IGNORED

Jason Knight

E.G.Red

2 hours ago, WWred said:

One of the very few highlights of a poor window so far, looks a very good player!

Poor window?

Haydon Roberts on a free?  Rob Dickie?

Seeing as we haven’t seen McCrorie play & the West Brom lad has had barely 20 minutes I’m interested in how you are defining it as poor?

Are you referring to Scott leaving? Surely no one thought he would stay?

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, WWred said:

One of the very few highlights of a poor window so far, looks a very good player!

Why is it poor? City have signed 5 players this window  how many teams sign more than that each window. Roberts Dickie & Knight are all good players the injuries to Mccrorie and Conway plus the sale of Scott (which  was inevitable so why the meltdown) has grossly distorted  the view on this window as only a few weeks ago most people were very happy with the transfer business done up to that point.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Poor window?

Haydon Roberts on a free?  Rob Dickie?

Seeing as we haven’t seen McCrorie play & the West Brom lad has had barely 20 minutes I’m interested in how you are defining it as poor?

Are you referring to Scott leaving? Surely no one thought he would stay?

Are we all feeling more or less optimistic after this window?

im not disputing some of the buys are sound but in the grand scheme of things we look thinner and weaker as a squad

Edited by WWred

1 minute ago, WWred said:

I’m sorry are we all feeling more or less optimistic after this window?!

im not disputing some of the buys are sound but in the grand scheme of things we look thinner and weaker as a squad

Don't agree with that.

We are weaker due to injuries, but aside from having some key players missing at the moment, on paper I would say this squad is stronger than last season.

That doesn't mean there aren't positions we can improve.

• Like 3
  • Hmmm 1

3 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Don't agree with that.

We are weaker due to injuries, but aside from having some key players missing at the moment, on paper I would say this squad is stronger than last season.

I suppose lots of us had a forlorn hope that it was going to be a lot stronger than last season, but that isn't the case. Your last line acknowledges that. 

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

image.png.42643bb8066792c44ebc59e740e6f140.png 

as at 10pm 

The beauty of having a good academy and a Manager prepared to use the players from it, eh Dave?

Of course we could sign 4 more players by midnight, then none of them would get a look in until we draw Yeovil in the F A Cup. Plus all the potential future Academy players who come because "they get a chance at City" will look elsewhere and the conveyor belt begins to empty.......

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, WWred said:

Are we all feeling more or less optimistic after this window?

I suppose Scott going makes us weaker in terms of our quality.

I’m not sure we are any thinner though, of those who have moved on only him & Dasilva were regular squad members last season, Kalas wasn’t, Baker had already retired & Taylor Moore was out on yet another loan.

If you see Haydon Roberts as cancelling out the loss of Dasilva then I’d argue Dickie & Knight strengthen us, obviously McCrorie hasn’t added to us for unfortunate reasons & far too early to say about Gardiner-Hickman.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Bristol Rob said:

With everyone fit, I think we are stronger than last season.

Can't deny that if we had all our defensive players fit, we'd be more solid there. The loss of Alex Scott, an outstanding talent, in midfield, has scarce been addressed though.  I didn't expect a like-for-like replacement, but our linking play in the games I've seen has been very poor.  

Just now, Red-Robbo said:

Can't deny that if we had all our defensive players fit, we'd be more solid there. The loss of Alex Scott, an outstanding talent, in midfield, has scarce been addressed though.  I didn't expect a like-for-like replacement, but our linking play in the games I've seen has been very poor.  

Just to play devils advocate...

How has Scott done since joining Bournemouth?

Reality is, if we had kept him, he wouldn't be playing.

https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/sport/23746820.tyler-adams-alex-scott-afc-bournemouth-injury-updates/

Which would have then meant selling him in January, having had limited minutes on the pitch this season which would have impacted the sale price.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Just to play devils advocate...

How has Scott done since joining Bournemouth?

Reality is, if we had kept him, he wouldn't be playing.

https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/sport/23746820.tyler-adams-alex-scott-afc-bournemouth-injury-updates/

Which would have then meant selling him in January, having had limited minutes on the pitch this season which would have impacted the sale price.

Oh, I always knew he'd go. Local friends were holding out hopes he'd still be here when the window shut, but not me. Just hoped we'd be able to spend more of the booty. 

Just now, Red-Robbo said:

Oh, I always knew he'd go. Local friends were holding out hopes he'd still be here when the window shut, but not me. Just hoped we'd be able to spend more of the booty. 

And that is where it all goes wrong!

If we had kept him, and he was (for example) out until Christmas and then in January were only able to get £15mil for him, we would be in a worse position than selling him when we did, getting £25mil and not putting some money towards further squad improvements.

35 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Don't agree with that.

My takeaway from Nige’s interview yesterday:

image.thumb.jpeg.be9c81565a851f138d8cd2b868f3a345.jpeg

So I tend to agree, bar the injuries we have a much more even ability squad through the recruitment, but the negative is we don’t have our magic fairy dust anymore (Alex or Antoine).

24 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

So I tend to agree, bar the injuries we have a much more even ability squad through the recruitment, but the negative is we don’t have our magic fairy dust anymore (Alex or Antoine).

Probably one for next week when the dust has settled & we then don’t have a game for a fortnight, but in midweek we rested the following 5 from the start;

Vyner, Pring, James, Knight & Bell.

Arguably with the exception of King all 4 of those who started instead (Roberts, Dickie, Mehmeti & Cornick) are broadly of similar standard & tomorrow we will have Gardiner-Hickman available, too.

That’s effectively what we are running with now, plus Weimann who will hopefully be back after the international break.

It is in my opinion still two too few in terms of numbers but his comment about the gap in quality being much narrower than before is spot on.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

One comment I noticed was Nige referred back to previous statements about how we'll need to keep players fit for a successful season. He's sort of managing expectations a bit.

He's right that for a promotion you need luck with injuries and I'd argue you need luck on the pitch and a lethal goalscorer and/or player with magic fairy dust (think Grealish at Villa, Taraabt at QPR etc etc).

Losing players to injury is a bad start, but to not have our most likely candidate for goals and silky Scott leaving, it feels like we'll need a lot of rub of the green and an immensely cohesive unit to have a positive season now.

Edited by mozo
  • Like 1