IGNORED

India Moon Landing

BCFC11

It may seem 'primitive' compared to other systems but this really is a great step forwards for India. Given the nation has a massive population that has massive problems, the space industry has grown from almost nothing to achieving a lunar landing in less time than almost anyone. If you compare their rise to that of America, Russia or even little us, it is remarkable that they have done it at all.

Yes, the lander has not brought back 4k stereo images, but it has so far done what it says on the tin. Compare that to the Russian Luna 25 lander that plummeted into the moon a few days earlier - Russia has been in the space race since the 1950s. Of course, the Russian budget has been slashed a lot recently and the money directed towards the Ukraine situation, but their efforts are now becoming retrograde. Engineers were openly pessimistic before launch.

Anyway, the Chandrayaan 3 lander is down safely and working thus far. It will hopefully begin to explore and test the lunar landscape at the south pole for frozen water. If it does find useable water, India will have made an important contribution to eventual occupation of the Moon. Even if it was achieved by Nasa, that would be enormously laudable and valuable.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, phantom said:

I thought it was a reconstruction of real time events at first

There were computer generated videos representing the planned descent, not live streaming.

Much more important than feeding your people and providing basic sanitation I suppose.

Americans said the same during Apollo in the 60s. Money and politics are favourite topics of debate.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Erithacus said:

There were computer generated videos representing the planned descent, not live streaming.

Much more important than feeding your people and providing basic sanitation I suppose.

Americans said the same during Apollo in the 60s. Money and politics are favourite topics of debate.

Even going back to the first days,I am not sure what has been  achieved or ever will be achieved with these missions.I can understand the curiosity value of the first landings but not much else.

• Like 1

On 25/08/2023 at 00:24, Red-Robbo said:

Cost £74m as well.

I am reminded of a talk I went to recently about the Beagle 2 Mars lander of a few years ago. Remember Kingswood-raised Prof. Colin Pillinger and his team that created a vessel from almost nothing and no budget - getting a crate on board a rocket was a miracle in itself. To actually make a soft landing on Mars beggared impossibilities; sadly the lander didn't quite function properly and no contact was made until after Colin passed away.

• Sad 1

On 24/08/2023 at 14:53, Slacker said:

Even going back to the first days,I am not sure what has been  achieved or ever will be achieved with these missions.I can understand the curiosity value of the first landings but not much else.

There are likely precious minerals on the moon, like lithium, for example. So countries want to get up there and start mining it. Not just from the moon but meteors too. 

Ultimately colonisation of the moon. Would clearly have huge strategic value to superpowers like America and China. Not only from a military defence perspective, but also to use the moon as a base to explore other planets, like Mars. 

They'll be permanent human habitation of the moon within the next 10 years. 

Indeed. There is the thorny question of who 'owns' the Moon, or has the legal rights to it. With a few successful nations looking to take the projects further and colonise, there could well be a serious row back here on Earth. After all, there are no police on the Moon. <Tries to get a Sting reference in, but fails>

Yes, we are likely to export our threats and warmongering, our desires and fears to the Moon. And the beat goes on...

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Erithacus said:

Indeed. There is the thorny question of who 'owns' the Moon, or has the legal rights to it. With a few successful nations looking to take the projects further and colonise, there could well be a serious row back here on Earth. After all, there are no police on the Moon. <Tries to get a Sting reference in, but fails>

Yes, we are likely to export our threats and warmongering, our desires and fears to the Moon. And the beat goes on...

Giant steps are what you take

Walking on the moon

We could live together, walking on, walking on the moon.

This might be looking for.

On 27/08/2023 at 22:59, Erithacus said:

. With a few successful nations looking to take the projects further and colonise, there could well be a serious row back here on Earth. After all, there are no police on the Moon. <Tries to get a Sting reference in, but fails>

Don’t land, don’t land so,

Don’t land so close to me…..

• Like 1

On 24/08/2023 at 05:28, Slacker said:

All of those Indian citizens living in extreme poverty must be so proud.Much more important than feeding your people and providing basic sanitation I suppose. 

Apparently between 2016 and 2021 uk gave them 2.3 billion in aid. 

Not sourced this for myself but if true this needs to stop. When we no longer have food banks then maybe we can help out others.