IGNORED

Luke Freeman

10 minutes ago, Swede said:

I would think he would be looking at a London club. I wouldn't be surprised if he turned up at QPR again as he had a very successful time there. I think he's put on a bit of timber though.

Struggled with weight a bit when we got promoted if I remember rightly. Quality player in his day but I assume isn't as fast as he used to be and a declining talent on the way down.

Very good at QPR, definitely an element of nostalgia though IMO.

2 minutes ago, pikeysrobins said:

Nostalgic for sure. I liked Freeman. 

I do recall that Freeman was booed throughout his last performance at Ashton Gate. Never understand why fans do this to players who served us well and in this case was quintessential to a fantastic promotion season. 

Could it have been due to the refusal to sign a new contract? Not that I condone the booing obvs, given as you say the integral role to the not just promotion but double season under Cotts.

2 minutes ago, pikeysrobins said:

I do recall that Freeman was booed throughout his last performance at Ashton Gate. Never understand why fans do this to players who served us well and in this case was quintessential to a fantastic promotion season. 

I remember fans singing his name, the season he left (and was struggling), think it was the Ipswich game when he finally scored a (cracking) goal. They were singing his name before he scored. I remember that his stepover worked in L1 but not the Championship. 

I don't remember Luke acknowledging this (support), perhaps he was unaware. Neither do I remember him saying anything when he left.

Bit of a cold fish, was my impression. 

• Like 2

Just now, pikeysrobins said:

I didn't boo but I assume it was to do with not wanting to be here - he ran down his contract didn't he?

Personally I think that fair enough, fulfill your contract and you can do whatever you want. It's not like he did what Fam did and just and just couldn't be bothered for the last 6 months of his contract.

• Like 2

Just wiki'd him - 26 apps for Luton since 2022. 

Lot of debate amongst the fan base on signing players with champ experience vs L1 players with potential. He does have that experience

Seems like a play as you play kinda deal might be low risk - not sure if he'd go for that though. 

On his day, a great player - tore up L1, but agree...never really pulled up many trees at champ level.

4 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

no thanks,played a large part in getting sykes sent off last year iirc

So he did!

Poor officiating however. Both should have gone or Sykes being sandwiched between two Luton players in the build-up should have been flagged as s routine foul and then Sykes v Freeman wouldn't have happened.

37 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Very good at QPR, definitely an element of nostalgia though IMO.

Could it have been due to the refusal to sign a new contract? Not that I condone the booing obvs, given as you say the integral role to the not just promotion but double season under Cotts.

Agree. 
Where on the ‘boo-ometre’ scale does ‘not wanted to sign contract for personal/professional reasons’ fall??

Easy to know what would be at the top end of such a scale though. Such things as saying not wanting your child to grow up talking Bristolian is one!! Shame when Maynard scored what is possibly the best away goal I’ve seen live for City!

Edited by pikeysrobins
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, pikeysrobins said:

Agree. 
Where on the ‘boo-ometre’ scale does ‘not wanted to sign contract for personal/professional reasons’ fall??

Easy to know what would be at the top end of such a scale though. Such things as saying not wanting your child to grow up talking Bristolian is one!! Shame when Maynard scored what is possibly the best away goal I’ve seen live for City!

Thanks for that mate - I now have bloody Robert De Niro`s Waiting as an earworm!

• Admin
3 hours ago, pikeysrobins said:

I would say it was because he was playing for the opposition 

All the swooning over him can be done before and after the game - during the game he is nothing but our opponent

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pikeysrobins said:

Because he should’ve been sent off against us last August, absolute mystery why he wasn’t 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pikeysrobins said:

Agree. 

I think I had misread the post.

When you said booed on his last performance at City I assumed you meant his final game in a City shirt.

The Freeman v Sykes incident would be why if you meant last August.