IGNORED

Steve Lansdown……..

BCFC1512

2 hours ago, tin said:

And surely if SL had a manager who achieved those goals, he’d be keen to praise those achievements and secure his long-term future… ?

You’d have thought so wouldn’t you. ??‍♂️

1 hour ago, HitchinRed said:

My take on SL is that we have no right to insist that he spends tens of millions of pounds each year on the club, regardless of how many millions he has or because he owns the club. 

I agree.  But he has in the past, the very recent past, but why now, of all times, to pull up the drawbridge?  And in fairness, it’s not really “why now”, it’s the lack of communication regarding the seismic change of funding strategy.

Is it because he’s close to selling?

Is it because of his lack of Cashflow?  I know that sounds stupid, but he’s pumping money into all manner of projects.  It’s not just a case of nipping to the ATM.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

You’d have thought so wouldn’t you. ??‍♂️

I agree.  But he has in the past, the very recent past, but why now, of all times, to pull up the drawbridge?  And in fairness, it’s not really “why now”, it’s the lack of communication regarding the seismic change of funding strategy.

Is it because he’s close to selling?

Is it because of his lack of Cashflow?  I know that sounds stupid, but he’s pumping money into all manner of projects.  It’s not just a case of nipping to the ATM.

I think the quotes in this thread show that he’s always wanted to try and operate sustainably, but has relented and been tempted to another throw of the dice. Probably by people like MA persuading him that this time will be different and player trading will save the day and be consistently profitable. It may be illogical but it’s not unlike the temptation of gambling, is it?

6 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I’m “Mr 10p Accumulator”, so  I dunno!!!  I created a SkyBet account with £10 over 20 years ago.  I’ve only topped it up a couple of times in all these years. ???

I’ve only ever played for matches or pre decimal coins. ?

I wouldn’t say it was like gambling in SL’s case, more like an investor or speculator. A more measured kind of gambling on an unknown outcome but with a greater measure of planning, even if it’s spontaneous in some ways. It’s a bit more Del Boy to me… ?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I wouldn’t say it was like gambling in SL’s case, more like an investor or speculator. A more measured kind of gambling on an unknown outcome but with a greater measure of planning, even if it’s spontaneous in some ways. It’s a bit more Del Boy to me… ?

Delboy - This time next year Rodney (Jon) we’ll be millionaires

Rodney - But Del (Steve) we used to billionaires

Uncle Albert Adomah - you pair of plonkers, back in the war….

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Without knowing Pearson’s real thoughts on this matter I believe that Uncle Steve is sailing very close to the wind with the spirit of the club ,that the manager has worked so hard to instill , and risks to put it in jeopardy . 
The positivity surrounding our potential assault on the top six is looking a bit hollow at the moment because of lack of  reinvestment in one or two areas of the squad.
Confidence is a fragile thing and one or two bad results and I fear for a nosedive. Nigel has been brilliant at getting results when necessary but can he keep doing it when he appears to be undermined. 
We’ve been over this a thousand times but I want NP to be given the tools to make a genuine push for the top six and at present, despite all the good work, we are looking just a bit short when SL could have authorised one or two key signings to boost everybody.

• Like 11

12 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Without knowing Pearson’s real thoughts on this matter I believe that Uncle Steve is sailing very close to the wind with the spirit of the club ,that the manager has worked so hard to instill , and risks to put it in jeopardy . 
The positivity surrounding our potential assault on the top six is looking a bit hollow at the moment because of lack of  reinvestment in one or two areas of the squad.
Confidence is a fragile thing and one or two bad results and I fear for a nosedive. Nigel has been brilliant at getting results when necessary but can he keep doing it when he appears to be undermined. 
We’ve been over this a thousand times but I want NP to be given the tools to make a genuine push for the top six and at present, despite all the good work, we are looking just a bit short when SL could have authorised one or two key signings to boost everybody.

Yes, totally. Plus it could unsettle the players, coaches etc.

That spirit you mention is so very important…it has a 2015 back in the championship vibe about it. That loss of momentum then was catastrophic, and could happen again now…

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Nigel is a very aware fella & I'm sure will be working somthing of a seige mentality -

Sadly that still doesn't bring in that xtra little bit of quality,that shot in the arm to edge us on.

Mr Lansdown is pushing his luck!

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Son of Fred said:

Nigel is a very aware fella & I'm sure will be working somthing of a seige mentality -

Sadly that still doesn't bring in that xtra little bit of quality,that shot in the arm to edge us on.

