IGNORED

SL Speaks

Silvio Dante

29 minutes ago, Edgy Red said:

I get very confused by the Steve Lansdown debate.... all of our forum "FFP experts" keep telling us that we are at our maximum wage spend level and therefore what more can SL actually do?

Yes, he may have made some niaive appointment decisions over the years but his commitment to Bristol City FC can never be doubted. We have an incredible infrastructure and the Ashton Gate match day experience is one of the best in the league.

Football (as with life) relies on a fair amount of luck, and to date, we haven't had our share. We made a play off final under GJ and he backed Little Lee in the transfer market, but we've never quite managed the final push.

I'll get ready for the negative comments but i honestly do not understand the dislike for him.

No, “we” don’t! ???

We did, until:

1. Nige started cutting costs severely
  2. Covid allowances got relaxed
  3. we sold Semenyo

What he appears to be doing…at the point where now we have sold Scott and have huge leeway FFP-wise…is to constrain the budget, below FFP levels.

But although I’ve had my negative / critical 2p on this, I’ll wait and see how this window pans out, and I’ll be prepared to retract.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

No, “we” don’t! ???

We did, until:

3. we sold Semenyo

What he appears to be doing…at the point where now we have sold Scott and have huge leeway FFP-wise…is to constrain the budget, below FFP levels.

But although I’ve had my negative / critical 2p on this, I’ll wait and see how this window pans out, and I’ll be prepared to retract.

So are you saying that SL could have increased our playing budget further without the risk of FFP sanctions?

Has SL not backed managers (rightly or wrongly) to pretty much the maximum levels allowable during his time at the club?

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

No, “we” don’t! ???

We did, until:

3. we sold Semenyo

FFP is in essence what we are allowed to lose over a three year cycle, to the limited extent I understand it.

Losses still need to be funded however, we have no divine right for SL to fund it for ever. The strategic risk is if SL does not fancy, for whatever reason, funding £12m  per year for the foreseeable future.

He is getting older and has expressed softly the wish for others to become involved. Whatever one thinks of the successes and failures of SLs tenure we should not doubt his financial commitment over the years. Others maybe too easily just assume that ‘allowable FFP losses’ translates to ‘yea, that’s SLs contribution’. He may be looking for some wriggle room..

Time will tell as always.

• Like 4
  • Flames 2

5 minutes ago, Edgy Red said:

So are you saying that SL could have increased our playing budget further without the risk of FFP sanctions?

Has SL not backed managers (rightly or wrongly) to pretty much the maximum levels allowable during his time at the club?

I’m sure Dave will answer your first sentence  

As for your second sentence No. He backed one manager to a dangerous level

Either way. I’m an SL supporter through and through, however that appointment was poor (ask @Thatch35) :laugh:! And he is not above criticism for quadrupling down on it. 

10 minutes ago, Edgy Red said:

1. Yes, this season.

2. Funny one to answer, different FFP rules between Champ / Lg1. I know haters, gonna hate but he didn’t back Cotts.  Even in 14/15 most of the recruitment was funded by selling Baldock.  And 15/16 it depends on which side of the fable you sit on…my side is no he didn’t.

Others may give a different answer.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

1. Yes, this season.

2. Funny one to answer, different FFP rules between Champ / Lg1. I know haters, gonna hate but he didn’t back Cotts.  Even in 14/15 most of the recruitment was funded by selling Baldock.  And 15/16 it depends on which side of the fable you sit on…my side is no he didn’t.

Others may give a different answer.

Fair comments Dave and i would agree with you completely regarding the Cotts era. We were on a roll at that point and i was a big Cotts supporter, but as fans we will never really know what went on behind the scenes.

We live in a blame culture nowadays and people always look to pin the blame on someone or something, and SL seems to bear the brunt of it, which is unfair in my opinion. He has done so much for the club and Bristol in general, and nobody can say for certain that it would have been better or worse if someone else had been in charge.

I just feel he deserves more respect that he is given on here.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

He definitely lets past experiences rule his decision making. I've said a few times that I have my doubts that Pearson is going to be here next season. Lansdown will have a clearer idea of that than me, so if he's not investing this season then for me (and this is conjecture, call it stirring the pot maybe) that's an indication that he's saving the slack in the accounts for the next guy.

I can't possibly tell you why, if what I've written above is true, he doesn't make the switch right now, but one can only assume he has his reasons, even if one doesn't agree with them.

I tend to agree that NP won't have his contract extended.

He's not an SL type manager - NP is his own man and will say it as it is and SL doesn't like that imo.

SL said some time ago that he was taking a back seat and not getting involved in football matters, so ******* do it, back out, and let real football men run the club and get us where we should be and stop doing these interviews, zip it.

Quite frankly, if he decides, again, that he knows best, then we all might as well give up and accept we are a yoyo club between championship and L1 at best.

