IGNORED

Empty Seats

cidercity1987

2 hours ago, Dizz said:

You are not contributing to the atmosphere are you? 

You are therefore the problem.

I'm not saying this to have a pop my man, if that's your thing by all means do it. 

But recognise that this is why there is no atmosphere.

I spose I'm asking people to join in when/if they can.

Don't do it for me, I'm some random off the internet, do it for the club you support 

By doing nothing, I add to the atmosphere I enjoy.

So in that respect, I do contribute.

Part of the problem is that there is nothing unique to the club in the noise those who like to sing make. No club identity that people could get behind. 

• Like 1

It is a bit Chicken and the egg for me. However, On the 3PIAP show this week, Joe Burnell alluded to Danny Wilson integrating atmosphere into his team talks which I thought was interesting. 

I.e. recognise that you (the player) need to get the crowd going in your own way with your own “moment”. Whether that’s a crunching tackle, chasing down a lost cause, or something else entirely - that gets people off their arses and making some noise. That feeds into creating the atmosphere, which in turn creates that hostile environment to the opposition that NP is asking for.

The problem is, there are no “moments” in this team. No crunching tackles, no shithousery, no shots from distance, just nothing which is really THAT exciting. It’s all just so very “meh” ??‍♂️

• Like 3

I think the club have done well in attracting new fans our home gates of 20k+ prove that, highest since the Div 1 days, unfortunately many of the "new" fans don't sing, create an atmosphere etc. I have plenty of new fans around me and they just happily drink their coffee and eat pasties and politely clap if we score and spend most of the game on their phones. Not sure of the attendance yesterday but the atmosphere wouldn't have been any worse if there was only 6k home fans there. I've been in crowds of 4 to 6k at AG and the atmosphere has been far better than yesterday and the Preston game...its a shame as when people are on it AG is as good as many grounds..mind you the football on display at the moment certainly doesn't help.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I know it’s a bit crap, but I didn’t hear any “player songs” yesterday, in fact I barely heard any songs at all.

Are you at all surprised given the drab nature of the performance rolled out yesterday...???

The "moment" that was referred to is something like Sammy Szmodic missing a pen against Rotherham last week and his team then going 2-0 down. You could see that he was not having it that they would lose as a result of his miss

He made it his personal mission and he single handedly took the game by the scruff of the neck and scored 2 cracking goals and earned his team a point

Do we have players who can, or who are brave enough to do this. Yes, we have Szomodic, Antoine and Scotty. Oh wait....

We lack players like this yet, we let them all  go..? Too much personality perhaps . ??

This is the reason they have gone, because other clubs see the drive in them. Where is this in our current squad, who is going to step up...?

Edited by Scrumpys Dietary Advisor..
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Leveller said:

Most football fans don’t sing - never have, never will, only a small minority. Atmosphere is generated by exciting football, simple as.

Do you mean 'atmosphere is generated by the fans when they see exciting football'?

If so, I agree, but I'm sure you also realise that footballers are inspired by good support? 

And when I say 'support', yes, I mean singing.

If you want to inspire them to play more exciting football, you need to sing not wait for them to do something. If anything, we need to sing more when they're under the cosh or being uninspiring.

1 hour ago, Bristol Rob said:

By doing nothing, I add to the atmosphere I enjoy.

So in that respect, I do contribute.

Part of the problem is that there is nothing unique to the club in the noise those who like to sing make. No club identity that people could get behind. 

As I say mate, that's your thing. But, it is not inspiring the players or adding to the atmosphere within the stadium is it?

I don't particularly like or get inspired by all the songs, but it's about making noise to support the team together.
I certainly don't sing about Barton's mum, she might be a legend... I just don't like her son.

I'm asking as a fellow supporter - Rob, mate, please could you clap along to 'red army' or any other song with a simple clap in it?
Try it for size, see how you get on my friend.

Maybe you'll have face paint, a loud haler and drum by the end of the season ?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Scrumpys Dietary Advisor.. said:

Are you at all surprised given the drab nature of the performance rolled out yesterday...???

