IGNORED

Steve Lansdown……..

BCFC1512

18 hours ago, Cidre Monita said:

Finally the blinkers are coming off of people! We all know we can’t carry on like this 4fs. Thanks for everything Steve, but you can’t hold the club back any longer. 

If he won't do anything,then the fans will have to ,like a protest, enter the ground but stay in the concourse untill after the kickoff whistle, with a banner demanding "LANSDOWN OUT", in the South Stand,just an idea, 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Redandproud said:

If he won't do anything,then the fans will have to ,like a protest, enter the ground but stay in the concourse untill after the kickoff whistle, with a banner demanding "LANSDOWN OUT", in the South Stand,just an idea, 

You will Still need a buyer with very deep pockets!! 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, marmite said:

I think you may have inadvertently stumbled across the reason for the current situation when you stated that Lansdown had established us in the Championship.  

Is that perhaps as far as he's willing to back us?  Is the Premierships costs perhaps a step too far for him?

Bottom line; he is happy just where we are, lets just say; very wary of taking the next step up, strangely that doesnt say much for his own belief in the managers he brings in.........or does it......can see it relating to all dog owners who put their hand/finger out and say STAY! Stop It No Way GIF by SWR3

1 minute ago, wtf said:

Bottom line; he is happy just where we are, lets just say; very wary of taking the next step up, strangely that doesnt say much for his own belief in the managers he brings in.........or does it......can see it relating to all dog owners who put their hand/finger out and say STAY! Stop It No Way GIF by SWR3

Ironically he has just the right manager to continue building IMO if only he would back him a bit.

• Like 5

• Admin

"It is my belief that..." the reason it's taking so long for a sale/investment to come forward is that SL wants a buyer for Bristol Sport, lock stock and barrel. Whilst there may be buyers out there who see the potential at the right place for buying Bristol City, backing themselves through processes to get us promoted and seeing the value of that investment increase*, the added surcharge that comes from the rugby and basketball teams being included in any sale pushes would-be-investors towards other clubs in the Championship with similar potential.

*Football clubs largely remain unprofitable account wise but the profit seems to be in holding for a few years then selling at a higher price, much like housing. For City, that would require a promotion first.

1 hour ago, cidercity1987 said:

I don't think the squad is underperforming at all.

We have an average goalkeeper, a good defence, a collection of adequate defensive style midfielders without any attacking flair, workmanlike wide players and one fit 33 year old striker.

And about half a dozen injured.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Debt is only a problem so long as the lender in this case mostly SL, wants it repaid.

The cash losses are the key, could we run on a cash break even basis in the PL without owner input. Again Brentford are an example albeit we only have Year 1.

This is the million dollar question. Would Steve be happy to continue backing us with little or no chance of seeing a financial return?

He knows the risks and the odds are stacked against him. He said at last years Senior Reds that the best way to become a millionaire was to start as a billionaire and buy a football club!

He knows he won't make money but how much is he prepared to lose?

12 minutes ago, Redandproud said:

8 minutes ago, Rob k said:

You will Still need a buyer with very deep pockets!! 

Reckon we can fit "Lansdown out but new owner who isn't a crook but is just an extremely nice bloke with loads of dosh who'll just let Pearson get on with his job in" onto a banner. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, marmite said:

This is the million dollar question. Would Steve be happy to continue backing us with little or no chance of seeing a financial return?

He knows the risks and the odds are stacked against him. He said at last years Senior Reds that the best way to become a millionaire was to start as a billionaire and buy a football club!

Well if he had managed what every single club of similar standing and many lower have achieved in the last 25 years (except perhaps Sheff Wed) and get promoted to the PL, then there's his profit right there

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, marmite said:

Let's see what Brentford and their admittedly Year 1 Cash Flow was. They repaid certain loans at least in part.

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Because most people can see that Pearson has been working with a large number of constraints placed upon him, and has done a job within that context - we have been relatively stable within the Championship, made excellent and increasing use of the academy pathway, and generated much needed income by developing and selling some of those young players. And I don't think most people think the squad is underperforming; it's a limited mid-table squad getting mid-table results.

Lansdown on the other hand is much more of a mixed bag. Of course he has transformed the club off the pitch; the redevelopment of the stadium and the new training ground are undeniable and of course he deserves great credit for that lasting legacy. But the footballing side is much less impressive; a club of this size, in a city of this size, with the amount of money put in over the years...should reasonably be able to expect to at least match the achievements of Bournemouth, Luton, Huddersfield, Brentford and Swansea to name but five. Merely "stabilising us in the Championship" is simply not enough for Bristol City - particularly when Lansdown also oversaw the instable times that preceded it. We are without doubt the biggest club never to have played in the Premier League, and while that remains the case, Steve Lansdown's ownership can never be said to have been a total success.

