IGNORED

Team for Saturday

MrRedRobin

3 minutes ago, MrRedRobin said:

What is everyone's team? Would be nice to see Yeboah from the start, think he deserves it. 

He’s far too raw & inexperienced to start.

Fair play to the kid, he gave their defenders a few issues but he was only 17 recently & he’s nowhere near ready to play 90 minutes yet.

There are about 8 who are certs to play & Gardiner-Hickman will certainly come into contention.

Personally I’d persevere with Naismith at CB, he’s left footed & has looked comfortable there but not too many decisions to make, possibly the RB & Vyner or Dickie if Kal does play at the back.

• Like 2

For me

O’Leary 

Tanner    Vyner    Naismith   Pring

James

TGH   Knight

Sykes                            Bell

Cornick

I’d like to see what TGH has to offer to our midfield. From reviews he’s energetic, not afraid to shoot and can operate as a number 8 so beside Knight could offer us some real energy with James given them a licence.

I’m purely starting Bell over lack of other options and feel if Mehmeti was in any type of form he’d get the nod here. But Bell wasn’t too bad vs these lot in the cup last year…

A punt with Cornick through the middle, why not at this point… he looked better for it when he came on vs Hull.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

He’s far too raw & inexperienced to start.

Fair play to the kid, he gave their defenders a few issues but he was only 17 recently & he’s nowhere near ready to play 90 minutes yet.

There are about 8 who are certs to play & Gardiner-Hickman will certainly come into contention.

Personally I’d persevere with Naismith at CB, he’s left footed & has looked comfortable there but not too many decisions to make, possibly the RB & Vyner or Dickie if Kal does play at the back.

Will be interesting to see what he does with Dickie, Vyner and Naismith.

I think TGH will start at RB over Tanner.

I don’t see Nige deviating from his front three system, and I think generally Dickie and Vyner have looked solid as a pair….so I would quite like to see Naismith in midfield with James and Knight.  Would be harsh on Williams, but squad game.  I think Kal would take some pressure off of Vyner and Dickie’s passing.

In a slight aside, James came on and played as an 8 last night (King stayed as the DM) and he looked quite comfy being a bit further forward.  Not saying he’ll play their Saturday, but if Naismith were to drop in to receive the ball from the back, no reason James couldn’t take up positions further forward.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I don’t see Nige deviating from his front three system, and I think generally Dickie and Vyner have looked solid as a pair….so I would quite like to see Naismith in midfield with James and Knight.  Would be harsh on Williams, but squad game.  I think Kal would take some pressure off of Vyner and Dickie’s passing.

In a slight aside, James came on and played as an 8 last night (King stayed as the DM) and he looked quite comfy being a bit further forward.  Not saying he’ll play their Saturday, but if Naismith were to drop in to receive the ball from the back, no reason James couldn’t take up positions further forward.

Agree with that, but I do have reservations about TGH playing right back. How natural is he in that position? I recognise that Tanner's out of form, but at least he has the instincts for the position. 

• Thanks 1

O’Leary 

TGH   Vyner  Dickie  Pring

James  Naismith

Knight

Sykes  Wells   Bell

• Like 12
  • Flames 2

I feel that both Bell and Mehmeti have demonstrated that they’re not up to standard as the left attacking option. Both seem weak and lacking in end product. Consequently I’d play Hayden Roberts at left back and Cam Pring at left midfield. This would mean switching from 4-3-3 to 4-4-2 so I don’t think it will happen. Shame as Pring has pace, strength and can run at and beat defenders 

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

17 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Certainly is harsh on Williams.

Think he’s done well in the games I’ve seen, looks leaner to me & using the ball better than last season.

You could well be right about Gardiner-Hickman, after doing ok in the first half Tanner seemed to kick the ball off the pitch more often than he found a team mate in the second. He did ok at Hull against a tricky opponent in Twine but was really poor v Brum.

• Like 1

Again, I’d like to see 3-5-2 - and I don’t think we will - but if we did I’d go

O’Leary

Vyner-Dickie-Naismith

Sykes-Williams-James-Pring

Knight

Wells-Cornick

(NB - that front line I’m not 100% on but I’d like them to be able to bring people into the game)

I think we’ll stay 4-3-3. With doing that, I’d probably do something a touch controversial and play:

O’Leary

TGH - Vyner - Dickie - Roberts

Naismith-James-Knight

Sykes-Wells-Pring

I genuinely don’t think Bell or Mehmeti have done enough to warrant starts. Pring is nominally in the front 3 due to that but it’s very much an interchange between him and Roberts.

Either way, I think by default the following get in the side either way:

MO/ZV/RD/CP/MJ/KN/MS/JK/NW

Then it’s just who the other 2 are and how we set up

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, ollywhyte said:

For me

O’Leary 

Tanner    Vyner    Naismith   Pring

James

TGH   Knight

Sykes                            Bell

Cornick

I’d like to see what TGH has to offer to our midfield. From reviews he’s energetic, not afraid to shoot and can operate as a number 8 so beside Knight could offer us some real energy with James given them a licence.

