IGNORED

Car insurance

daored

On 06/09/2023 at 17:25, Pickle Rick said:

Many reasons for the car insurance price hikes, some being…

Cost of parts, even ‘green parts’

Longer wait for parts (back order). This would affect accident related non-drivable vehicles, especially where customers have courtesy cars longer

Used car market inflation - this being a ‘thing’ due to shortages of parts among other issues for production of new vehicles

Accident claims & volume. This seems to have risen since Covid apparently 

The amount of bodyshops and skilled personnel don’t meet the levels required to cope with demand

…. So even with all the safety associated technology on vehicles (ADAS), there doesn’t seem to be much of an improvement on the roads meaning a reduction in accidents/claims.

And to think, the government are trying to push for a MOT every two years and first MOT at four years ?‍♂️ If anything, the MOT should be something taken more seriously and priced at a standardised fee around £80-90!

Accident claims have certainly risen since covid, but principally because they dropped significantly during covid - because the road were empty during lockdowns etc.

Its also fair to say that premiums dropped as a result: what I’m not sure about is whether they’ve just gone back to pre-covid levels plus inflation - or whether it’s a lot more on top of that.

Agree with you on MOTs. This government seems obsessed with reducing standards. The headline will be about saving people money. But that’s very short term if the consequence is more unsafe vehicles in the road, more accidents, more repairs, and, yes, higher insurance premiums! 

• Like 3

On 11/09/2023 at 13:14, italian dave said:

Agree with you on MOTs. This government seems obsessed with reducing standards. The headline will be about saving people money. But that’s very short term if the consequence is more unsafe vehicles in the road, more accidents, more repairs, and, yes, higher insurance premiums! 

The majority of vehicles on the road are safe though and don't necessarily require yearly check ups, just personal checks for consumables that all drivers should be able to do. With the caveat that the penalties for driving with illegal tyres say be increased.

They should be looking at additional tests for drivers over a certain age. Having to reapply every 3 years over the age of 70 is completely pointless as it's a simple 'yes I'm fit and healthy to drive', well of course the individual person will say that about themselves!

2 hours ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

The majority of vehicles on the road are safe though and don't necessarily require yearly check ups, just personal checks for consumables that all drivers should be able to do. With the caveat that the penalties for driving with illegal tyres say be increased.

They should be looking at additional tests for drivers over a certain age. Having to reapply every 3 years over the age of 70 is completely pointless as it's a simple 'yes I'm fit and healthy to drive', well of course the individual person will say that about themselves!

It’s probably true that most vehicles on the road are safe, but that reminds me a little of Gillian Keegan’s infamous tweet about most schools being safe! It only takes one…..

Although I don’t disagree in principle with your caveat, the problem is that nowadays enforcement of almost all road rules is done “remotely”, using cameras and the like. And it’s pretty much impossible to check tyre treads remotely - as far as I’m aware.

So the annual MOT in effect becomes the only way in which those things are really checked. Unless and until we get more police back ‘on the beat’, including traffic police, then the chances of any individual who chooses to ignore those rules getting caught is pretty much zero outside the MOT.

I’d agree with you on the age thing, except for the fact that the closer I get to that age the less I welcome the thought!
Are you thinking medical test or driving test? The problem with the former is that it takes no account of actual driving skills: I’ve got an HGV licence which I have to renew, with a medical, every few years. I can pass the medical; it’s the fact that means I could drive a lorry tomorrow when I haven’t done so for years that’s scary! The problem with the latter would presumably be driving test resources? 

Just had my renewal through from Tesco and it`s only gone up £25 which surprised me. Fully comp on a 14 year old Avensis diesel automatic and I do 50k a year business miles. £338 seems a bit of a bargain to me TBH. Mind you, Tesco have always been very competitive and we do live in probably the lowest risk postcode there is!

Uninsured drivers, Both a cause and a consequence in relation to premiums, I guess. Although in the context of this article it’s not really the most significant consequence.

BS1 is the second worst postcode in the whole country for uninsured drivers according to the figures at the end of the article.

https://news.sky.com/story/nurse-describes-horrific-fatal-crash-after-suffering-life-changing-injuries-as-worst-areas-for-uninsured-drivers-revealed-13011276

Quoted £513 for my multi motorbike policy which was £150 more than last year. Knew it was coming so went on the insurers website prior to receiving the quote and put my details in as a new customer and was quoted £273 and got a quote reference number.

Phoned them and asked them why I was £250 more of a risk as a existing customer of 25 years than a new customer. They couldn't answer but still insisted that my £513 quote was correct. I stood my ground and paid £273 after a call lasting nearly an hour.

55 minutes ago, Barry Sheene said:

Quoted £513 for my multi motorbike policy which was £150 more than last year. Knew it was coming so went on the insurers website prior to receiving the quote and put my details in as a new customer and was quoted £273 and got a quote reference number.

I have done that before but had a more positive response along the lines of " as an existing customer you should not be able to do that, but as we have provided you a quote we have to honour it". I therefore did it again the following year 😀

12 hours ago, Barry Sheene said:

Phoned them and asked them why I was £250 more of a risk as an existing customer of 25 years than a new customer. They couldn't answer but still insisted that my £513 quote was correct. I stood my ground and paid £273 after a call lasting nearly an hour.

That seems like a pretty flagrant breach of the new Financial Conduct Authority rules. If you felt so inclined you could report them to the FCA.

This highlights some of the loopholes in those rules. It seems that even the time of day you ask for a quote can make a big difference.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2022/may/28/car-insurance-costs-loyal-customers-renewals

• Thanks 1

Mine renewed not too long ago. Was with them for many years. Never any issues. Went from 580 to about 900. Called them and explained I work in insurance industry, know how it all works etc, asked them what justification they had. May as well have asked her in Latin as she had no idea. 

Anyway, got an alternative around last years price, went with them. Called back my old insurers to lapse, they said there's no way they were that more expensive, gave them policy info. They said they'd look in to, told them not to bother, just let it lapse and call me next year with new quote. They said that was fine and low and behold, they auto renewed it 🤦‍♂️😡😠🤬. Be careful and check bank statements when it comes to renewal in case they do try renew it. At least they paid it back once they'd listened back to the call. Cheeky buggers asked me originally to prove I'd told them to lapse it. They're the ones with call recordings, can't expect the public to record the conversation.

On 21/11/2023 at 09:39, The Batman said:

Mine renewed not too long ago. Was with them for many years. Never any issues. Went from 580 to about 900. Called them and explained I work in insurance industry, know how it all works etc, asked them what justification they had. May as well have asked her in Latin as she had no idea. 

Anyway, got an alternative around last years price, went with them. Called back my old insurers to lapse, they said there's no way they were that more expensive, gave them policy info. They said they'd look in to, told them not to bother, just let it lapse and call me next year with new quote. They said that was fine and lo and behold, they auto renewed it 🤦‍♂️😡😠🤬. Be careful and check bank statements when it comes to renewal in case they do try renew it. At least they paid it back once they'd listened back to the call. Cheeky buggers asked me originally to prove I'd told them to lapse it. They're the ones with call recordings, can't expect the public to record the conversation.

I always insist on no auto renewal on just about everything. As you’ll know Sometimes you can do it yourself on their app or website.

However, a couple of times companies have said they won’t auto renew but then send a a letter a year later saying it’s going to renew. They certainly don’t get a second chance.

Because we moved back to England after being away for 11 years, we’ve got all our insurances and subscriptions all need renewing pretty much on the same date in February. Really looking forward to that this year.