IGNORED

One of "those" seasons?

ExiledAjax

Where we perform away from home but struggle in front of the blinding AG vomitory lights? 

One where the 1,200 away fans see the team at its full potential, and the 20,000 at home see only limp, febrile, stunted shadows of the players that travel?

A season where the few that see the good are drowned out by the volume of the masses that witness only the bad, and where the frustration builds to a home crescendo of "get him out".

Or...is it just that we've played 3 decent teams (plus Oxford) at home and some more mediocre teams on the road, and so that's where we've got our points.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 1

Besides Oxford I don’t think there’s been much between the other sides. I’ve a feeling even in 6 to 8 weeks time our away record will still be better than our home.

If we beat Swansea on Saturday we’ll go into the break probably in the top 10, where we want to be.

Another away draw won’t feel too bad but going into a two week break on the back of a defeat, in the bottom half, without a win at home and two tricky games next up won’t make for a relaxed break. 

• Like 1

I definitely think we’ve played three good teams at home so far. The only points Preston have dropped so far were against us, Birmingham look like top-six material and Norwich should be there or thereabouts. 

The problem I have is even before factoring in what we could spend, Scott’s sale has significantly weakened the midfield. It is patently obvious where we need to strengthen but SL isn’t willing to use any of the funds from the Scott sale. I don’t know what he’s thinking but he’s utterly deluded if he thinks we will be in the mix for the top six without strengthening in key positions.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

Besides Oxford I don’t think there’s been much between the other sides. I’ve a feeling even in 6 to 8 weeks time our away record will still be better than our home.

If we beat Swansea on Saturday we’ll go into the break probably in the top 10, where we want to be.

Another away draw won’t feel too bad but going into a two week break on the back of a defeat, in the bottom half, without a win at home and two tricky games next up won’t make for a relaxed break. 

Agreed, our home fixture list is tough for the next several games, really no one who looks "easy" until we host Sheff Wednesday on 4 November. Plymouth and Stoke are winnable games, but they're far from guaranteed.

Away looks a little kinder with Swansea struggling, Leicester not looking hugely convincing despite the wins, and then a trip to Rotherham before a tough game at Elland Road and then the derby with Cardiff at the end of October. Still some tough games, but I think some more likely points there.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, tin said:

I definitely think we’ve played three good teams at home so far. The only points Preston have dropped so far were against us, Birmingham look like top-six material and Norwich should be there or thereabouts. 

The problem I have is even before factoring in what we could spend, Scott’s sale has significantly weakened the midfield. It is patently obvious where we need to strengthen but SL isn’t willing to use any of the funds from the Scott sale. I don’t know what he’s thinking but he’s utterly deluded if he thinks we will be in the mix for the top six without strengthening in key positions.

I’m not sure Preston and Brum are gonna be up there all season, but they are decent sides, and currently all 4 opponents in the league (and Norwich) are top half teams.

We sold our best player, we are still evolving the team.

SL pulled up the drawbridge.

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, tin said:

Think we’ll struggle to finish in the top 10 without further investment in the squad, we lack too much quality in depth.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I’m not sure Preston and Brum are gonna be up there all season, but they are decent sides, and currently all 4 opponents in the league (and Norwich) are top half teams.

What I was gonna say. Maybe one of them surprises top 6, not meaning Norwich, but everyone is going to seem solid. Even if we played Middlesborough tomorrow we’d say a good side that started poorly. 

Our problem is our lack of quality in the front 3. Also the lack of athleticism in the midfield. They won’t change without investment and time. The front 3 needs investment. The midfield think a cb coming in helps push Naismith forward(he is first choice back up atm). That or time with Atkinson becoming fit. 

What is the situation with Benarous? He might need a loan but I’d have liked to see him in a couple games before we decide. That luxury is gone but he is someone who could perhaps help in both areas. I definitely think he is more attacker than midfield but in that more forward mf role I think he could perhaps be an option. 

• Like 3

Under Nige our home form has been patchy at best, I think it improved for a while once Scott got going but we're obviously missing him now. Most teams that do better away than at home are lacking a creative player in midfield, away from home it's not so bad as you have more opportunities through catching teams on the break. Having said that the teams we've played at AG this season are ones who we traditionally struggle against, perhaps we'll get our home confidence going when we play some of the weaker sides here.

To answer the OP original question I do think he could lose the home crowd, ultimately people want to watch a fun entertaining game and if that's not happening week after week the fans will turn on the manager even if we are safely in mid table thanks to away wins, we have all seen it happen before , if we can't become far more attacking at home Nigel could lose the crowd,

2 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Where we perform away from home but struggle in front of the blinding AG vomitory lights? 

One where the 1,200 away fans see the team at its full potential, and the 20,000 at home see only limp, febrile, stunted shadows of the players that travel?

A season where the few that see the good are drowned out by the volume of the masses that witness only the bad, and where the frustration builds to a home crescendo of "get him out".

Or...is it just that we've played 3 decent teams (plus Oxford) at home and some more mediocre teams on the road, and so that's where we've got our points.

