pulis told on national TV TBH, as it was such bullshit and easily disproven.

When Pulis left - it was for Portsmouth - I don’t think the fanbase have been happier. Literally it was on a par with the promotions, Man U game etc. Next game was a win at Bournemouth where the aforementioned Thorpe played and I think we won 3-2 and it was like a giant cloud had been lifted.

And now we’re so far off the topic of Scott Twine it’s untrue!

• Like 1