IGNORED

Another big away following on the cards

Mr Popodopolous

2 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

The owners have never really wanted AG to be loud and vociferous. In all the time I can remember, they've done the absolute minimum to aid fans in improving the atmosphere.

The current "singing section" in the corner is just a token gesture. It's physically as far away from the away fans as possible so you don't get that interaction which acts as a catalyst. The group in there gives it a good go, but it is a losing battle in that location. Most serious clubs don't do this, they support fans who want to develop a home atmosphere.

The owners want to encourage a family atmosphere at AG, and that's clearly their preferred customer. That's fine, but there's room for both. 

The big mistake was the redesign - that was a brilliant opportunity to totally reset AG and cater to everyone. As mentioned earlier, the obvious thing to do was move away fans into the Atyeo end corner of the Dolman/Lansdown and have the Atyeo as a proper home end. I have absolutely no doubt that if that was implemented at the time, with encouragement and support given to that group thus allowing them to develop, the atmosphere would be incomparably better.

I agree home fans should be behind both goals. It's not rocket science, but our owners have a different perspective. AG is a brilliant stadium but the rebuild has done nothing for the atmosphere. I also concede that we don't get behind the team enough although so far this season there has been little to cheer. I can't recall getting off my seat once against Brum apart from going home!  

It's the chicken and egg scenario at AG. Which comes first, performance or fans backing. At the moment, both are sterile.

6 minutes ago, lenred said:

Don’t bring enough fans to sell out the Atyeo (or anywhere near in Preston’s case).  

Ah, thank you, I understand now. I guess an option would be to ask how many tickets the away club want, which i believe is done anyway. Then if the uptake is smaller, and let's face it we roughly can guess based on a few factors, then we can open part of the Atyeo on a game by game unrestricted basis. First come first served, no ticket swops, if you got a ticket for a more expensive part of the ground then tough.

Trouble is it would only probably be possible for the 'unattractive' fixtures anyway

• Robin 1

On 21/08/2023 at 10:52, Mr Popodopolous said:

Looked up City news. Most of Atyeo again.

Screenshot_20230821-105056_Chrome.thumb.jpg.686e6a7a7f50bce6e5d4629db95e1c66.jpg

3,414 to West Brom. :grr:

What a big advantage that promises to be. Well done- again. ??

I know what you mean , but as Roy Keane says I’ve never seen a fan head the winner or score from 25 yards 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, lenred said:

Don’t bring enough fans to sell out the Atyeo (or anywhere near in Preston’s case).  

39 minutes ago, RedM said:

Ah, thank you, I understand now. I guess an option would be to ask how many tickets the away club want, which i believe is done anyway. Then if the uptake is smaller, and let's face it we roughly can guess based on a few factors, then we can open part of the Atyeo on a game by game unrestricted basis. First come first served, no ticket swops, if you got a ticket for a more expensive part of the ground then tough.

Trouble is it would only probably be possible for the 'unattractive' fixtures anyway

My idea would he something like. Well I say my idea one idea I had.

Away fans 2k max whoever. Clearly this would need to be clearly communicated to Home fans in the Atyeo well FA Cup rules differ, dunno about League Cup rules and 3k yes that would have to change if we get to the PL.

First come first serve.

I suppose it could be argued too that the current arrangement future proofs all outcomes. PL 3k, easy. Cup rules, easy, no need for flex on allocations for home fans in Atyeo.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

I'm surprised and a bit disappointed to see people encouraging your club - and you are by no means unique in this- to limit away allocations. I always thought part of the atmosphere at games was helped by a big away following. Be careful what you wish for , one day you'll be sitting in a sterile stadium, loud music blaring over the PA and a total  lack of edge about any game.

• Like 5

As rhe author of the thread I'll offer a slight defence. Thought about it a bit more since.

Yes you are right about the away fans and yes it can push the overall atmosphere.