Well said.
You do have split in half the Lansdown legacy off the pitch which is good, then realise the Lansdown legacy on the pitch, which is bloody awful. He really does not have a clue.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Ian M said:

"It is my belief that..." the reason it's taking so long for a sale/investment to come forward is that SL wants a buyer for Bristol Sport, lock stock and barrel. Whilst there may be buyers out there who see the potential at the right place for buying Bristol City, backing themselves through processes to get us promoted and seeing the value of that investment increase*, the added surcharge that comes from the rugby and basketball teams being included in any sale pushes would-be-investors towards other clubs in the Championship with similar potential.

*Football clubs largely remain unprofitable account wise but the profit seems to be in holding for a few years then selling at a higher price, much like housing. For City, that would require a promotion first.

There is only one person responsible for putting the club in a position where it seems unattractive to buyers in comparison to other clubs. If we take our fan blinkers off we are relatively high cost, achieve very little and are treading water in a period of austerity caused by basket case spending from a few seasons ago that directly affects our competitiveness. Then you have to add in a structure where it is very difficult to purchase the football club only if that’s all that interests you and probably restricted even if you can broker that deal. Who wants to buy a business with those “credentials”?

• Flames 3

2 hours ago, Ian M said:

Could this be a situation where our manager is actually more popular with the supporters than with the hierarchy. Quite rare for that to happen, it could be argued that Cotts achieved this too, though his reaction to backing being withheld turned a few against him.

Edit: but can we learn from this history? Unpopular manager with the board, has backing withheld when he feels close to being competitive, reacts badly, gets replaced, new manager gets backed. We have built up a little "nest egg" to support a new appointment in the January window?

…and what happens next.  The manager is the one that goes.

FWIW I think Nige is toeing the line…for now.  He feels this squad isn’t far off (others may disagree, that’s cool) and if we can muddle our way through the period without Andi and Tommy, get some more info re McCrorie, we can still be in a reasonable position.  If he does that, then he is gonna make it difficult for SL to give him the heave-ho, and strengthen his own position to get an extension.  That may culminate with a re-think of budget in January.  Tgat will be a helluva an achievement if he can keep / get us mid-table / top-half.

So I think he hides his true feelings for now.

Losing Alex (ok his injury has in some respects cushioned the blow) was far from ideal for the early season aspirations, but it’s hardly like we are sat in the bottom three is it.

However should things start to get messy, then I think we will hear some home truths because I think he knows he’ll be on his way.

40 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

And sign Adam Murphy...?

which in the grand scheme of things on a 4 year contract with wages would’ve been peanuts.

Shame his injury history has played out, because he looks a talented kid.

• Like 4
  • Flames 2

• Admin
4 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

There is only one person responsible for putting the club in a position where it seems unattractive to buyers in comparison to other clubs. If we take our fan blinkers off we are relatively high cost, achieve very little and are treading water in a period of austerity caused by basket case spending from a few seasons ago that directly affects our competitiveness. Then you have to add in a structure where it is very difficult to purchase the football club only if that’s all that interests you and probably restricted even if you can broker that deal. Who wants to buy a business with those “credentials”?

Oh I thought of another factor. He could also be wanting the Village Green land included in any deal with the planning permission for housing on part of it being justification for another bump in asking price.

Not good if you're just interested in buying a football club and trying to make it succeed.

• Like 2

Just now, bs3 said:

I posted last week about a delay in starting the new arena . After reading 9 pages of this am I putting 2 and 2 together and deducing that Lansdown is about to cash in his chips with Bristol Sport?

This was mentioned at the Norwich game the other night.
It feels like something is happening soon one way or the other. The club is treading water at best, and IMO (said it on here for a while), Bristol Sport is now cutting across the the football club. Can only assume something is going to happen soon, but only Lansdown knows probably.

• Admin
8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

FWIW I think Nige is toeing the line…for now.  He feels this squad isn’t far off (others may disagree, that’s cool) and if we can muddle our way through the period without Andi and Tommy, get some more info re McCrorie, we can still be in a reasonable position.  If he does that, then he is gonna make it difficult for SL to give him the heave-ho, and strengthen his own position to get an extension.  That may culminate with a re-think of budget in January.  Tgat will be a helluva an achievement if he can keep / get us mid-table / top-half.

Losing Alex (ok his injury has in some respects cushioned the blow) was far from ideal for the early season aspirations, but it’s hardly like we are sat in the bottom three is it.

However should things start to get messy, then I think we will hear some home truths because I think he knows he’ll be on his way.

which in the grand scheme of things on a 4 year contract with wages would’ve been peanuts.

I agree. Other than posts on a message board, there won't be any real pressure on the board unless results dip and we fall down the table and if that happens a lot of fans would likely turn on NP, making it an easy win to fire him and relieve that pressure.

The depressing part for me is that I have zero confidence that the club will appoint from a club playing philosophy POV and his replacement will start the long process of re-shaping the squad in his desired image.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think Nige will be professional to the end in terms of the football side of it. However I also see him as a Manager that won’t bullshit the fans to keep the Upstairs Mob happy and if things are playing out as many people are concerned about them we will be hearing a few interesting interviews before the season ends and/or he is relieved of his duties.