The "moment" that was referred to is something like Sammy Szmodic missing a pen against Rotherham last week and his team then going 2-0 down. You could see that he was not having it that they would lose as a result of his miss

He made it his personal mission and he single handedly took the game by the scruff of the neck and scored 2 cracking goals and earned his team a point

Do we have players who can, or who are brave enough to do this. Yes, we have Szomodic, Antoine and Scotty. Oh wait....

We lack players like this yet, we let them all  go..? Too much personality perhaps . ??

This is the reason they have gone, because other clubs see the drive in them. Where is this in our current squad, who is going to step up...?

Wade Elliot v MK Dons springs to mind from the double season.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Dizz said:

Hi bud, totally accept the design can affect acoustics, but to pretend that this is the reason the atmosphere is bad I think we all know is rediculous. If the majority of people sang, I'm confident the design would not make the blindest bit of difference.

As stated, plenty of old grounds that have just been mashed together ages ago that have good atmospheres (think old Ashton Gate!)

I never stated it was the sole or only reason but it doesn't help IMO. Bigger "Singing Section", bettet located also would help- but also more of the ground should sing, clap along I completely agree with other posts you make like this and under the cosh is when a side needs it more.

When side doing okay in a game or a big game or in the right circs a noisy or big away following it can spark the crowd but yes it would be nice if more got involved wherever they are in the ground.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I know it’s a bit crap, but I didn’t hear any “player songs” yesterday, in fact I barely heard any songs at all.

What player songs have we actually got left, or have yesterday as an option?

Let's go through them:

Max O'Leary, only usually sang when he has done a great save etc, not sung.

Regarding defenders, only  Zak Vyner has a song, not sung.

Other than that I guess it could have been ' Anis Mehmeti runs down the wing' or 'Sam Bell, one of our own' being the only options?

Wells was a sub who has a song but as he took 20 mins to touch the ball that wasn't an option ?

So who have I missed with a song? No Weimann, no Conway and the most sung song of them all, I give you Alex Scott. 

• Flames 1

25 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I never stated it was the sole or only reason but it doesn't help IMO. Bigger "Singing Section", bettet located also would help- but also more of the ground should sing, clap along I completely agree with other posts you make like this and under the cosh is when a side needs it more.

When side doing okay in a game or a big game or in the right circs a noisy or big away following it can spark the crowd but yes it would be nice if more got involved wherever they are in the ground.

My bad, yes that came across a bit over the top from me which was not the intention sir.

I agree that it can help and there's evidence to support that, I'm just fully behind the fact that more singing etc is basically the number one factor.

I also agree a whole standing end would be cracking.

Feel free to join me and the other guy in singing our hearts out next home game though yeah? ?

22 minutes ago, RedM said:

What player songs have we actually got left, or have yesterday as an option?

Let's go through them:

Max O'Leary, only usually sang when he has done a great save etc, not sung.

Regarding defenders, only  Zak Vyner has a song, not sung.

Other than that I guess it could have been ' Anis Mehmeti runs down the wing' or 'Sam Bell, one of our own' being the only options?

Wells was a sub who has a song but as he took 20 mins to touch the ball that wasn't an option ?

So who have I missed with a song? No Weimann, no Conway and the most sung song of them all, I give you Alex Scott. 

Yep.

Get Bernie Taupin in.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, OddBallJim said:

It is a bit Chicken and the egg for me. However, On the 3PIAP show this week, Joe Burnell alluded to Danny Wilson integrating atmosphere into his team talks which I thought was interesting. 

I.e. recognise that you (the player) need to get the crowd going in your own way with your own “moment”. Whether that’s a crunching tackle, chasing down a lost cause, or something else entirely - that gets people off their arses and making some noise. That feeds into creating the atmosphere, which in turn creates that hostile environment to the opposition that NP is asking for.

The problem is, there are no “moments” in this team. No crunching tackles, no shithousery, no shots from distance, just nothing which is really THAT exciting. It’s all just so very “meh” ??‍♂️

The last word in your very good post sums up Bristol City perfectly from owner down to fans. 

