IGNORED

Plan A with Alex and Plan B without Alex

TomThumb84

Lansdown won’t back Pearson from here on, i hope i am wrong, but i feel as if he will be looking forward to seeing the back of him. He has sorted the mess and should be fully backed, but as NP seems to call it as he see’s it, then it is completley against what Lansdown likes in a manager (we all know it’s his club and his money so he will do what he wants & no one can question it blah blah blah). Think this time next year our manager will be the one that is currently at Plymouth.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

39 minutes ago, ChrisBW said:

Not sure he warrants being properly backed. Done a great job in blooding the youngsters but he has made some strange decisions himself. 

He was working with at least one hand tied behind his back for 18 months..I mainly see positives though I was a bit confused by the team selection today.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

He was been working with at least one hand tied behind his back for 18 months..I mainly see positives though I was a bit confused by the team selection today.

Might be the “Cotts moment” today.

The not so quiet protest in the friendly after promotion.

”Look at what I have now back me”.

We all know how that turned out.

If I was Pearson I would feel the same. Like fixing a blokes house over two years that he had burned down himself then asking for a take-away as a thanks and being told to make do with a packet of crisps.

Edited by TomThumb84
  • Flames 1

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

He was been working with at least one hand tied behind his back for 18 months..I mainly see positives though I was a bit confused by the team selection today.

Can’t the same be said for most championship managers? Ryan Lowe works on a very tight budget at Preston, same could be said for 15 other teams…..Pearson has had considerably more to spend on both fees and wages than some others.

• Hmmm 1

Just now, ChrisBW said:

Can’t the same be said for most championship managers? Ryan Lowe works on a very tight budget at Preston, same could be said for 15 other teams…..Pearson has had considerably more to spend on both fees and wages than some others.

Lowe has been upsizing although not solely and Preston have not sold two prize assets in 6 months for £35m.

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Lowe has been upsizing although not solely and Preston have not sold two prize assets in 6 months for £35m.

So? You weren’t talking about profit, you were saying “one hand behind his back”, which is the same for many clubs Preston, Huddersfield, Sunderland many clubs could come under that category.

1 minute ago, ChrisBW said:

So? You weren’t talking about profit, you were saying “one hand behind his back”, which is the same for many clubs Preston, Huddersfield, Sunderland many clubs could come under that category.

He has though, we couldn't spend a fee for 3 Windows or as good as, he has had to he cut cut, self restraint, blood lots of youth. Sunderland were in expansive mode, Preston by their standards, Huddersfield budget tight granted and they almost went down and may struggle again this time.

3 minutes ago, ChrisBW said:

Not sure on the criteria for hands tied behind back, but we’re currently 2nd in that mini league, so guess he must be doing okay…

• Like 2

The optimist in me is thinking that we actually aren't playing too badly and will be OK this season although not pushing for top 6 as stated by NP.

The realist in me is thinking that NP has done a brilliant job in dragging us out of a shit storm created  by LJ, MA and both Lansdowms, but now those financial issues have been overcome, the board expect NP to all of a sudden turn us into a top 6 side without the required investment. 

Are we a better side than the one that NP inherited? Without a doubt. Are we as good as the board think we should be? Not a chance.

Without significant investment in the team, we will float around mid-table and I can see NP getting let go, which will be a huge shame.

This club is what it is because of the top brass and the decisions they have made in the past and their expectations for the future. We will never succeed until they either sell up or wake up.

• Like 13
  • Flames 1

8 minutes ago, ChrisBW said:

I think you’re missing the “clear-up” Nige has had to do.  Nige has had to create budget, he couldn’t use what he inherited, he had to cull and whittle.  Lowe hasn’t, because he didn’t come in to a desperately poor situation.  It’s very different.  If you don’t understand that, then you won’t understand why it’s quite possible he might be annoyed that having in some part rescued the club, sold players worth £35m, he’s still working under constraints, not FFP this time, but SL himself.

