IGNORED

Steve Lansdown……..

BCFC1512

1 hour ago, RedRock said:

Don’t disagree. Some fatigue setting in for a few of us who been here before, got the t-shirt, as we prepare for yet another spin of the wheel. Near sixty years of hurt (aside from our brief foray in the top league) is beginning to take its toll …..  it is indeed the hope that kills you! 

Shirley though, the law of averages dictate it must be our turn soon.

Keep the faith and just think you could have been born a Rovers Supporter. 

Rovers will get there before us I really believe that

• Haha 4

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Any time before yesterday!

Cmon CEO Max, let’s hear your comms! ?

Fair point.
With the recent planning decision, AS sale, future direction of the club, this CEO whoever he is should be making a statement. Otherwise the rumour mill will build and a lot of City fans will turn.

A few more bad results and AG will become very toxic quickly. If there is an interested buyer, someone should be making a statement as some of the recent decisions on players/transfers etc are bewildering. Does Lansdown want the team to progress?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

We spent £26m in gross fees and spent more than 100 pct of wages in 2019-20. How big a gamble do you want. The wage bill ticked up again in 2020-21. In fact our wage bill was 100 pct or above of turnover for 5 successive years.

Bryan and Reid, we needed to raise a few million that summer as new FFP measures were coming in. I advise checking the loss before transfer activity to try and work backwards that year.

Think we needed to raise £5-7m in wage and amortisation savings or transfer profits based on that. EFL could have restricted us had we decided to ignore..financial rules can dictate activity at times sadly, we saw that for 18 months to 2 years post 2021. We had to demonstrate how we would comply in offer to trade to some degree back in 2018.

I'm happy to look back at those clubs as I honestly don't know on the last paragraph. The £39m has to be adhetrf to at all times I know that much. Albeit Bournemouth cheated when it was easier to do so and have been reaping rewards ever since.

You are missing my point! I’m talking about selling our best players not spending! We have a good player every time we sell in the last year! Buck the trend roll the the dice ! This assumption a players doesn’t want to be here anymore and will upset the Apple cart is a wrong assumption! Quite the opposite them having a great final year with us could lead to a promotion and a massive deal with us or a free transfer move with a huge signing on fee this is what I’m referring to ! The trend is we have a quality player Reid, Brownhill,Webster and now Scott that our manager builds a style of play around and we all just accept amongst each other “yep he’s definitely going “ how about we keep them ? Just a thought 

FFP what a wonderful excuse for failure 

Edited by Fred89

3 hours ago, Supersonic Robin said:

But do we think other teams at this level are much different?

Do we think there are other clubs who wouldn't have sold Alex Scott this summer? (especially outside of the parachute payment clubs)

Yes clubs looking to be competitive in their league, we sold to Bournemouth not Man City, if Scott actually believed we were going to be at the top end of this league or they sold it that way to him I doubt he would of wanted to leave! We packed his bags and took less than £25m I bet

3 minutes ago, Fred89 said:

Yes clubs looking to be competitive in their league, we sold to Bournemouth not Man City, if Scott actually believed we were going to be at the top end of this league or they sold it that way to him I doubt he would of wanted to leave! We packed his bags and took less than £25m I bet

In part payments also most probably.

26 minutes ago, glynriley said:

******* hell. I thought those that expect LJ to come back we’re unhinged. 
Stay away from sharp objects mate. 

Well they look like they are going to be competitive this season and looking at the other clubs beating us to the punch over the last 30 years once they come up what’s stopping them doing what Luton , Bournemouth, Brentford , Blackpool,Wigan have all done before us ? 

5 minutes ago, Fred89 said:

I suspect a signing on fee in the £m and wages of £50k+ per week may have colored his decision.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, exAtyeoMax said:

if he was going to sell the club, would there be a preferable date to do so, or at least announce it? 

Financially I'd say no not really, maybe just after the accounts are published but to be honest that's a thin argument. Tax might come into it, maybe, but if it's Pula Sport selling BCFC Holdings then my understanding is that would be taxed in Guernsey so tax isn't much of an issue as there is no capital gains tax or stamp duty on shares in Guernsey, so who cares about the tax year?

Football-wise I'd argue that you'd want a transfer window soon after the sale concluded. Would allow the new owners to appoint the manager they wanted (could of course include sticking with the incumbent), and then gives him an instant opportunity to alter the squad under whatever parameters the new regime set.