The problem as I see it is that we have a mere 1,200 tucked into a corner. I don't blame the away fans far from it, if they travel in numbers excellent but we need an end or something with a fair chunk of Safe Standing to encourage the atmosphere further.

2-2.5k in Atyeo, a Safe Standing end and some standard in the Atyeo after segregation could also work well.

Since the start of last season, including cup games and Norwich last night, we've conceded 34 goals at home... 12 of which were conceded in front of the South Stand, and 22 in front of the away fans (64%).   Would this be any different if we had home fans behind each goal?  I think so, it seems far to easy and common for away teams to score at that end of the ground.  I noticed Friday night that even clubs like Hull get this right, home fans behind each goal and away fans tucked away in the corner - the proper way of doing things (unlike Ashton Gate, where its the reverse)... Interestingly, Hull conceded 32 goals at home over the same period (two less than City), 17 at one end, 15 at the other!  A much more even split.     

Move the away fans to the bottom right of the Lansdown, top right as well when its a large away following, and have City fans behind both goals.

• Like 2

On 24/08/2023 at 16:54, Miah Dennehy said:

I'm surprised and a bit disappointed to see people encouraging your club - and you are by no means unique in this- to limit away allocations. I always thought part of the atmosphere at games was helped by a big away following. Be careful what you wish for , one day you'll be sitting in a sterile stadium, loud music blaring over the PA and a total  lack of edge about any game.

We are there already!

• Like 1

On 22/08/2023 at 14:10, NcnsBcfc said:

I don't believe in coincidences and I'm sure until recently at least it was reported that 80% of the away team goals were scored in front of their own fans in the Atyeo stand.

We can criticise LJ all we want, but he recognised the issue.

Lee Johnson asks Bristol City to reconsider where away fans sit at Ashton Gate - Bristol Live (bristolpost.co.uk)

Given we nearly always play towards the Atyeo first half it may be more about our defensive abilities in the second. Need to be cautious about drawing conclusions when complex factors are at play.

• Like 1

On 22/08/2023 at 15:03, Mr Popodopolous said:

Thank you.

That is pretty odd then, suggests to me that the full Atyeo may not be available verbatim?

Dolman holds at least 6k, I thought. Lansdown 11k, South Stand 6k?

https://web.archive.org/web/20230203170226/https://www.efl.com/clubs-and-competitions/sky-bet-championship/clubs/bristol-city/

Official EFl Capacity 26459 , which stacks up with the Man City sell-out and 800 seats not sold in the Atyeo. I think you will find the Lansdown is closer to 9000 , Atyeo 4400 , Dolman used to be 6700 , South stand around 6000 . Effective football capacity is 25700 . 

• Thanks 1

• Admin
10 hours ago, xerox6060 said:

Argyle supporting work colleague has his ticket for the Gate 2500 sold ..

Correct and have been approved for the additional 900, to take them to max league capacity we are giving this season

An interesting debate that was highlighted to me last night, those saying about we should not give so many tickets to the away fans. How many went to Swansea (and took over the Liberty) and are going to Leicester? Both times we have been given large allocations

23 minutes ago, phantom said:

Correct and have been approved for the additional 900, to take them to max league capacity we are giving this season

An interesting debate that was highlighted to me last night, those saying about we should not give so many tickets to the away fans. How many went to Swansea (and took over the Liberty) and are going to Leicester? Both times we have been given large allocations

Exactly. There’s quite a lot of hypocrisy here - people want small away crowds at Ashton Gate but large away crowds when we travel. Understandable but illogical.

On another issue, for those who want home and away fans in the Atyeo - genuine question - does the concourse allow segregation if the seats are divided up?

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Leveller said:

Exactly. There’s quite a lot of hypocrisy here - people want small away crowds at Ashton Gate but large away crowds when we travel. Understandable but illogical.

On another issue, for those who want home and away fans in the Atyeo - genuine question - does the concourse allow segregation if the seats are divided up?