Two scenarios:

1. well, he agreed the budgets, it’s his own fault
  2. we recruit a couple and all his happy in the world 

It seems fairly clear to me, Nige thought he might keep Scott.  But as he’s now been sold, I suspect he wants to strengthen the squad.  I think he is trying to play a “tow the line” message in the media saying things like “we made some signings in the summer don’t forget”, echoing SL’s comments to the Guernsey media last week, but I’m not sure I buy it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, RED4LIFE said:

The optimist in me is thinking that we actually aren't playing too badly and will be OK this season although not pushing for top 6 as stated by NP.

The realist in me is thinking that NP has done a brilliant job in dragging us out of a shit storm created  by LJ, MA and both Lansdowms, but now those financial issues have been overcome, the board expect NP to all of a sudden turn us into a top 6 side without the required investment. 

Are we a better side than the one that NP inherited? Without a doubt. Are we as good as the board think we should be? Not a chance.

Without significant investment in the team, we will float around mid-table and I can see NP getting let go, which will be a huge shame.

This club is what it is because of the top brass and the decisions they have made in the past and their expectations for the future. We will never succeed until they either sell up or wake up.

It’s all on the Alex Scott sale. Losing him has taken us from a playoff chasing side to lower mid-table. To not reinvest just 4/5 mil of that is incredibly harsh on Pearson. 

Just now, Davefevs said:

I think you’re missing the “clear-up” Nige has had to do.  Nige has had to create budget, he couldn’t use what he inherited, he had to cull and whittle.  Lowe hasn’t, because he didn’t come in to a desperately poor situation.  It’s very different.  If you don’t understand that, then you won’t understand why it’s quite possible he might be annoyed that having in some part rescued the club, sold players worth £35m, he’s still working under constraints, not FFP this time, but SL himself.

Two scenarios:

1. well, he agreed the budgets, it’s his own fault
  2. we recruit a couple and all his happy in the world 

It seems fairly clear to me, Nige thought he might keep Scott.  But as he’s now been sold, I suspect he wants to strengthen the squad.  I think he is trying to play a “tow the line” message in the media saying things like “we made some signings in the summer don’t forget”, echoing SL’s comments to the Guernsey media last week, but I’m not sure I buy it.

I think he is definitely playing a tow the line message, he should be asking to reinvest some of that in private, if not, and he genuinely thinks the likes of Bell, Cornick and Wells will fire us to the playoffs, then he is deluded. 

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Where is the CEO btw?

Missing in action isn't he. 7 or 8 months in now and he appears now and then but he really doesn't inspire. Gould however I saw as excellent.

What did Gould do which was excellent which Alexander isn’t doing?

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

He communicated.

He inspired confidence.

He was more fan friendly and it felt I dunno it's intangible and hard to explain but I'm fairly unimpressed with Alexander to date.

How did he communicate? 
How did he inspire confidence?

Just now, ChrisBW said:

It’s all on the Alex Scott sale. Losing him has taken us from a playoff chasing side to lower mid-table. To not reinvest just 4/5 mil of that is incredibly harsh on Pearson. 

I see your point, but Scott was always going to leave us this summer. 

The club should've been prepared for this and had a plan to reinvest a chunk of that income in other players as soon as his sale went through to strengthen the team. We don't even need to spend 1/4 of that to make us better, yet all we hear is that we are at our wage limit so incoming players are unlikely. 

Poor planning in my opinion, especially considering we have a squad bulked out with Academy players no matter how good they might become in the future.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Selred said:

How did he communicate? 
How did he inspire confidence?

He helped to steer us through tough financial times. Major salvage job from summer 2021 onwards.

Alexander is certainly a Quiet man but when will he be turning up the volume.

He certainty came across well at the Fans Forum did Gould.

1 minute ago, RED4LIFE said:

I see your point, but Scott was always going to leave us this summer. 

The club should've been prepared for this and had a plan to reinvest a chunk of that income in other players as soon as his sale went through to strengthen the team. We don't even need to spend 1/4 of that to make us better, yet all we hear is that we are at our wage limit so incoming players are unlikely. 

Poor planning in my opinion, especially considering we have a squad bulked out with Academy players no matter how good they might become in the future.

Well they said they were planned for it, hence the plan a and plan b.

We desperately need someone who can carry the ball like Alex did. He was so important in changing defence into attack and getting us up the pitch. As well as winning plenty of free kicks. 