So I'd say early December, or towards the end of the season would be your ideal times.

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

I suspect a signing on fee in the £m and wages of £50k+ per week may have colored his decision.

Great but still was under contract with us and our choice! “You can wait until next summer boy, we want to win promotion “ simple as that! Have you heard Pearson talk recently? He’s clearly annoyed by the Sale! Our team was built around him this season is effectively a rebuild finding a new way to play if you can’t see that you are blind!

And yeah I’m aware he is injured right now

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Fred89 said:

Rovers will get there before us I really believe that

Remember there was a top flight before the prem? But I do agree after so many making it to the prem, it wouldn't surprise me to see teams like Preston, Millwall, Rovers to did it before us. Could add in Wrexham in all fairness with their backing.

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Fred89 said:

Well they look like they are going to be competitive this season and looking at the other clubs beating us to the punch over the last 30 years once they come up what’s stopping them doing what Luton , Bournemouth, Brentford , Blackpool,Wigan have all done before us ? 

Are they looking competitive? They’ve got 5 points from 5 games. You sound like my gAss mates, getting carried away by a few over the hill signings and some premier league kids. 

I get everyone is pissed off with our malaise at the moment, but let’s not get carried away. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

22 minutes ago, fisherrich said:

Fair point.
With the recent planning decision, AS sale, future direction of the club, this CEO whoever he is should be making a statement. Otherwise the rumour mill will build and a lot of City fans will turn.

I asked yesterday whether this frugality comes from SL or, as I believe, the new CEO? 'Look what I've saved Steve. Yes, we've been Relegated but I've saved money'.

Maybe it isn't SL who's the bearer of bad news here?

• Hmmm 1

2 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Remember there was a top flight before the prem? But I do agree after so many making it to the prem, it wouldn't surprise me to see teams like Preston, Millwall, Rovers to did it before us. Could add in Wrexham in all fairness with their backing.

Well if we keep making our managers have to find new ways of playing every summer by selling our essential players with no contingency I can see this happening every time 

30 minutes ago, fisherrich said:

Fair point.

A few more bad results and AG will become very toxic quickly. If there is an interested buyer, someone should be making a statement as some of the recent decisions on players/transfers etc are bewildering. Does Lansdown want the team to progress?

This new CEO, pretty underwhelmed to date.

Perhaps he is doing loads of good behind the scenes who knows but fairly underwhelming from what we can see.

49 minutes ago, fisherrich said:

Fair point.

⬇️⬇️⬇️

17 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

This new CEO, pretty underwhelmed to date.

Perhaps he is doing loads of good behind the scenes who knows but fairly underwhelming from what we can see.

FWIW - firstly I expected Phil Alexander to make some comment during this window, especially after the Scott sale.  Although maybe (big maybe) SL grabbing the glory negated the need.  I don’t buy that personally, and I’d expect a rough calendar of when we can expect updates from the Football Club CEO.

Secondly re planning permission, that really isn’t Alexander’s job.  This should be coming from someone like Mark Kelly or Martin Griffiths (assume he is still around…can’t get on BS website).

23 minutes ago, Banjo Red said:

Whatever Lansdowns legacy is with BCFC it is starting to be tarnished. The financial reality is there for all to see, we as fans would like clarification as to where we are heading.

You'd think we were relegation candidates going by some of the comments on this thread

@exAtyeoMax on timing of a sale.

I don't know if this is what you were getting at but I'd say also that I don't buy the line/argument that SL might be holding back transfer profit in order to boost the accounts and make the club look more attractive. Every football club loses money, it's a loss-making industry and by any sane and ordinary valuation assessment all clubs are essentially worthless (bar any land they may own).

To any new owner/investor making an investment the value of this football club doesn't lie in its accounts, it's EBITDA, it's turnover. The value lies in potential. 

Buy this club in the Championship for £80m, get it promoted, and sell it for £400m. That's the primary ROI that any new owner will look at. If they don't, then they don't understand the industry and we don't want them as owners.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

@exAtyeoMax on timing of a sale.

I don't know if this is what you were getting at but I'd say also that I don't buy the line/argument that SL might be holding back transfer profit in order to boost the accounts and make the club look more attractive. Every football club loses money, it's a loss-making industry and by any sane and ordinary valuation assessment all clubs are essentially worthless (bar any land they may own).

To any new owner/investor making an investment the value of this football club doesn't lie in its accounts, it's EBITDA, it's turnover. The value lies in potential. 