Thanks for the stadium and the HPC, but please, please, butt out of football matters, you obviously know **** all about it, decades of under achievement proves it. Wouldn't surprise me if he has LJ back here.

(ok, I've had a few Ashton Presses so apologies for the rant)

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Red white and red said:

Not really. The post I replied to was completely one-sided. Absolutely no balance whatsoever. I don’t share the same viewpoint that Lansdown is not to be criticised. 

It wasn't your point of view, it was the way you expressed it?    With a tired old joke?    Oh well..........i tried?

Just because Mark Ashton's name has come up a lot on this thread I'll post this controversial and undoubtedly unpopular question here...

Are Ashton and Rolls doing a good job at Ipswich Town?

They joined the club when it was mid table league 1, and now they're in a 100% record in the Championship and won in the League Cup too (albeit against some lower league dog dirt club).

I appreciate that the financial investment fuelled the success, but Ashton was in part responsible for brokering the investment, and then oversaw the spend. Did he also recruit a new manager? And Rolls has had to keep the squad fit. Has he done so?

The pair were treated with derision and contempt when they left, but a lot of snide comments about how Ipswich will regret these appointments seem to have been misplaced. Ipswich look in a pretty good place right now?

Just playing devil's advocate!!!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mozo said:

Just because Mark Ashton's name has come up a lot on this thread I'll post this controversial and undoubtedly unpopular question here...

They joined the club when it was mid table league 1, and now they're in a 100% record in the Championship and won in the League Cup too (albeit against some lower league dog dirt club).

I appreciate that the financial investment fuelled the success, but Ashton was in part responsible for brokering the investment, and then oversaw the spend. Did he also recruit a new manager? And Rolls has had to keep the squad fit. Has he done so?

The pair were treated with derision and contempt when they left, but a lot of snide comments about how Ipswich will regret these appointments seem to have been misplaced. Ipswich look in a pretty good place right now?

I don’t live far from Ipswich and can tell you now, their fans are very confident this season, they have an excellent high energy side and Portman Road is difficult for people to get tickets, close to 30K today. £8M bid for Armstrong at Saints being lined up. 

Edited by Shauntaylor85

8 minutes ago, mozo said:

Time will tell, but just as I’ll be surprised if Middlesbrough finish bottom, I’ll be surprised if Ipswich finish top (or close to top). Not sure the comments were snide, they were reflective of where that regime left us? 

2 hours ago, mozo said:

It’s a fair comment.

But with MA on-field success (relative) can mask off-field troubles.

Yr1 accounts were pretty bad, Yr2 will be interesting when they come out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

No doubt these figures taken from FLWorld will be challenged or may even be wrong but are quoted thus for SL;

His worth; 1.82billion,

He has invested 240million in.... us?

I dont know if he is still looking for a buyer but was not long ago, due to his age.

The figure quoted as invested, is that for the whole Bristol Sport thing or just our club? as with any investment you would be looking to recoup it plus some profit.

When buyer is mentioned are we talking just BCFC or the whole of Bristol Sport (chairman Jon Lansdown) would it not be difficult to buy one without the other.

48 minutes ago, wtf said:

When buyer is mentioned are we talking just BCFC or the whole of Bristol Sport (chairman Jon Lansdown) would it not be difficult to buy one without the other.

The corporate structure isn't that complicated at the moment. Any buyer/investor could buy or invest into pretty much any part of the football club or any of the other sports and properties owned by Lansdown that are associated with Bristol Sport. 

However the most likely option is to buy a company called Bristol City Holdings Limited. That would get you the men's team, the women's team, Failand, and the stadium and that is all separate from Bristol Sport.

Remember, Bristol Sport itself does not own any part of the football club, it's a sister company owned by Lansdown and it provides commercial services and IP licensing to the sports teams. The only sports team it directly owns is the basketball team.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

I don’t live far from Ipswich and can tell you now, their fans are very confident this season, they have an excellent high energy side and Portman Road is difficult for people to get tickets, close to 30K today. £8M bid for Armstrong at Saints being lined up. 

I go to East Anglia with work and Ipswich fans see Bristol City as a tin pot championship club lacking any real ambition. Ipswich are on a roll like City were with Cotts. Lansdown should give Nigel P a bit more freedom and allow him to invest wisely some of the Scott millions in a couple new players. Nige does know what he is doing.
Still waiting for Lansdown to verbally back Nige P also, after the shitshow he inherited.
Just feels like Lansdown is meddling with the team again.
Don’t tell me Johnson is coming back after Nigel’s contract finishes!!!!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, fisherrich said:

I go to East Anglia with work and Ipswich fans see Bristol City as a tin pot championship club lacking any real ambition. Ipswich are on a roll like City were with Cotts. Lansdown should give Nigel P a bit more freedom and allow him to invest wisely some of the Scott millions in a couple new players. Nige does know what he is doing.
Still waiting for Lansdown to verbally back Nige P also, after the shitshow he inherited.
Just feels like Lansdown is meddling with the team again.
Don’t tell me Johnson is coming back after Nigel’s contract finishes!!!!