This is Lansdown all over, no man management skills. A weakness/misunderstanding (to be kind) of managing human beings. Good football managers are brilliant at it. Pep, Sir Alex, Sir Bobby, Jurgen to name a few are/were masters.
Lansdown should read Sir Alex’s autobiography. He might learn a thing or two about football teams etc.

52 minutes ago, fisherrich said:

This is Lansdown all over, no man management skills. A weakness/misunderstanding (to be kind) of managing human beings. Good football managers are brilliant at it. Pep, Sir Alex, Sir Bobby, Jurgen to name a few are/were masters.
Lansdown should read Sir Alex’s autobiography. He might learn a thing or two about football teams etc.

Self made billionaire, frightening to think what he could have become with man management skills.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Anyone notice that the Bears got battered 75-0 yesterday in a competitive cup game. They have released a lot of players recently and looks like they are now operating under similar financial restrictions as us. Pat Lam mentioned that it’s the smallest squad he’s ever had to operate with. There seems to be a common theme here - I wonder who the benefactor of the Bears is? Can’t quite recall his name?!! Don’t wish to sound negative but it already feels like our season is (barring a miracle) over given the small squad size and we will probably fluctuate between 10/18th place, or thereabouts. The Bears will be in a relegation battle which is amazing given where they were a couple of years back. The ladies I think will be totally outclassed and relegated with a couple of double-digit losses. If the aforementioned does happen let’s hope it puts more pressure on the Lansdowns to sell up. 

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Cidre Monita said:

Anyone notice that the Bears got battered 75-0 yesterday in a competitive cup game. They have released a lot of players recently and looks like they are now operating under similar financial restrictions as us. Pat Lam mentioned that it’s the smallest squad he’s ever had to operate with. There seems to be a common theme here - I wonder who the benefactor of the Bears is? Can’t quite recall his name?!! Don’t wish to sound negative but it already feels like our season is (barring a miracle) over given the small squad size and we will probably fluctuate between 10/18th place, or thereabouts. The Bears will be in a relegation battle which is amazing given where they were a couple of years back. The ladies I think will be totally outclassed and relegated with a couple of double-digit losses. If the aforementioned does happen let’s hope it puts more pressure on the Lansdowns to sell up. 

For context was Bears youth vs an almost full strength Exeter. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Cidre Monita said:

Read the article, pal. They had a couple of first teamers playing, that’s all. Any other comments on the shit show that is Bristol Sport under Lansdown? How do you foresee the upcoming season for the 3 teams mentioned? 

Given the clubs they are up against in the WSL, it's hardly surprising the ladies will struggle. Frankly, it's a pretty good achievement they are there; at least they're in the top flight! What we would give to have the mens team up there...

Salary cap has reduced in rugby so SL will be putting less in, and hence why the top earners have had to leave. I assume he'll still be funding the maximum he can within the salary cap though. Bears are struggling though and the wisdom in giving Lam a lengthy contract until 2028 maybe wasn't the best decision in hindsight. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

• Admin
15 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Weird then that new owners have been found by the likes of Coventry, Derby, Huddersfield, Ipswich & Sheffield United in very recent times.

Sort of understand the latter with Prem money but hard to avoid the conclusion SL is either asking too high a price or doesn’t want to relinquish control because we are no less attractive than the other 4, arguably more so than a couple of these.

How many of those clubs wanted the new owners to come up with the funds for loss-making rugby & basketball teams and a couple of construction projects though?

15 hours ago, Superjack said:

My take is that nobody is asking him to do that. 

All we are asking him to do is release a little leeway for a manager that has carried out his brief admirably without any apparent appreciation or praise. 

Not a fortune. Just a little fraction of what this manager has enabled him to recoup.

I just wanted us to sign a couple more to match how many we had in what was described as a "small squad" last season.

3 hours ago, Son of Fred said:

How successful will that be when the siege mentality is directed against the players' employer though? Come on lads, let's really show him and get him the riches of promotion on the cheap.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, JAWS said:

Think REDOXO is very close to the truth.

An obscenely wealthy bloke who is massaging his ego & can't let go. I think he's made any invites for bids so unattractive (though doubt he can see it) that no one has come forward.

He probably wants to either maintain overall control or insert a clause that he still has a major say.

I think that SL wants the best for all his teams (on his own terms) and the best for the City and area where he made his fortune. 

