IGNORED

SL Speaks

Silvio Dante

7 hours ago, mozo said:

He says we've got a great stadium, fantastic training facilities, strong squad with experienced players...

He forgot to mention a top manager ? I can never shake the feeling that he doesn't like Nige, albeit that is only based on that one strange and unnecessary comment a while ago about them not always seeing eye to eye, but also just my estimation of their very contrasting, probably conflicting, personalities.

Steve likes his yes men doesn't he, Nigel isn't one, Cotterill wasn't one... he just wants an easy life and Nige probably doesn't give him one

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Glen hump said:

Agree, nut for what sl has put in that’s not great, should of got a proper football man in to run things years ago.

Ah! We are still looking for the magical football man who is also a billionaire.  We are now genuinely ready for the next step up, due to the stability and infrastructure created by SL.  The man has done us proud in so many ways and we should be forever grateful.  I still remember the horror of the East End urinals nearly sixty years ago. We have come a very long way since then.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Hmmm 1

4 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

Ah! We are still looking for the magical football man who is also a billionaire.  We are now genuinely ready for the next step up, due to the stability and infrastructure created by SL.  The man has done us proud in so many ways and we should be forever grateful.  I still remember the horror of the East End urinals nearly sixty years ago. We have come a very long way since then.

Ffs do you not understand what a football man is , not a owner but somebody making the footballing decisions, wtf has the old east end got to do with anything 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, fisherrich said:

Staged payments most probably. Love to know what the down payment was?

That sounds like instalments and cash flow to me. In general terms P&S/FFP will account for the baseline fee.

E.g. if it was £20m rising to a max of £25m if add-ons hit and I'm sure you know this btw.

£20m would appear this year in the profit on disposal and the add-ons would arise as and when they're hit so in 2-3 years we my get a nice little bonus, again as and when they fall.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Glen hump said:

Ffs do you not understand what a football man is , not a owner but somebody making the footballing decisions, wtf has the old east end got to do with anything 

I am sure  at home games you must enjoy attending the Gate? Who do you think was responsible and the driving force  for what has happened in BS3? 
fact is SL has supported every manager he's had… get all foundations right rest will fall in place.. 

• Hmmm 1

Just now, DT The Optimist said:

I am sure  at home games you must enjoy attending the Gate? Who do you think was responsible and the driving force  for what has happened in BS3? 
fact is SL has supported every manager he's had… get all foundations right rest will fall in place.. 

not denying he’s improved things,did he really back sc, you seem to be missing the point as well, he doesn’t understand football,totally different from backing managers and infrastructure 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Glen hump said:

Contrast then and now. We have facilities that are top grade and an owner who has built the infrastructure and funded the club through thick and thin. Maybe a little perspective is called for.

• Flames 1

47 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

That’s been said for years now, still waiting.

Don’t think anyone can dispute Lansdown’s major improvements for the infrastructure of the club, unfortunately it doesn’t matter much if it’s not resulting in success on the pitch. Unfortunately we’re yet to see any bar a cup run and winning a league we shouldn’t have ever been in.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

SL by his own admission doesn’t have a deep knowledge of the beautiful game. I doubt he could discuss shapes, formations or tactics.

His expertise is financial acumen and he’s done pretty well out of it.

Well he should of employed someone who does understand football to run all football maters 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Glen hump said:

Well he should of employed someone who does understand football to run all football maters 

He has employed CEO’s to run the football club. Currently it’s Alexander who certainly understands the football industry after 25 years at Selhurst Pk.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, KegCity said:

That’s been said for years now, still waiting.

Don’t think anyone can dispute Lansdown’s major improvements for the infrastructure of the club, unfortunately it doesn’t matter much if it’s not resulting in success on the pitch. Unfortunately we’re yet to see any bar a cup run and winning a league we shouldn’t have ever been in.

Is finishing consistently higher than we have for 40 years not considered success?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bat Fastard said:

Contrast then and now. We have facilities that are top grade and an owner who has built the infrastructure and funded the club through thick and thin. Maybe a little perspective is called for.