Have they forgotten the years and years they spent in midtable Champ with crowds of 17k? Very poor support from them at that time

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

It’s a fair comment.

But with MA on-field success (relative) can mask off-field troubles.

Yr1 accounts were pretty bad, Yr2 will be interesting when they come out.

Naturally, I much prefer the narrative that Ashton is a big wally and good riddance to him, but I'm also open to challenging my beliefs.

Fair comment re the accounts, and I'll reserve judgement.

20 hours ago, Der no.2 said:

"wait for that moment"

What moment? What does it look like?

As Steve would know it's not timing the market, it's time in the market and Steve's had 15 seasons in the Championship (one play off finish) ... hang on .... and Luton's just the four (two play off finishes/chances). 

We've had time in the Championship what the blinkin blink have we been doing, Steve? 

• Like 1

SL has helped us to progress significantly.....off the pitch. The stadium and training ground are both great (though if I were being critical, I'd note that it took him 15 years and they're not THAT remarkable by Championship standards).
On the pitch, the goal has been Premier League football, and we haven't achieved it. In fact, bar 1 season, we haven't really come close. We continue to be one of the biggest underachievers in English football.

It's interesting to consider the way our club is viewed externally. @fisherrich states that Ipswich fans see us as a club who lack ambition. Unfortunately, I think this view is common in the EFL. I get the impression we're seen as the Championship version of Tottenham Hotspur - big shiny stadium and a decent fanbase, but ultimately a club of 'losers'. Be it due to lack of ambition or lack of competence, we're seen as a club who will find a way to fail, no matter how strong our position may seem. Unfortunately, this 'loser' identity forms an element of Lansdown's legacy at the club, along with progress in terms of infrastructure.

I wonder how many other clubs of roughly our size would trade their last 20 years for the stewardship of Steve Lansdown. Sure, you get the positive of stability, but you also get the negative of a lack of success. Portsmouth and Wigan have had some awful ownership in recent times - but they have both also had 7/8 years in the Prem and an FA cup win since Lansdown took over here. Birmingham and Swansea have won major trophies in that time too. Clubs like Bournemouth, Brentford, Luton, Barnsley, and Blackpool have all achieved Premier League status, whilst Brighton have even finished in the top 6!

How many clubs feel any inspiration or jealousy when they look at Bristol City's last 20 years? How many would choose to trade their last 20 years with ours? Very very few I imagine.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I didn’t get the message from SL’s interview that there would definitely be no more signings even though we have sold Scott. And in fact I got quite the opposite from NP’s interview on RB after the match - he said they have their player targets, but if they can’t get them he won’t be signing any for the sake of it - he doesn’t want to just collect players. If we sign for the sake of it now that would limit what we can do in Jan was the message. So he’d rather wait for the players he wants. All makes perfect sense. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Supersonic Robin said:

SL has helped us to progress significantly.....off the pitch. The stadium and training ground are both great (though if I were being critical, I'd note that it took him 15 years and they're not THAT remarkable by Championship standards).
On the pitch, the goal has been Premier League football, and we haven't achieved it. In fact, bar 1 season, we haven't really come close. We continue to be one of the biggest underachievers in English football.

It's interesting to consider the way our club is viewed externally. @fisherrich states that Ipswich fans see us as a club who lack ambition. Unfortunately, I think this view is common in the EFL. I get the impression we're seen as the Championship version of Tottenham Hotspur - big shiny stadium and a decent fanbase, but ultimately a club of 'losers'. Be it due to lack of ambition or lack of competence, we're seen as a club who will find a way to fail, no matter how strong our position may seem. Unfortunately, this 'loser' identity forms an element of Lansdown's legacy at the club, along with progress in terms of infrastructure.

I wonder how many other clubs of roughly our size would trade their last 20 years for the stewardship of Steve Lansdown. Sure, you get the positive of stability, but you also get the negative of a lack of success. Portsmouth and Wigan have had some awful ownership in recent times - but they have both also had 7/8 years in the Prem and an FA cup win since Lansdown took over here. Birmingham and Swansea have won major trophies in that time too. Clubs like Bournemouth, Brentford, Luton, Barnsley, and Blackpool have all achieved Premier League status, whilst Brighton have even finished in the top 6!

How many clubs feel any inspiration or jealousy when they look at Bristol City's last 20 years? How many would choose to trade their last 20 years with ours? Very very few I imagine.

About sums up how I feel about City. Great post. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1