Certainly the pattern thus far. Unfortunately poor and (perhaps just as bad) boring performances, combined with lack of major excitement about new players, will lead to dwindling attendances, quieter crowds and the whole thing will be a bit of a negative spiral.  Whenever I hear Nigel Pearson on the radio, he sounds just as hacked off as I feel.

Hope it all clicks into place one home game, but right now, it looks as if we're just on hold waiting for Tommy C to reappear. 

14 minutes ago, winsaw said:

To answer the OP original question I do think he could lose the home crowd, ultimately people want to watch a fun entertaining game and if that's not happening week after week the fans will turn on the manager even if we are safely in mid table thanks to away wins, we have all seen it happen before , if we can't become far more attacking at home Nigel could lose the crowd,

True

Its when our current supporter base seem to make the most noise 

AG is fantastic for away teams 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

We’ve not sold Vyner yet have we? ??

• Haha 1

Just now, Shauntaylor85 said:

Ashton Gate is a problem for us. As much as it’s a great day out off the pitch, on the pitch it’s so easy for an away side. I sort of miss the old sheds we used to have! Felt we were a tougher proposition! 

I genuinely have no idea why or how the quality of a stadium stand would be inverse to the results at home. How can the quality of construction affect the performance of 11 employees on the pitch? If it were true then surely the Gas would win every single home game whilst Spurs would be beaten 5-0 at home every week? I really think that's a case of looking back with nostalgia soaked glasses on perceived halcyon days and imprinting an emotional response to that.

My opening post was more in mind of seasons we've had where because there's a difference in home and away performances and results, we see the home fanbase overreact and calm for change in management/ownership/selection when it's not really needed.

1 minute ago, pillred said:

Deja vu then.

I can accept it to some extent wheb we were under the pump as we were financially in 2021-22 and maybe until Semenyo went last year. That is understandable if disappointing.

Now though it's totally baffling, and infuriating. Less injuries would help of course but maybe it's the norm for clubs now.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

I genuinely have no idea why or how the quality of a stadium stand would be inverse to the results at home. How can the quality of construction affect the performance of 11 employees on the pitch? If it were true then surely the Gas would win every single home game whilst Spurs would be beaten 5-0 at home every week? I really think that's a case of looking back with nostalgia soaked glasses on perceived halcyon days and imprinting an emotional response to that.

My opening post was more in mind of seasons we've had where because there's a difference in home and away performances and results, we see the home fanbase overreact and calm for change in management/ownership/selection when it's not really needed.

Good teams win games!

The 2014-15 season being a case in point - Ashton Gate was a mess with only three sides open and you just know some fans would’ve trotted out the whole “the disruption derailed our season” line if we’d not gone up.

As it was, it was never even discussed because we were a better team that everyone else!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

Good teams win games!

The 2014-15 season being a case in point - Ashton Gate was a mess with only three sides open and you just know some fans would’ve trotted out the whole “the disruption derailed our season” line if we’d not gone up.

As it was, it was never even discussed because we were a better team that everyone else!

But, if the insane theory that stadium quality inversely affects team performance and result holds, then it was no surprise that we dominated in 2014/15. In fact it was inevitable that our only successful season in recent years would coincide with the year that our stadium was wrecked.* The answer is obvious - rip down AG, sit everyone on whatever garden furniture we can find, and pretty soon we will be smashing seven bells out of Man City and the glory boys and romping to our 5th consecutive Champion's League trophy.

*See also Luton last season for irrefutable evidence of this theory being true.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 1

Tbh while the idea that a stadium improves a side or makes it falter is suspect, there can be some marginal gains.

A large away following when a majority will stand and sing will help the away side rather a lot especially as we have about 1.2k tucked into a corner. Pre redeveloped AG didn't really have this. It did though have the East End which had home and away fans which was of a certain design, low roof, better acoustics- seats with no backs which kind of incentivised standing.

I don't pretend to know any answer that will work in the short term but 3-3.5k away fans vs our situation will hand an advantage.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

2 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

But, if the insane theory that stadium quality inversely affects team performance and result holds, then it was no surprise that we dominated in 2014/15. In fact it was inevitable that our only successful season in recent years would coincide with the year that our stadium was wrecked.* The answer is obvious - rip down AG, sit everyone on whatever garden furniture we can find, and pretty soon we will be smashing seven bells out of Man City and the glory boys and romping to our 5th consecutive Champion's League trophy.

*See also Luton last season for irrefutable evidence of this theory being true.

Shedman was a Shaman and we are now subject to his vengeful satanic spells .

I agree- the South Stand must go.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

This theory will be well tested when we play Swansea, Liecs away, this month, Swansea looks the most likely for us to get anything from 1pt? and there will be hordes....from WBA, Stoke and Plymouth to witness the home crescendo of.........well something

Difficult month ahead. Fail Oh No GIF by The Great British Bake Off

Edited by wtf

Still,it may get worse yet

We could get that Sheridan Robins , or whatever her name is , (The one who screeches all the time covering Yeovil) doing the commentary for the rest of the a season on RB

City have got it

*silent gap* 

Now Norwich on the attack

*silent gap* 

Shot

*silent gap* 

Vyner has it..... moves forward....

*silent gap* 

Comes to nothing.

?‍♂️ 

Jesus Wept