IGNORED

Future August fixtures

22A

Just an idea and was wondering what others thought.

Currently we have first League game on Saturday, League Cup in mid week, then another League game the next Saturday. At the end of the month, more mid week fixtures.

I would like to see the League Cup first round games delayed a week and become the fourth, not second fixture of the season. Then, at the end of the month, have games on the BH Monday afternoon and not the Tuesday or Wednesday night. It might well increase attendances, especially by visiting fans and thus increase gate receipts for clubs.

I’m pretty sure we used to have games on August bank holidays fairly routinely. But that got abandoned for all sorts of reasons. And football only abandons things when they don’t work financially! Too much competition from other activities - families, holidays, festivals, days out etc. Too close to the weekend games. To name just two. 

Edited by italian dave

2 hours ago, 22A said:

Just an idea and was wondering what others thought.

Currently we have first League game on Saturday, League Cup in mid week, then another League game the next Saturday. At the end of the month, more mid week fixtures.

I would like to see the League Cup first round games delayed a week and become the fourth, not second fixture of the season. Then, at the end of the month, have games on the BH Monday afternoon and not the Tuesday or Wednesday night. It might well increase attendances, especially by visiting fans and thus increase gate receipts for clubs.

If they scheduled Bank Holiday Monday games, all that would happen is that clubs would move their previous weekend games to the Friday night. They simply won't play twice in 3 days.

1 hour ago, Sir Geoff said:

The only change I would make is to bring the League Cup 1st round forward a week so that it is the first competitive game of the season. That way clubs could use it like they do their final pre season friendly but with a bit more at stake.

That’s a good idea. Likely to get bigger crowds too as the first match back 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

If they scheduled Bank Holiday Monday games, all that would happen is that clubs would move their previous weekend games to the Friday night. They simply won't play twice in 3 days.

Used to. Saturday, Monday I remember it often as I'm sure you do.

ie Saturday then Bank Holiday was not too uncommon.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Used to. Saturday, Monday I remember it often as I'm sure you do.

ie Saturday then Bank Holiday was not too uncommon.

It wasn't, but they won't go for it now.

Like how they used to schedule games for Easter Saturday and Monday, but the clubs just en masse started moving the Saturday game to Good Friday, so in the end they just scheduled it for the Friday to start with.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

It wasn't, but they won't go for it now.

Like how they used to schedule games for Easter Saturday and Monday, but the clubs just en masse started moving the Saturday game to Good Friday, so in the end they just scheduled it for the Friday to start with.

Fair yeah.

Just looked back at the early 2000s stuff and there was some weird scheduling tbh. Like League Cup 1st Round 2nd leg during the 1st International break in 2000-01!?

Championship games used to play on International weekends too until 15-20 years ago. Probably linked to the number of Internationals now at this level, 3 call-ups to postpone kinda thing.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1