IGNORED

Yorkies in the Championship

Leveller

I know it’s very early days, but when looking at the table today, I couldn’t help noticing that five of the bottom six clubs are from Yorkshire. Two are in fact among the promotion favourites (Boro and Leeds) while three are tipped to be near the bottom (Huddersfield, Rotherham and Wednesday). The only respectable outliers are Hull.

It was only this that made me realise how tyke heavy the Championship has become - seven clubs out of twenty four.

It will be interesting to see how this goes. Could we have an all Yorkshire relegation treble?

27 minutes ago, Leveller said:

I know it’s very early days, but when looking at the table today, I couldn’t help noticing that five of the bottom six clubs are from Yorkshire. Two are in fact among the promotion favourites (Boro and Leeds) while three are tipped to be near the bottom (Huddersfield, Rotherham and Wednesday). The only respectable outliers are Hull.

It was only this that made me realise how tyke heavy the Championship has become - seven clubs out of twenty four.

It will be interesting to see how this goes. Could we have an all Yorkshire relegation treble?

It's funny but I never think of Middlesbrough being in Yorkshire, it's so close to the Durham border and they are so desperate to be classed in with the Tyneside teams, they seem to forget this themselves at times.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

It's funny but I never think of Middlesbrough being in Yorkshire, it's so close to the Durham border and they are so desperate to be classed in with the Tyneside teams, they seem to forget this themselves at times.

To be fair I just had to look it up in a disbelieving kinda way. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Was about to say the same thing surprising how large Yorkshire actually is. 

1 hour ago, Leveller said:

I must be incredibly thick but I can only see 6 : Huddersfield Sheff Wed Leeds Boro Hull Rotherham.

Unless someone has sneakily moved into Yorkshire overnight while we were all asleep.

Got to feel sorry for Barnsley fans, as the only Yorkshire club in L1. All those local rivals and you don't get to play any of them.

Edited by CodeRed

44 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Traditionally the Yorkshire/Durham border was the river Tees. I lived for a number of years in Norton, between Stockton-on-Tees and Billingham in Durham and there was no desire there to be bracketed with the Geordies or Makems. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Leveller said:

Only six, surely, unless you are including Sunderland, which is in Durham.

21 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

I must be incredibly thick but I can only see 6 : Huddersfield Sheff Wed Leeds Boro Hull Rotherham.

Unless someone has sneakily moved into Yorkshire overnight while we were all asleep.

Got to feel sorry for Barnsley fans, as the only Yorkshire club in L1. All those local rivals and you don't get to play any of them.

I agree - see above.

Or, perhaps, we are both thick.

Edited by PHILINFRANCE

43 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Yorkshire used to play cricket at Middlesbrough.

Bill Athey the ex Yorkshire and Gloucestershire batsman (batter in modern parlance) was born in Middlesbrough. That was in the days when only Yorkshire born players could represent the county and there were stories of cricket loving fathers from the white rose county making sure their heavily pregnant wives were in Yorkshire at the time of delivery, sometimes even flying them home early from holidays abroad (and abroad in this context means overseas not over the Pennines).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, handsofclay said:

Bill Athey the ex Yorkshire and Gloucestershire batsman (batter in modern parlance) was born in Middlesbrough. That was in the days when only Yorkshire born players could represent the county and there were stories of cricket loving fathers from the white rose county making sure their heavily pregnant wives were in Yorkshire at the time of delivery, sometimes even flying them home early from holidays abroad (and abroad in this context means overseas not over the Pennines).

Cuthbert William Athey and Brian Christopher Broad…what an opening pair Downunder in Ashes 86-87 (?).  Given no hope before series, those two made some valuable runs that series.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Cricket was played at another ground too sheff United, learnt more of Simon inglis than any other author!

And Bradford although not actually at Park Avenue`s ground but next door - a bit like Durham and Feethams and Northampton used to be. i saw Somerset there in a B&H Cup game many years ago.

3 hours ago, handsofclay said:

Correct and the story goes that one heavily pregnant lady just made it back to a Yorkshire hospital in time for the birth. She then produced a healthy baby girl! ?

• Haha 1