I’m purely starting Bell over lack of other options and feel if Mehmeti was in any type of form he’d get the nod here. But Bell wasn’t too bad vs these lot in the cup last year…

A punt with Cornick through the middle, why not at this point… he looked better for it when he came on vs Hull.

There is no way on earth that Tanner deserves to play. He’s been poor in every game and is our current weakest link. Seems to have lost confidence. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

I feel that both Bell and Mehmeti have demonstrated that they’re not up to standard as the left attacking option. Both seem weak and lacking in end product. Consequently I’d play Hayden Roberts at left back and Cam Pring at left midfield. This would mean switching from 4-3-3 to 4-4-2 so I don’t think it will happen. Shame as Pring has pace, strength and can run at and beat defenders 

I really like this idea been thinking it myself. He definitely could play that position.

Problem is who partners Wells. I like the thought of Yeboah however it's alot to ask of a 17 year old. I know we have Bell and Cornick but I'm not sold yet but we need to put trust in one of them. Conway was such a big blow to our season.

25 minutes ago, eardun said:

O’Leary 

TGH   Vyner  Dickie  Pring

James  Naismith

Knight

Sykes  Wells   Bell

This for me

44 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Vyner's had a rest, Dickie had his the game before , so I see those two starting. 
Although I would like to keep his legs to come on as a finisher in MF, it would make sense to give him a start at RB, just to give Tanner a rest if nothing else. The other side Pring has the shirt for me.

MF is interesting, we could play (hated phrase) a double pivot and hope that would allow the FB's the get further up the pitch. More likely is , as you say, James steps further forward and we hope his control helps up further up the pitch. With Knights energy it could be a good mix.
Bell has done well against Swansea previously, really troubled them with his pace. I'd start him for his pace. I'd always start Sykes on the right and Wells through the middle is obvious. 
I agree again , harsh on Williams , but not a bad option from the bench and gives him a little rest. 

I think Yeboah is a way off a start, maybe FA Cup might be a sensible target . But until then he will get some decent minutes from the bench. 

O'Leary
JGH - Vyner - Dickie - Pring
                Naismith
        James -  Knight
     Sykes - Wells - Bell

The pace up front should be able to put pressure on the Swansea back line as they fanny about , sorry , pass endlessly , sorry , try and manoeuvre space by playing out from the back.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

There is no way on earth that Tanner deserves to play. He’s been poor in every game and is our current weakest link. Seems to have lost confidence. 

He hasn’t been.  He has been poor in some.

49 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Again, I’d like to see 3-5-2 - and I don’t think we will - but if we did I’d go

O’Leary

Vyner-Dickie-Naismith

Sykes-Williams-James-Pring

Knight

Wells-Cornick

(NB - that front line I’m not 100% on but I’d like them to be able to bring people into the game)

I think we’ll stay 4-3-3. With doing that, I’d probably do something a touch controversial and play:

O’Leary

Naismith-James-Knight

Sykes-Wells-Pring

I genuinely don’t think Bell or Mehmeti have done enough to warrant starts. Pring is nominally in the front 3 due to that but it’s very much an interchange between him and Roberts.

Either way, I think by default the following get in the side either way:

MO/ZV/RD/CP/MJ/KN/MS/JK/NW

Then it’s just who the other 2 are and how we set up

I kinda with you there, I like that.

1 hour ago, mozo said:

Agree with that, but I do have reservations about TGH playing right back. How natural is he in that position? I recognise that Tanner's out of form, but at least he has the instincts for the position. 

Did well when he came on and actually made a really nice forward pass which Tanner rarely does sadly. 

1 hour ago, mozo said:

I was always of the understanding he was more a right back than CM?

As per the West Brom website...

'Versatile right-sided player, who can play in both full-back roles, as a wide midfielder and in the middle'.

37 minutes ago, DaveF said:

I was always of the understanding he was more a right back than CM?

As per the West Brom website...

'Versatile right-sided player, who can play in both full-back roles, as a wide midfielder and in the middle'.

According to Transfermarkt he’s featured there 23 times in his career (right midfield 28 & centre/defensive midfield 19) which is certainly enough to say he’s not just filling in.

Edited by GrahamC

9 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Naismith-James-Knight

Sykes-Wells-Pring

Roberts definitely worth the start..

Naismith a must start when fit.

I'd love to see Pring advanced(if only ?) - can't be worse than what we've seen of late & could be a right pain in the arse for the fullback.

My only reservation is TGH at right fullback - reputedly not so assured there.......??

1 hour ago, Son of Fred said:

Roberts definitely worth the start..

Naismith a must start when fit.

I'd love to see Pring advanced(if only ?) - can't be worse than what we've seen of late & could be a right pain in the arse for the fullback.

My only reservation is TGH at right fullback - reputedly not so assured there.......??

Not sure I understand Roberts and Pring switch, Roberts has been at his best going forward and putting in crosses, having watched hin in defence against Norwich, Pring is much there, does not stop Cam getting forward and over lapping