Do you not see the point he’s making? He knows SL has built a fantastic infrastructure here. We all know that.

But he has failed on arguably the most important thing. Which is the football and his decision making.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

30 minutes ago, bbew said:

Is finishing consistently higher than we have for 40 years not considered success?

When Lansdown took over we were mid table in the championship. Since then we have reached and lost a playoff final, been relegated, got back into the championship and are now back to being mid table in the championship. I personally don’t consider that a success, it’s continuity if you’re positive and stagnation if you’re cynical.

It’s not all doom and gloom of course, we’ve got a great academy, training ground and pitch. We also haven’t gone bust, despite trying our best at times, but that’s surely the minimum requirement of a football club/business owner.

• Like 2
  • Flames 2

7 minutes ago, KegCity said:

When Lansdown took over we were mid table in the championship. Since then we have reached and lost a playoff final, been relegated, got back into the championship and are now back to being mid table in the championship. I personally don’t consider that a success, it’s continuity if you’re positive and stagnation if you’re cynical.

It’s not all doom and gloom of course, we’ve got a great academy, training ground and pitch. We also haven’t gone bust, despite trying our best at times, but that’s surely the minimum requirement of a football club/business owner.

Yeah bloody Romans. 

I think Mr Lansdown might say, in order to be successful you have to have the infrastructure in place. Luton being the only obvious club to buck that and they got kicked out of the league not so many years ago. 

We have been shite since 82, but we are no longer shite without an excellent academy, ground, training facilities and finances. 

Mistakes have been made with managers and where money has been spent of course. But you don’t have to look very far to find owners whose minimum requirement is a ⛺️ 

Edited by REDOXO
  • Haha 1

I get very confused by the Steve Lansdown debate.... all of our forum "FFP experts" keep telling us that we are at our maximum wage spend level and therefore what more can SL actually do?

Yes, he may have made some niaive appointment decisions over the years but his commitment to Bristol City FC can never be doubted. We have an incredible infrastructure and the Ashton Gate match day experience is one of the best in the league.

Football (as with life) relies on a fair amount of luck, and to date, we haven't had our share. We made a play off final under GJ and he backed Little Lee in the transfer market, but we've never quite managed the final push.

I'll get ready for the negative comments but i honestly do not understand the dislike for him.

Edited by Edgy Red
Spelling
  • Like 7

10 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Do you not see the point he’s making? He knows SL has built a fantastic infrastructure here. We all know that.

But he has failed on arguably the most important thing. Which is the football and his decision making.

I understand very well and have watched City for nearly 60 years in all divisions bar the current Premier league - so I do have a degree of perspective.  Having visited over 70 away grounds I have a rough idea of where we might stand in a pecking league of clubs and it is clear to me that the club is better and stronger than it has been for very many years. This is thanks to SL and his huge investments, which will benefit the club and fans for very many decades after he is long gone. I can be grateful for that and enjoy seeing academy products populating our team and sometimes going on to clubs that are higher up than us - for good transfer fees.  I liked most of our managers (NOT PULIS) and feel that Nige will take us to a higher level if he stays and continues the steady improvement that he has achieved to date.  You don't need to be a "football guy" to own a club, you need to be able to hire football guys and afford to pay them.  We have known good and not so good, currently it is (IMHO) pretty good.  The future is bright....the future is red and white!

• Like 8

8 hours ago, IAmNick said:

Lansdown needs to look at the implementation of the models that have got teams promoted, not the models themselves. The fact that many different models have worked just shows there is no one magic bullet, it's how you implement them and with who.

You can get promoted with a nice ground and with a shit one. With a productive academy and basically without one at all. By going all in one year buying expensive players, or by selling and replacing your stars each year or two.

He keeps looking at the "what" without paying attention to the "how" in my opinion.

It's always easy to just look at something successful and think if you copy it you'll also be successful but it doesn't work. There will be similarities in all the models and that's what he needs to find and understand.

Or maybe he should just allow people who know what  they're doing do those things?

• Like 1