Yes, the stand was split in half when the other three stands were getting constructed/refurbed, along with the games against the Manc sides in 17/18 and the game against Derby in that same season. 

• Thanks 2

On 24/08/2023 at 16:54, Miah Dennehy said:

With respect, your notion of “big away following” and ours may differ! (At home games, obviously: I realise you take  tens of thousands away ?)

And having anything identifiable coming out of our PA system would be a bonus! 

Edited by italian dave

On 21/08/2023 at 11:41, Bris Red said:

The club are clueless. We need a big re set from the top down, turning into an embarrassment both on and off the field at the moment.

Begs the question where is our dweeb of a chairman gone hiding? Haven’t heard a peep out of him for months and months..

Apparently lost his mobile while swimming in the Bahamas?

5 hours ago, Psychopomp said:

https://web.archive.org/web/20230203170226/https://www.efl.com/clubs-and-competitions/sky-bet-championship/clubs/bristol-city/

Official EFl Capacity 26459 , which stacks up with the Man City sell-out and 800 seats not sold in the Atyeo. I think you will find the Lansdown is closer to 9000 , Atyeo 4400 , Dolman used to be 6700 , South stand around 6000 . Effective football capacity is 25700 . 

Every day is a school day!

Always thought Lansdown held 10-11k.

On 22/08/2023 at 05:44, Rob k said:

Exactly - when we had the Atyeo people wanted to be in the East End, people were always moaning about the atmosphere in there. It’s not a difficult fix either, move the signing section to A block Dolman and it would be better. However we also have a crap atmosphere because we also have crap songs these days!! 

Personally I think all the ultra stuff has had a negative impact on atmosphere rather than improve it.

Now I haven’t read this thread,but it strikes me that if you play good exiting football,you get a decent atmosphere,if you constantly start games on the back foot and let away teams dictate the pace of game,we will and do struggle.Nearly every game I attend,the atmosphere around the ground before the game is good,in the pub before the game it’s also good,before the game it’s decent enough,then the game starts.Within about ten to fifteen minutes,it’s as flat as a pancake,we’re usually on the back foot,and no amount of singing and cheering is going to change that,we need to start on the front foot,something we haven’t been doing for a fair few seasons now.We are turning up expecting the worst,and quite often that’s what we get,imagine turning up and actually expecting to win……..

16 hours ago, hollydog said:

Given we nearly always play towards the Atyeo first half it may be more about our defensive abilities in the second. Need to be cautious about drawing conclusions when complex factors are at play.

On 30/08/2023 at 14:21, FromeReds said:

Since the start of last season, including cup games and Norwich last night, we've conceded 34 goals at home... 12 of which were conceded in front of the South Stand, and 22 in front of the away fans (64%).   Would this be any different if we had home fans behind each goal?  I think so, it seems far to easy and common for away teams to score at that end of the ground.  I noticed Friday night that even clubs like Hull get this right, home fans behind each goal and away fans tucked away in the corner - the proper way of doing things (unlike Ashton Gate, where its the reverse)... Interestingly, Hull conceded 32 goals at home over the same period (two less than City), 17 at one end, 15 at the other!  A much more even split.     

Move the away fans to the bottom right of the Lansdown, top right as well when its a large away following, and have City fans behind both goals.

Don't forget, the away team nearly always attack the Atyeo in the second half, and second halfs are generally longer than firsts, given the added time for subs etc. Add in that more goals are scored in the second half anyway and your figures are not really surprising.

1 hour ago, CrackingCheeseGromit said:

Don't forget, the away team nearly always attack the Atyeo in the second half, and second halfs are generally longer than firsts, given the added time for subs etc. Add in that more goals are scored in the second half anyway and your figures are not really surprising.

Yeah, fair comment, something I didn’t really think of when I looked up the figures. 

I stick by what I said about moving the away fans though. City fans should be behind both goals.

• The title was changed to at least 2,500 (PLUS) Arygle fans heading to the Gate