I was hoping that could be Jason Knight. Perhaps he may become that. 

If we don’t sign another midfielder then a change of shape might be the answer. Or perhaps the return of Naismith means Knight can play a little higher up the pitch. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, David Brent said:

We desperately need someone who can carry the ball like Alex did. He was so important in changing defence into attack and getting us up the pitch. As well as winning plenty of free kicks. 

I was hoping that could be Jason Knight. Perhaps he may become that. 

If we don’t sign another midfielder then a change of shape might be the answer. Or perhaps the return of Naismith means Knight can play a little higher up the pitch. 

Yes exactly this...Knight is a different profile of player IMO but though he wasn't a stat merchant Scott was so very important.

The possession, the movement, the carrying- the winning fouls in both halves to help to break up play and win territory.

• Like 1

Growing more of the thought Pearsons contract will not be renewed and we will be going into the summer looking for a new manager. As some have said above. Lansdown doesn’t seem too appealed by experienced managers who know what they’re doing and will tell Steve some hidden truths. He likes the young yes man type. My way or the highway. 

Lansdown needs to sell up and go. Fed up of smaller clubs doing better than us. Then clubs who have dropped into massive shit in recent years (Sunderland, Ipswich etc) pull themselves together and progress.

If it is case Pearson goes. I would look at Plymouths manager. However, knowing Lansdown he will just give the job to Jason Euell.

Still wouldn’t rule out Lee Johnson either knowing SL. If that was to ever happen. I’d be done with City for good.

• Like 2
  • Flames 2

47 minutes ago, Mr Hankey said:

Lansdown won’t back Pearson from here on, i hope i am wrong, but i feel as if he will be looking forward to seeing the back of him. He has sorted the mess and should be fully backed, but as NP seems to call it as he see’s it, then it is completley against what Lansdown likes in a manager (we all know it’s his club and his money so he will do what he wants & no one can question it blah blah blah). Think this time next year our manager will be the one that is currently at Plymouth.

Just what I was thinking today even before the game. Holding the funds back for the next manager and NP like SC isn't his ideal type of manager. Will definitely go for a young and up coming one next. 

I’m going to say this once.

Jason Knight is not Alex Scott.

Jasons strength is energy, running, harrying and arriving late into the box. Alex’s was seeing the game 20 minutes before anyone else and playing the right pass. Anyone thinking Jason replaces Alex is deluded.

What we need to do is to find a way to get Jason, a creative midfielder and a holding player (James?) in the side at once. I think that will mean 4-3-3 stops but not altogether unhappy about that

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

Just now, Silvio Dante said:

Jasons strength is energy, running, harrying and arriving late into the box. Alex’s was seeing the game 20 minutes before anyone else and playing the right pass. Anyone thinking Jason replaces Alex is deluded.

What we need to do is to find a way to get Jason, a creative midfielder and a holding player (James?) in the side at once. I think that will mean 4-3-3 stops but not altogether unhappy about that

Mostly agree with this but you drop Naismith? He can give some expansive passing range.

1 minute ago, ChrisBW said:

Well they said they were planned for it, hence the plan a and plan b.

They? The only person who mentioned that was NP, unless I've missed something.

My point still stands. If we knew Scott was going, which we damn well should've, why haven't we actioned  Plan B yet and strengthened the squad? The deals should've been lined up to be completed as soon  Scott had gone. As it stands, we are playing with a weakened team. That's not taking into account the Conway injury as well.

A blind man can see that Bell isn't ready to be our main striker for the.next 4-5 months if we're serious about a playoff push

1 minute ago, paul_fox said:

Just what I was thinking today even before the game. Holding the funds back for the next manager and NP like SC isn't his ideal type of manager. Will definitely go for a young and up coming one next. 

Don’t say things like that, that hadn’t even crossed my mind.  Not saying it is the case, but I can sort of get my head around he doesn’t want to plough in £20m a year if he’s gonna sell-up.  If I thought it was a divisive intention, that would do me.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Just saying Dickie was fit, would you see some kind of 4132 / 4312 working as I suggested in other thread?

James / Knight / more creative MF’er as the three.  Weimann behind a front two.

That kinda thing.