4 minutes ago, Ian M said:

I agree. Other than posts on a message board, there won't be any real pressure on the board unless results dip and we fall down the table and if that happens a lot of fans would likely turn on NP, making it an easy win to fire him and relieve that pressure.

The depressing part for me is that I have zero confidence that the club will appoint from a club playing philosophy POV and his replacement will start the long process of re-shaping the squad in his desired image.

Aka Groundhog Day…….

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Probably not, though Nige has shown with Yeboah that age is just a number, and Murphy has at least played mens football.

I agree the whole Thomason/Gardner-Hickman/Murphy plan is hardly inspiring.

In fact, isn't Gardner-Hickman more cover for McCrorie? 

Yeah it was my interpretation that Gardner-Hickman came into focus after the McCrorie injury, but you could still argue that he's the Thomason alternative too. Even if we'd have got Murphy it's a little underwhelming, if even plausible that this was the plan that Tinnion referred to.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

In fact, isn't Gardner-Hickman more cover for McCrorie? 

Time will tell, as with the low numbers we have as long as he stays fit then he’s going to get plenty of opportunities somewhere in the team.

My hunch at present is he’s more us hedging our bets, we are short of RB cover until McCrorie returns & he’s another possible option in midfield too, so we brought him in because we are low on numbers & he can fill several different roles.

WBA supporting mate of mine thinks that he’s best utilised in midfield.

34 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Reckon we can fit "Lansdown out but new owner who isn't a crook but is just an extremely nice bloke with loads of dosh who'll just let Pearson get on with his job in" onto a banner. 

"And is not an Arab" on it as well, just to please a few on here...

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

And about half a dozen injured.

Unless we are going to include Benarous, which as he’s only ever started 7 games for us is a bit of a stretch, we have 4 out, one of whom McCrorie is technically ill rather than out injured.

I saw Leeds had 11 players missing at the start of this season, I really do think we obsess over this thinking we are some outlier when we’re certainly not.

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Unless we are going to include Benarous, which as he’s only ever started 7 games for us is a bit of a stretch, we have 4 out, one of whom McCrorie is technically ill rather than out injured.

I saw Leeds had 11 players missing at the start of this season, I really do think we obsess over this thinking we are some outlier when we’re certainly not.

Much bigger and deeper squad than us. 5 out of a thin squad is really dangerously thin.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I think it's because folks remember the days of yore, when there were fewer (and more primitive) medical checks and players often played on with injuries, with the result that their careers ended earlier. 

• Like 1

Just now, Red-Robbo said:

I think it's because folks remember the days of yore, when there were fewer (and more primitive) medical checks and players often played on with injuries, with the result that their careers ended earlier. 

Plus the Holden COVID season when they were dropping like flies, think it was double figures out then.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Redandproud said:

Let's pull out of the football bubble a minute, and look at it rationally and from a business perspective.

We protest against a guy not using his money to bankroll us. If he is running us cash breakeven he is totally well within his rights. The apparent moving of the goal posts is something else entirely but if an entity in this case us, are not cash breakeven or better than we are reliant on the owner topping that up...we had about £158,641 in Cash in Bank and Cash Equivalents at the end of 2021-22, how long would that last.

Unless there is a binding contract there is no legal obligation.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

20 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I never mentioned the word outlier. I said we have half a dozen out, ok I was wrong it's five. You only have to look at our bench to see that we have a problem. We have a thin squad (and before anyone says that's Nige's choice we are either at or very close to agreed maximum wage bill aren't we?). So thin that when the U23's have a game we can't even fill the bench with players close to the standard at the moment. The injured players, even Benarous in my view, would all add something to the squad.

If we are going to exclude players with limited appearances then we have a squad that doesn't contain a competitive number 2 goalkeeper...................and can't afford to add one by the sound of it. We also have Yeboah, Aroaye, Knight-Lebell and Leeson filling the bench. If they only count as players "at a stretch" too due to limited appearances then that leaves us with around 15 available players at the moment!!

Isn’t the remit to be self sustainable? That term essentially means sell to fund future purchases. The semenyo sale funded the signings that have come through the door already so the Scott sale should offer some decent funding to further strengthen. Lansdown is essentially going against his own remit to restrict the budget despite the sake of Scott. They need to be pulled up on this because if we can use money generated from sales, and Lansdown won’t spend any other money how the hell are we ever supposed to progress?

@BLRed

Self sustainable can mean two things.

Do we mean a balancing cash in cash out or as close to a breakeven in Profit and Loss as we can- perhaps both.

I do agree with your overarching point of course but if SL is tired of putting the same amount of money in...

Then there isn't much scope for expensive spending until we find a new funder, fresh investment or SL changes his mind again.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1