IGNORED

SL Speaks

Silvio Dante

I didn't like the sound of that.

I mean the stuff about Parachute Payments isn't necessarily wrong, but to talk of not even reinvesting a chunk, although maybe the full interview will give more context and sounds a bit like the trading model unless I'm mistaken??

Don't think NP will like the sound of this either- which is much more important.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 9

Fair do’s. 

Must have read my OTIB post from yesterday. 

Caveat would be, occasionally need to take a calculated risk and, of course, these things take time. In our case, a very long time… but to be fair to Nige, it’s only a couple of years.

• Like 1

Riddled with contradictions for me. I mean which is it:

'we've got to bide our time' - 'we can't compete with the parachute payments' - 'if we can sell players for £25m every year we're building that nest egg up to be able to compete in the longer term' 

all of which suggests its a long haul, steady building

or: 

Luton went up with 'far less talent than we've got in our squad' - 'with the squad of players we've got we've got a great chance of competing at the top end of the table - maybe we'll strike lucky - that's the way we've got to look at it' - 'we've got the makings of a promotion winning side if we can get that little bit of luck and that consistency'

which suggests over to you Pearson, if we don't go up its your fault.

Good to hear something from him I guess but hardly inspirational!

• Like 15

I wouldn't be concerned in micro analysing every word of a SL interview, who is prone to going a little off script.

We will invest and develop in young talent, sell where there is a large offer and continue to build, once strong enough we thrn make a push when we think it's the right time. Hasn't this always been the strategy?

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 3

9 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

'if we can sell players for £25m every year we're building that nest egg up to be able to compete in the longer term' 

And here's the problem. We won't sell a player for £25m every year. We don't have a Scott in every age group, we probably don't even have a Semenyo in every age group. 

So it's a flawed assumption that we'll build that nest egg. More likely imo is that we go through cycles where at some points we have a nest egg/FFP buffer like now, and then at other times we fly closer to the breadline. 

So for me the key is to time everything else to align with when we have the resources and the slack in the accounts. Align talent, culture, manager, investment, and then hope to all hope that other teams cock up. That's how we go up.

We've got a few of those things right now, so I'd hope we can invest what we can (we can't spend the whole £35m Semenyo/Scott money), wisely, and hopefully that's enough to catalyse the other things into a successful season.

Next season is, for me, when the stars are most likely to align.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Dynamite Red said:

I wouldn't be concerned in micro analysing every word of a SL interview, who is prone to going a little off script.

We will invest and develop in young talent, sell where there is a large offer and continue to build, once strong enough we thrn make a push when we think it's the right time. Hasn't this always been the strategy?

I'm not convinced he's that interested. He's simply speaking words but saying nothing. So I agree, not worth over-analysing. Frankly I don't think there has ever been anything that might be graced with the term 'strategy'. All over the place in his managerial appointments.

But for supporters in the here and now it seems reasonable to ask when exactly 'when the time is right' might be? He's had a couple of decades. Listen to him - are we steadily building, in which case are we selling our best players to invest in more? Or have we already got 'the makings of a promotion winning side'? We're, as ever, left guessing. 

He was only showing his face to launch a golf project on Guernsey.

• Like 2
  • Flames 2

There was nothing in there to be concerned about. SL said pretty much what we’ve heard before particularly the parachute payments for the relegated clubs - that’s been a bone of contention ever since they were first introduced and something RG mentioned regularly.

SL mentioned developing our players with help and guidance from experienced teammates - something we’ve heard from him many times.

It was decent enough.

• Like 14

2 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

I'm not convinced he's that interested. He's simply speaking words but saying nothing. So I agree, not worth over-analysing. Frankly I don't think there has ever been anything that might be graced with the term 'strategy'. All over the place in his managerial appointments.

But for supporters in the here and now it seems reasonable to ask when exactly 'when the time is right' might be? He's had a couple of decades. Listen to him - are we steadily building, in which case are we selling our best players to invest in more? Or have we already got 'the makings of a promotion winning side'? We're, as ever, left guessing. 

He was only showing his face to launch a golf project on Guernsey.

Agree, I think that has been the strategy in his head. Unfortunately he has made a series of poor choices to implement it. We seem finally on track with the academy, recruitment and personnel, whether it works is for another debate.

• Like 4
  • Robin 1

It's not the worst of strategies and contains some bits of realism ie the chasm caused by Parachute Payments in their current form.

Banking or hoping for £20-25m a season however is seriously flawed. Does this mean we may try and cash in on any or all of Pring, Bell or Conway next season.

You may hope for it once every or total every x years but come on.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, JoeAman08 said:

Feels like next season every season. He is right we have the squad, the performance centre, the stadium and while I am not always convinced, the manager who built that squad.

Why would you not give him the resources to be successful this season? 

If he doesn’t like NP and was always going to sell Scott, why not get rid of NP and get a new man in? The cost wouldn’t be crazy with NP having a year left. 

I just don’t get SL. Gets bit by one regime. Gets a decent one in and restricts them because he was bit. Few years go by and backs wrong regime and gets bit again. Whats he do? Restricts the better one again. Never fault him for letting city push ffp and spending his money but he is seriously a poor decision maker. Think the club may need s change from the top to every really succeed. 

He definitely lets past experiences rule his decision making. I've said a few times that I have my doubts that Pearson is going to be here next season. Lansdown will have a clearer idea of that than me, so if he's not investing this season then for me (and this is conjecture, call it stirring the pot maybe) that's an indication that he's saving the slack in the accounts for the next guy.

I can't possibly tell you why, if what I've written above is true, he doesn't make the switch right now, but one can only assume he has his reasons, even if one doesn't agree with them.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

Riddled with contradictions for me. I mean which is it:

'we've got to bide our time' - 'we can't compete with the parachute payments' - 'if we can sell players for £25m every year we're building that nest egg up to be able to compete in the longer term' 

all of which suggests its a long haul, steady building

or: 

Luton went up with 'far less talent than we've got in our squad' - 'with the squad of players we've got we've got a great chance of competing at the top end of the table - maybe we'll strike lucky - that's the way we've got to look at it' - 'we've got the makings of a promotion winning side if we can get that little bit of luck and that consistency'

which suggests over to you Pearson, if we don't go up its your fault.

Good to hear something from him I guess but hardly inspirational!

Therein lies the issues. Big spending when its someone he likes - all overly emotional for an owner. inspite of the fact LJ (and MA) left us up sh*ts creek without a paddle.

For all the money he puts in; the management of the club, integration, and strategy are sorely lacking. Seems like NP is the only one telling it as it is. If this carries on I coould see him walk.

• Like 4