But the one obvious thing for me is the title. I think few would begrudge him Sir Steve for what he’s done in Bristol and his current work in Botswana, a commonwealth country, I suspect a title is becoming quite a factor in his life and I see it as inevitable!!

Mistakes at City in the last twenty years have been made, of that there is no doubt, but we have always been that club. Over 60 years it took for 4 lousy years in the top division now another 43 years with nothing. 

I agree entirely he may have terms that keeps the connection and puts buyers off, for now. Something that may alter slightly based upon an honours list one day. 

1 hour ago, Cidre Monita said:

Read the article, pal. They had a couple of first teamers playing, that’s all. Any other comments on the shit show that is Bristol Sport under Lansdown? How do you foresee the upcoming season for the 3 teams mentioned? 

Bears will be fine. Got some good players and play good rugby. 

Ladies no clue. 
City will be mid table. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ian M said:

How many of those clubs wanted the new owners to come up with the funds for loss-making rugby & basketball teams and a couple of construction projects though?

I just wanted us to sign a couple more to match how many we had in what was described as a "small squad" last season.

How successful will that be when the siege mentality is directed against the players' employer though? Come on lads, let's really show him and get him the riches of promotion on the cheap.

Your last point is a good one BUT what other choice do the staff have? “The budget is the budget”, “what football makes football earns, oh **** it scrub that, let’s build a nest egg for the next Manager”. The only other choice is to throw in the towel and I think Nige and his staff are too professional to do that AND to create that us and them mentality is the only way to keep the fans off your back tbh.

I can think of many lesser Managers (one just up the road for a start) who would be proclaiming “how do you expect me to work under these restrictions” etc etc. who would have literally told Steve, Jon and Phil where to shove it.

Edited by Numero Uno

8 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Yes, totally. Plus it could unsettle the players, coaches etc.

That spirit you mention is so very important…it has a 2015 back in the championship vibe about it. That loss of momentum then was catastrophic, and could happen again now…

And this is something people need to remember every time we sell one of our young stars.  

In the event of a Prem club coming in for one of our rising young stars, how can we hope to persuade them to stay with us, when we show such a lack of true ambition to reach that level ourselves.

Talk is cheap, but his actions over many years indicate to me that SL is frightened of the thought of the Premier League and has no intention or ambition for us to get there under his watch.

I reckon his ambition ceiling is the Championship, where fans can always dream that the Prem is only one great season away.  We get played like a fish on a hook, with the odd throwaway comment about our ambition for promotion and we swallow it hook, line and sinker and ST sales continue holding up.  This summer has been particularly blatant and somewhat cynical and leaves a bad taste.

Sadly, believing ‘spin’ is an area where we’re uncomfortably close to the Sags by accepting bs all to readily.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

And this is something people need to remember every time we sell one of our young stars.  

In the event of a Prem club coming in for one of our rising young stars, how can we hope to persuade them to stay with us, when we show such a lack of true ambition to reach that level ourselves.

Talk is cheap, but his actions over many years indicate to me that SL is frightened of the thought of the Premier League and has no intention or ambition for us to get there under his watch.

I reckon his ambition ceiling is the Championship, where fans can always dream that the Prem is only one great season away.  We get played like a fish on a hook, with the odd throwaway comment about our ambition for promotion and we swallow it hook, line and sinker and ST sales continue holding up.  This summer has been particularly blatant and somewhat cynical and leaves a bad taste.

Sadly, believing ‘spin’ is an area where we’re uncomfortably close to the Sags by accepting bs all to readily.

Why though? Can't you look at the squad YOURSELF and make your own mind up on whether we have a chance of being in the mix or not? I can only speak for myself and say that if my reasoning for buying a season ticket was to watch us get promoted to the Premiership I would have knocked it on the head some time ago. I buy mine because I enjoy going to football not because I listen to anything that comes out of Steve Lansdown's mouth and froth at the mouth like some Rabid Gashead. Anyone who has yet to understand he has a very limited knowledge of football as in the game itself must have been in hiding for the last twenty plus years........

Edited by Numero Uno
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Why though? Can't you look at the squad YOURSELF and make your own mind up on whether we have a chance of being in the mix or not? I can only speak for myself and say that if my reasoning for buying a season ticket was to watch us get promoted to the Premiership I would have knocked it on the head some time ago. I buy mine because I enjoy going to football not because I listen to anything that comes out of Steve Lansdown's mouth and froth at the mouth like some Rabid Gashead. Anyone who has yet to understand he has a very limited knowledge of football as in the game itself must have been in hiding for the last twenty plus years........

