IGNORED

Clive Whitehead Debut...

1 hour ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

These days, playing away from home, teams change from their ‘home’ strip even though there may be no colour clash whatsoever with their opponents. Back in the day, teams only ever changed to their away strip as a last resort. Many years ago, I read somewhere, a snippet which stated that Norwich hadn’t worn their away strip in a competitive fixture for something like 8 seasons!

Goalkeepers only wore green jerseys (although other colours could be used in the event of a clash); black was often worn by keepers from ‘continental’ teams - however, I think I’m right in saying that yellow was reserved for international use only? 

Mind you, as any match shown on TV was in B&W it didn’t really make much difference!

For those of you watching in black and white the home goalkeeper is wearing green whilst the away goalkeeper is wearing red!

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

16 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Struggling to find any pictures of yellow/blue change for 73, but they have had a few yellow shirts over the years. I'll try and see if I have any programmes from that year.

The away kits I have seen that Stoke had in this period were all white shirts and all had the Stoke badge on the chest. The yellow and blue kit Bristol City wore that day didn't have a badge and neither did the one I seen Bristol City wear in that charity match at Hartcliffe in the winter of 73-74. I fancy they were effectively an early Bristol City third shirt/kit but weren't embellished with a badge because they would rarely be worn. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

The away kits I have seen that Stoke had in this period were all white shirts and all had the Stoke badge on the chest. The yellow and blue kit Bristol City wore that day didn't have a badge and neither did the one I seen Bristol City wear in that charity match at Hartcliffe in the winter of 73-74. I fancy they were effectively an early Bristol City third shirt/kit but weren't embellished with a badge because they would rarely be worn. 

No doubt the kit had to be washed and back in Loxton’s before opening time on Monday. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, spudski said:

But what a cracking away kit. Would love that now. 

After that 4-1 defeat, City's then Chairman declared "City will never play in yellow again".

So, in 2000 we went to Wembley and played Stoke again; which colour shirts were we wearing?

I believe, please correct if wrong, Clive W made his League debut October 73 at Millwall, October 2-0 to City. 

• Like 1

For you young 'uns; The Watney Cup was a pre season tournament for the top two scoring teams from each of the four divisions who had failed to win promotion, or qualify for Europe.

1st round on a Saturday, round 2 in mid week and the final the next Saturday. No chance of replays and that is when penalty shootouts were dreamed up.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 22A said:

For you young 'uns; The Watney Cup was a pre season tournament for the top two scoring teams from each of the four divisions who had failed to win promotion, or qualify for Europe.

1st round on a Saturday, round 2 in mid week and the final the next Saturday. No chance of replays and that is when penalty shootouts were dreamed up.

They trialed offside from the edge of the 18 yard box one year too. As a young kid I loved this Competition as it was on TV and it would have been the first games of the season. I remember watching Derby Vs Man U at my Aunties .... in Colour :tv_horror:

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

They trialed offside from the edge of the 18 yard box one year too. As a young kid I loved this Competition as it was on TV and it would have been the first games of the season. I remember watching Derby Vs Man U at my Aunties .... in Colour :tv_horror:

"For those of you watching in colour Derby County are in black and white"

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

They trialed offside from the edge of the 18 yard box one year too.

I thought that was the Anglo - Italian Cup with of side only in the pen area. For the final, the Italians decided to mark the 18 yard line all the way to the side.

3 minutes ago, 22A said:

I thought that was the Anglo - Italian Cup with of side only in the pen area. For the final, the Italians decided to mark the 18 yard line all the way to the side.

I was sure it was the Watney Cup, but looks like we were both right and wrong. Saw one report that said it was trialed in Scottish football, but then found this .

Back in 1972 former referee Ken Aston wrote a regular column in the Arsenal programme, which in those days contained 16 pages and was priced at a princely 5 pence. On 2 September, Ken’s column discussed a proposed change to the offside law, whereby you could only be offside when within your opponents’ penalty area. This was trialled in the Anglo-Italian Cup, the Watney Cup and then the Metropolitan London League for the first half of the season. Ken seemed quite keen on the experiment – not necessarily keen on the change, that had to be proven to be a good thing before he’d get enthusiastic – but he was keen to try.
Whether the experiment lasted any longer than the initial trial period up to Christmas 1972, I don’t know for sure, but the Sunday People reported in early December that it was ‘a flop’ and would probably be abandoned. Obviously it was never implemented any wider.

Screenshot2023-08-15at17_59_48.png.940d672bd885dc72bb9d3856fd032709.png

Screenshot2023-08-15at17_58_24.png.239c06b31cea94f10d36a2048b41dac6.png

One thing I like doing is picking a favourite team from Bristol city players I've seen live,

Wingers include Walshy, super Scott and Clive Whitehead, all make their own case..

Perhaps Whitehead playing in the top flight swings it in his favour.

All fantastic in their own way....

3 hours ago, 22A said:

After that 4-1 defeat, City's then Chairman declared "City will never play in yellow again".

So, in 2000 we went to Wembley and played Stoke again; which colour shirts were we wearing?

I believe, please correct if wrong, Clive W made his League debut October 73 at Millwall, October 2-0 to City. 

That actually happened when England played Italy in yellow and blue and we lost. Early 70s away.

On 15/08/2023 at 11:05, spudski said:

It wasn't the collar you had to worry about...it was the material. Serious nipple rub back in those days ??

That yellow and blue away kit is lovely though. 

Would love that as an away kit. 

We had a yellow and blue away kit in 2011/12 season. Notable for the club “donating” the principle shirt sponsorship to the Community Trust:

IMG_2052.gif

• Like 2

4 hours ago, OddBallJim said:

We had a yellow and blue away kit in 2011/12 season. Notable for the club “donating” the principle shirt sponsorship to the Community Trust:

IMG_2052.gif

I’d forgotten about that one. Is that the kit where some fans won a competition or something to be in the team photo?

• Like 1