Buy this club in the Championship for £80m, get it promoted, and sell it for £400m. That's the primary ROI that any new owner will look at. If they don't, then they don't understand the industry and we don't want them as owners.

I just wondered if there was any specific time during the financial year/football season that would be better to announce a sale…

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Riaz said:

You'd think we were relegation candidates going by some of the comments on this thread

I always try my best to be positive arias, but the sad reflection is I now fully expect us to be in a relegation fight this season, but I sincerely hope I am wrong..

Just now, PFree said:

I always try my best to be positive arias, but the sad reflection is I now fully expect us to be in a relegation fight this season, but I sincerely hope I am wrong..

Riaz...

1 hour ago, Fred89 said:

Hmm, not so sure on this. Coventry, for example, sold both Hamer and Gyokeres, but still seem as though they're "looking to be competitive".

Equally, I think we'd have really struggled to convince Scott to stay. I don't think he would've kicked up a fuss, but I gather his preference was to move to a Premier League team, and quite understandably. Would any of us decline a salary potentially 5-10 times greater than our current one purely out of confidence in the future of our current employer?

I'm not sure any team at this level can realistically expect to keep their best (Prem standard) players for more than a couple of years.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PFree said:

Riaz...

Cant see it.

Another season of mid table boringness? Probably. But not a relegation battle IMO

57 minutes ago, Fred89 said:

Great but still was under contract with us and our choice! “You can wait until next summer boy, we want to win promotion “ simple as that! Have you heard Pearson talk recently? He’s clearly annoyed by the Sale! Our team was built around him this season is effectively a rebuild finding a new way to play if you can’t see that you are blind!

And yeah I’m aware he is injured right now

I thought it was bizarre playing him so much in pre-season if we genuinely thought he was going. That suggests Nige hoped to keep him, or didn't expect him to leave. Otherwise we should have left him out and worked around not having him.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Riaz said:

Cant see it.

Another season of mid table boringness? Probably. But not a relegation battle IMO

Toothless up front, scared of playing at home, a real lack of any squad depth, going in to winter with a truly wafer-thin squad. Can't see any reason to write off a relegation battle at this point. 

14 hours ago, sugarwray said:

SL is passionate about the club, be careful what you wish for. I trust him to act in the best interests of the club. Like so many others on this forum, when he wakes up tomorrow the City result is the first thing on his mind. Compare with other owners.

Ok.

Vincent Tan, wakes up in the morning, first thing on his mind: wish we'd got Bale.

Bloke at Plymouth, wakes up, first thought: cheese and onion, or proper Cornish

Bloke at Stoke, wakes up, first thought: summat to do with betting, horses, odds.

Tony Bloom,  up, first: that Benham's a ****

Matthew Benham, up, first: that Bloom's a ****

Blokes at Man Utd, up, first: baseball, hot dogs, candy, Trump, Harry McGuire

Bloke at Spurs: Lloyd Kelly? 

Bloke at Chelsea: must buy someone today

Bloke at FGR: is it windy today?

Bloke at QPR: frug me, Chris Martin is slow

Bloke at Burnley: is Vince ok?

Bloke at Everton: Oh no

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Flames 1

20 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

Hmm, not so sure on this. Coventry, for example, sold both Hamer and Gyokeres, but still seem as though they're "looking to be competitive".

But what was their FFP position, compared to ours? They might be better placed this summer than we are. Or they might not have a self-imposed wage ceiling (collective or individual) like we have - like our owner has decided on, as Pearson made clear yesterday. Maybe they're happy to re-invest the transfer fees received for Hamer and Gyokeres - whereas our owner has decided not to do that (just for this summer or permanently it would be nice to know, wouldn't it?) and to build himself a Nest Egg instead. 

No two clubs start from the same place in a transfer window, so it's pointless comparing what we do to anyone else. Think of it like the start of an F1 race - every transfer window, each club has a slightly different position on the starting grid.

This summer, we're somewhere near the back - and the owner has put the handbrake on as well! Meanwhile the likes of Birmingham and Coventry have sped off into the distance. 

But as the race is only 4 games old, we just have to hope we can catch up with them. Slow and steady wins the race, as they say.

Come to think of it, that sounds like something the owner might say - to which the reply would be - you've had 20 years to win this race, mate, how about someone else has a go behind the wheel?   

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 1
  • Flames 1