IGNORED

Bristol ww2 rubble!

Portland Bill

22 hours ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

Mark Felton is always a good watch.

He is indeed. Even his homage to the greatest war film ever made is good. What do you mean Where Eagles Dare isn't true? Dont let fact get in the way!

I'm particularly enjoying his current mini-series on the deaths of Mr and Mrs Hitler and the evidence to suggest it might not have been their bodies that were burned. Will Mark reveal that Hitler did indeed move to Argentina (or maybe not as the history books tell us)?

On 02/09/2023 at 09:46, Portland Bill said:

Thought this may interest some of you.

Thanks PB for this thread. If I ever get a chance to visit NYC again, my mission will be to track down the plaque! 

I know there are other City fans living in NYC. Perhaps they could find out if the plaque is still there?

On 02/09/2023 at 09:46, Portland Bill said:

Thought this may interest some of you.

Very interesting. Shame he repeats the canard of Bristol growing rich as a port on the basis of the Slave Trade.  Bristol was England's second largest port from late Medieval times onwards (overtaking Hull and Kings Lynne), and its period as Britain's pre-eminent Slave port lasted from about 1720 (when it overtook London) to circa 1750 (when Liverpool overtook it).  It was earlier wine importing and textile import and export that fueled Bristol's growth: as its many remaining Medieval, Tudor and Jacobean churches and buildings can attest. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Very interesting. Shame he repeats the canard of Bristol growing rich as a port on the basis of the Slave Trade.  Bristol was England's second largest port from late Medieval times onwards (overtaking Hull and Kings Lynne), and its period as Britain's pre-eminent Slave port lasted from about 1720 (when it overtook London) to circa 1750 (when Liverpool overtook it).  It was earlier wine importing and textile import and export that fueled Bristol's growth: as its many remaining Medieval, Tudor and Jacobean churches and buildings can attest. 

Yes, when the slave trade is brought up it's convenient to forget London and Liverpool and pile the blame on Bristol. Do many people realise how many 18th century mansions and civic buildings around the country were almost certainly paid for out of the slave trade?

Just now, Midred said:

Yes, when the slave trade is brought up it's convenient to forget London and Liverpool and pile the blame on Bristol. Do many people realise how many 18th century mansions and civic buildings around the country were almost certainly paid for out of the slave trade?

Yep. Even Colston was based in London throughout his working life. In his day, Royal African Company ships were harboured exclusively in the capital. He just happens to have been born in Bristol, and, having no heirs, left his fortune to endow various charities in his birthplace. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 03/09/2023 at 14:14, Norn Iron said:

Thanks PB for this thread. If I ever get a chance to visit NYC again, my mission will be to track down the plaque! 

I know there are other City fans living in NYC. Perhaps they could find out if the plaque is still there?

Yes, it’s still there. I saw it a few years ago. There is a “twin” plaque in the Centre, on one of the concrete benches,  opposite the Bristol Hippodrome too.

• Thanks 1