Describe Bristol City in one word..............."meh".

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

That’s the problem, we don’t have any player songs or sing any. Andi Weimann has been here for 5 years and the song we sing for him is absolutely terrible.

I barely heard Ole Ole Ole Bristol City yesterday.

3 hours ago, weepywall said:

I think the club have done well in attracting new fans our home gates of 20k+ prove that, highest since the Div 1 days, unfortunately many of the "new" fans don't sing, create an atmosphere etc. I have plenty of new fans around me and they just happily drink their coffee and eat pasties and politely clap if we score and spend most of the game on their phones. Not sure of the attendance yesterday but the atmosphere wouldn't have been any worse if there was only 6k home fans there. I've been in crowds of 4 to 6k at AG and the atmosphere has been far better than yesterday and the Preston game...its a shame as when people are on it AG is as good as many grounds..mind you the football on display at the moment certainly doesn't help.

I relish the evening games when we aren’t doing so well, 12k will show up and we get one of the best atmospheres of the season.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, winsaw said:

Conway song was sung for a long time at the start of the match yesterday, the one that starts out woke up this morning feeling fine, how did you miss that, 

Maybe the noise doesn't travel as well as you think it does. I was in the Lansdown yesterday, right on the half way line instead of my usual Dolman seat, didn't hear much at all from the singers

• Like 3

2 hours ago, RedM said:

Maybe the noise doesn't travel as well as you think it does. I was in the Lansdown yesterday, right on the half way line instead of my usual Dolman seat, didn't hear much at all from the singers

Likewise, in LS A4 towards corner of SS, I didn’t hear anything.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RedM said:

The sound has never travelled that well in AG in my time.

I've been in all 4 stands at various times...ie when the Atyeo pre development was all home, odd game in the Williams, East End and South Stand replacement and Dolman post redevelopment and it has never travelled that well between stands.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, BUTOR said:

I relish the evening games when we aren’t doing so well, 12k will show up and we get one of the best atmospheres of the season.

A dodgy decision by the Ref has added a few decibels at times too. Nothing like a bit of injustice to get us going?

1 hour ago, RedM said:

A dodgy decision by the Ref has added a few decibels at times too. Nothing like a bit of injustice to get us going?

100%. I love shit referees sometimes. They get the atmosphere going. Nothing better than charging down the stairs of the Dolman with your fellow supporters through pure indignant rage and camply throwing an arm out whilst bellowing profanities. 100% it raises the noise. 

15 minutes ago, BUTOR said:

100%. I love shit referees sometimes. They get the atmosphere going. Nothing better than charging down the stairs of the Dolman with your fellow supporters through pure indignant rage and camply throwing an arm out whilst bellowing profanities. 100% it raises the noise. 

The bloke who used to sit across the aisle from me in the Atyeo spent the whole game berating the officials. He once got so angry he took his cap off, threw it on the floor, and proceeded to stamp on it when a penalty was turned down. It was straight out of the Beano!

22 minutes ago, BUTOR said:

There is a chap in one of the middle blocks of the Dolman who frequently queries the eye sight or has done of the linesman. Specsavers a particular favour of his!

On 20/08/2023 at 11:35, Mr Popodopolous said:

Ultimately the more singing, chanting and even clapping the better but ground redevelopment can be done with acoustics with a better atmosphere in mind in a ground.

https://illuminated-integration.com/blog/tips-improving-stadium-acoustics/

I've never thought sound travels that well between stands at AG.

A bigger end permitting "Safe Standing" also would assist in respect of generating an atmosphere. Whole end behind a goal would be nice.

Fear my life is going to a dark place when ive just read an article on how to improve acoustics at a flipping 27,000 sports stadium ?

• Like 1

On 20/08/2023 at 15:37, Davefevs said:

There is a limited few now - Massengos, Scotts, Dasilvas, Bentleys, Conway out injured, Semenyo - all songs which arent sung now, since they have left/arent playing. Not like we have any new ones anyway!