This is the point though.  Of course we can look at the squad and realise we’re short.  That’s why I think there’s a serious lack of belief or real optimism within the fanbase, especially ones of a mature age.  

I haven’t especially enjoyed going to the Gate for some time, but keep renewing each year anyway, out of loyalty to the club.  I’m certainly not doing that in the expectation we’ll be going up, and would actually be totally shocked if we did.  

There are plenty on here who go on about Steve saying this and Steve saying that though, so they are obviously believing that whatever he says, he must mean it and be ‘telling it as it is’.  He just needs to say he ultimately wants promotion and there will be plenty who will take him as his word.  I’m personally well past taking any notice of that sort of guff now.

It just feels a bit sad and slightly depressing when your lifelong club appear to have zero ambition to progress.  I suspect that lack of  aspiration and drive also contributes to the flat matchday atmosphere people constantly bang on about on here!

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, BrizzleRed said:

This is the point though.  Of course we can look at the squad and realise we’re short.  That’s why I think there’s a serious lack of belief or real optimism within the fanbase, especially ones of a mature age.  

I haven’t especially enjoyed going to the Gate for some time, but keep renewing each year anyway, out of loyalty to the club.  I’m certainly not doing that in the expectation we’ll be going up, and would actually be totally shocked if we did.  

There are plenty on here who go on about Steve saying this and Steve saying that though, so they are obviously believing that whatever he says, he must mean it and be ‘telling it as it is’.  He just needs to say he ultimately wants promotion and there will be plenty who will take him as his word.  I’m personally well past taking any notice of that sort of guff now.

It just feels a bit sad and slightly depressing when your lifelong club appear to have zero ambition to progress.  I suspect that lack of  aspiration and drive also contributes to the flat matchday atmosphere people constantly bang on about on here!

There’s a big difference to listening to what your owner says and believing his aspirations.

There’s a big difference to listening to what your owner says and basing a decision to buy a season ticket on that.

I read very little on here of people being sucked in as you suggest.

I think most on here are just highlighting that he’s talking crap again, and in a lot of cases want him / can’t wait for him to sell-up.  I’m in that camp.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

There’s a big difference to listening to what your owner says and believing his aspirations.

There’s a big difference to listening to what your owner says and basing a decision to buy a season ticket on that.

I read very little on here of people being sucked in as you suggest.

I think most on here are just highlighting that he’s talking crap again, and in a lot of cases want him / can’t wait for him to sell-up.  I’m in that camp.

Maybe I’m overestimating the SL fanbase on here then Dave.  I’m well aware there are plenty who’ll question him, but there also seem to be a fair number who’ll spout the ‘look at everything he’s done for us’, ‘we wouldn’t have a club without SL’ and ‘be careful what you wish for’ line, when anyone mentions any desire for new ownership.

For the record, I’m firmly in the same camp as you and think we’ve gone totally stale under his ownership.  Imho, if he doesn’t sell up soon, I fear we’ll begin a steady slide backwards, especially if he’s decided he no longer wants to fund the club.  

As we all know, the Championship can be brutal if you take your eye off the ball, or get complacent.  SL has never been dynamic, so I’d love to see an injection of ambition and energy at the top, to help lift this club out of its self-imposed stagnation.   Oh for some belief that this club is genuinely striving for some success, rather than just pretending.

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

Maybe I’m overestimating the SL fanbase on here then Dave.  I’m well aware there are plenty who’ll question him, but there also seem to be a fair number who’ll spout the ‘look at everything he’s done for us’, ‘we wouldn’t have a club without SL’ and ‘be careful what you wish for’ line, when anyone mentions any desire for new ownership.

For the record, I’m firmly in the same camp as you and think we’ve gone totally stale under his ownership.  Imho, if he doesn’t sell up soon, I fear we’ll begin a steady slide backwards, especially if he’s decided he no longer wants to fund the club.  

As we all know, the Championship can be brutal if you take your eye off the ball, or get complacent.  SL has never been dynamic, so I’d love to see an injection of ambition and energy at the top, to help lift this club out of its self-imposed stagnation.   Oh for some belief that this club is genuinely striving for some success, rather than just pretending.

Oh, totally BR…I agree.

I just don’t think they buy their season ticket based on it per se.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BrizzleRed said:

Yes it has made me sad.

I wonder if SL still believes it himself, deep down. #AlwaysBelieve. ?

• Like 1