IGNORED

England

E.G.Red

Dominant apart from 20 minutes where we decided to stop playing for some reason. Goal woke us up again and some good substitutions gave some late momentum. Thought Eze in particular looked really bright when he came on.

Maguire scoring that own goal will be a convenient distraction for the fact that it resulted from Scotland taking a quick goal kick and none of the front 6 showing any awareness or interest in what was happening. By the time they realised Scotland were already bearing down on our goal. Perfect illustration of how we'd switched off.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Maguire scoring that own goal will be a convenient distraction for the fact that it resulted from Scotland taking a quick goal kick and none of the front 6 showing any awareness or interest in what was happening. By the time they realised Scotland were already bearing down on our goal. Perfect illustration of how we'd switched off.

Exactly this. 
But I’d also point out that it wasn’t necessarily all down to the front players not reacting. 
Because of the stupid 2xDM system that we play, we did actually have both Rice & Phillips behind the ball and in our own half as they broke away. With 2xCB’s and Walker & Tripper also back too. 
The error comes from the 2 DM’s both ball watching and not cutting the passing lane to their AM and then Trippier not continuing the run with their midfielder who ends up crossing it. 
I’d also suggest that Ramsdale wasn’t going to reach that cross so I don’t know why he was coming out. If he stays then Maguires attempt to stop the cross just rolls nicely into the keepers hands. 

Maguire will get a load of shit for it, but there were 4 other errors that led to the goal. 

Edited by Harry
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, petehinton said:

What a ******* brilliant goal. Unbelievably well worked from a side with such a dull manager in charge making too many changes etc etc 

Yep. It’s great that he’s decided to play two of his most generationally talented players together. 
Nice to see him put his world class superstar Jude in the middle to be able to heavily influence the game. 
Nice to see him play super talented Foden and give him a role where he can express himself. 
Just a shame he played with 10 men, with an extra DM in Phillips being entirely unnecessary and actually getting in the way a number of times. 

26 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

For me. Gascoigne, Rooney and Charlton.

Presumably in reverse order. Between 1962-1970 Bobby Charlton was widely regarded across the globe as the greatest midfielder in the world and a gentleman. Rooney was a wunderkind and great scorer but generally regarded as low on IQ. Gascoigne had moments of brilliance, bordering on genius, but was otherwise a bigoted ****. 

1 minute ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Presumably in reverse order. Between 1962-1970 Bobby Charlton was widely regarded across the globe as the greatest midfielder in the world and a gentleman. Rooney was a wunderkind and great scorer but generally regarded as low on IQ. Gascoigne had moments of brilliance, bordering on genius, but was otherwise a bigoted ****. 

What’s that got to do with footballing ability. 
A gentleman. A low IQ and a bigot? 

The Pink Panther was a gentleman, a scholar and an acrobat, but I wouldn’t want him starting against France in a World Cup semi. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I didn't put them in order, I don't really have an order.

14 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Who do you think the thickest English Footballer of all time is? 

9 minutes ago, Harry said:

What’s that got to do with footballing ability. 
A gentleman. A low IQ and a bigot? 

The Pink Panther was a gentleman, a scholar and an acrobat, but I wouldn’t want him starting against France in a World Cup semi. 

Alright then, in footballing ability terms Charlton was a 10 who never lost his head, Rooney was a sometimes 8 but a 6 when he lost his head and Gascoigne a 7 but a 4 when he lost his head. 

20 minutes ago, Harry said:

Yep. It’s great that he’s decided to play two of his most generationally talented players together. 
Nice to see him put his world class superstar Jude in the middle to be able to heavily influence the game. 
Nice to see him play super talented Foden and give him a role where he can express himself. 
Just a shame he played with 10 men, with an extra DM in Phillips being entirely unnecessary and actually getting in the way a number of times. 

Not a fan of Phillips?