IGNORED

Clive Whitehead Debut...

1 minute ago, Midred said:

Look at the collar on that shirt! ?

We obviously had more to worry about 50 years ago!

It wasn't the collar you had to worry about...it was the material. Serious nipple rub back in those days ??

That yellow and blue away kit is lovely though. 

Would love that as an away kit. 

5 minutes ago, chinapig said:

I recall a game against QPR when Clive absolutely skinned Ian Gillard then he must have got bored because he switched to the other side and skinned Dave Clement as well.

Both full backs had England caps but evidently Clive wasn't impressed!

To be fair, he was fronting Deep Purple at the time...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

I was at that one too.  See my comment above!

I wasn't there but I very much remember listening to the match (short update every 15 minutes) on RB.

It's news to me if he'd already played at Stoke in the Watney Cup.

When Herbie Gillam told us the team news for Millwall it was a big surprise Whitehead had been picked and I've always thought it was his first appearance for the club.

1 minute ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I wasn't there but I very much remember listening to the match (short update every 15 minutes) on RB.

It's news to me if he'd already played at Stoke in the Watney Cup.

When Herbie Gillam told us the team news for Millwall it was a big surprise Whitehead had been picked and I've always thought it was his first appearance for the club.

It was a surprise to me too when I read the thread. But did the Watney Cup actually count as a full first team fixture. It was always a bit of a preseason excuse of a tournament!

Sounds like a great idea to be fair ?

It was held before the start of the season, and was contested by the teams that had scored the most goals in each of the four divisions of the Football League the previous season who had not been promoted or admitted to one of the European competitions.[1] Two teams from each division took part, making eight participants in total.[1]

The competition was a straight knockout format, each match was a one-off with no replays. The final took place at the home ground of one of the finalists, rather than a neutral venue.[2]

The competition was so named thanks to a sponsorship deal with the Watney Mann brewery; the first tournament for English Football Leagueclubs to sell its naming rights.[1][3] The tournament ran four times, from 1970 to 1973, before being discontinued.[1]

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

It was a surprise to me too when I read the thread. But did the Watney Cup actually count as a full first team fixture. It was always a bit of a preseason excuse of a tournament!

Don't know about it counting as a first team fixture, maybe not

It was a indeed a poor excuse for a preseason tournament, Stoke fans clearly not bothered (applauding Ritchie's goal) and one year Rovers won the bloody thing! I think they only had to win 3 games, but they still go on about it now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spudski said:

It wasn't the collar you had to worry about...it was the material. Serious nipple rub back in those days ??

Around that time our away kit was all white, I did wonder if the clash meant we used their spare kit.
That yellow/blue is not something I remember seeing before.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Around that time our away kit was all white, I did wonder if the clash meant we used their spare kit.
That yellow/blue is not something I remember seeing before.

Did Stoke play in an away kit of yellow and blue in 1973?

I know lots of teams did back then

Edited by spudski

2 hours ago, spudski said:

Got a feeling it was borrowed from Stoke !

edit sorry just seen previous 1960maaan

Edited by slartibartfast
  • Thanks 1

As regards borrowing that kit from Stoke if you read my post earlier on here you will see that I watched them play in that same kit in the same season at Hartcliffe. Unless they took it home to wash for Stoke before returning it and it had an extra outing. Although somewhat doubt it.

Plus there's no Stoke badge on the kit, surely there would've been had it been their second kit.

Edited by handsofclay

These days, playing away from home, teams change from their ‘home’ strip even though there may be no colour clash whatsoever with their opponents. Back in the day, teams only ever changed to their away strip as a last resort. Many years ago, I read somewhere, a snippet which stated that Norwich hadn’t worn their away strip in a competitive fixture for something like 8 seasons!

Goalkeepers only wore green jerseys (although other colours could be used in the event of a clash); black was often worn by keepers from ‘continental’ teams - however, I think I’m right in saying that yellow was reserved for international use only? 

Mind you, as any match shown on TV was in B&W it didn’t really make much difference!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spudski said:

Did Stoke play in an away kit of yellow and blue in 1973?

I know lots of teams did back then

1 hour ago, handsofclay said:

As far as I can ascertain Stoke's change kit between 1971-76 was a white top with black shorts. Changed in 76-77 to a white top with a diagonal red and black stripe, first used in a league match v Bristol City, our first home game back in the top flight (Cheesley injury).

Struggling to find any pictures of yellow/blue change for 73, but they have had a few yellow shirts over the years. I'll try and see if I have any programmes from that year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1