IGNORED

Equal pay for women

bs3

1 minute ago, bs3 said:

Isn’t about time the women footballers deserve equal pay with the men .

How in 2023 this situation is allowed to continue, surely the government must put through legislation that women and men are paid the same .

I see I’m not alone in this call there are many MPs and high (and low) profile celebrities demanding action on this issue.

Even men don’t get equal pay to other men?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bs3 said:

How in 2023 this situation is allowed to continue, surely the government must put through legislation that women and men are paid the same .

I see I’m not alone in this call there are many MPs and high (and low) profile celebrities demanding action on this issue.

Do you mean at club level or international level?  At international level you can make a case for it. At club level it is nonsensical to suggest. Economically it makes no sense at all 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bs3 said:

Yes they might be demanding action but that doesn’t mean they’ve thought it through.

How would you legislate that? ?

Just now, luke_bristol said:

Women get more than men at World Cups, 20%, and get to play in huge stadiums funded by them men’s game.

it’s a lot more complicated than “x is more than y so it’s unfair”

To suggest it for club level shows no real thought process has been worked through to reach that conclusion.  I’m assuming OP means international 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bs3 said:

No.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 1

• Admin
1 minute ago, And Its Smith said:

To suggest it for club level shows no real thought process has been worked through to reach that conclusion.  I’m assuming OP means international 

Definitely a case for it at international level now they sell out stadiums, and I'm sure this upcoming season will see a boost in attendances on the back of the Lionesses

I thought the men always donate their England earnings to charity anyway? 

Out of interest what are the comparising wages at international level? 

Club level, at present crowds are like National league numbers so would assume wages are on a par with that? 

I would be interested to hear the OP counter act some of the replies as above it's simply not as easy to demand equal pay 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, bs3 said:

There already is a disparity between what the women are getting paid if they win this World Cup compared to what the men get paid 

The women get a higher % of the revenue 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

At National team level, yes, absolutely. Interestingly the USA teams pooled their monies from the respective men’s and women’s world cups and then divided equally.

At club level, absolutely not at present. Taking City as an example, the men’s team at the second tier regularly get c20,000 and the associated income that comes with that. I’d venture that the women - at a higher level - will average c4000 so best case, it’s 1/5 of attendees - at a markedly lower price. From an income generation point of view, equal pay makes no sense.

To be clear, if a male and female both work stacking shelves in a supermarket, both work as a CEO or anything where the income generation is not different depending on whether it’s a man or a woman, then absolutely equal pay should be in. 

If the monies generated by the women’s game start increasing markedly it’s a conversation worth revisiting. But give it chance to build the sport first

Edited by Silvio Dante
  • Like 3

31 minutes ago, bs3 said:

How would you finance this? 

I coach for a footballing charity. We receive funding from the FA. Would you take the funding we receive away to pay International women footballers far more? 

Edited by Cowshed

Yawn. Getting tiresome now this bollocks. They do not garner the same commercial revenue, sponsorships nor tv viewings globally to be on the same money. Maybe international teams can do it but just look at the attendances at club matches and you'll see why they get paid less.

This debate does a disservice to both the Men's and Women's game and it's just another stick to beat the Men with.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, richwwtk said:

For internationals undoubtedly there should be equal pay.

At club level, it's a free market wages wise and players are generally paid what their club thinks they are worth so no equal pay idea would ever work there.

There has been long debate in US about equal pay, and a lawyer on YouTube has gone through all the legal documents about how the national teams are paid. They are just paid differently… plus then someone in the comments pointed out that most national teams, especially in Europe, donate their pay anyway as they see it as an honour to play for their country, and earn much more from club level anyway

1 minute ago, Silvio Dante said:

At National team level, yes, absolutely. Interestingly the USA teams pooled their monies from the respective men’s and women’s world cups and then divided equally.

At club level, absolutely not at present. Taking City as an example, the men’s team at the second tier regularly get c20,000 and the associated income that comes with that. I’d venture that the women - at a higher level - will average c4000 so best case, it’s 1/5 of attendees - at a markedly lower price. From an income generation point of view, equal pay makes no sense.

To be clear, if a male and female both work stacking shelves in a supermarket, both work as a CEO or anything where the income generation is not different depending on whether it’s a man or a woman, then absolutely equal pay should be in. 

If the monies generated by the women’s game start increasing markedly it’s a conversation worth revisiting. But give it chance to build the sport first

The USA women's squad is paid more than the males. They receive benefits that males cannot. USA women are contracted to International football as employees and receive money for paid vacations, meal breaks (really), health insurance/social security, injury pay, severance pay and on this goes. 

The males do not receive the above because the men's club game is entirely different.

USA's women could also play football for months. USA international men generally play in leagues which are far longer,

1 minute ago, exAtyeoMax said:

There has been long debate in US about equal pay, and a lawyer on YouTube has gone through all the legal documents about how the national teams are paid. They are just paid differently… plus then someone in the comments pointed out that most national teams, especially in Europe, donate their pay anyway as they see it as an honour to play for their country, and earn much more from club level anyway

True enough about the donation,but don't the women deserve to donate just as much as the men? If they win today, they won't be far off the men's team in commercial value

Just now, richwwtk said:

True enough about the donation,but don't the women deserve to donate just as much as the men? If they win today, they won't be far off the men's team in commercial value

They’re still miles away the commercial value of the men. If the winnings comes from revenue and prize money, then there’s a massive gulf. Perhaps they all get paid a nominal amount for playing in the tournament representing their country?