IGNORED

70+ points?

The Bard

For all our panic/negativity etc, we have 8 points from 5 games.  1.6 points per game.  Extrapolate that to 46 games and you have 73.6 points which is either in or very close to the play offs.

When you consider we've lost our best player, have significant players out etc, it's hardly a disaster is it?  

We've had 2 poor performances IMO, one of which was a cup game.  We were definitely the better side v Hull and Preston as well and could have stolen a point at home to Birmingham.  In other words we are highly competitive.

Perhaps a few of us need to chill the **** out?  

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

Hard to use that statistic after 5 games really. We've not played any of the sides that you would expect to be there at the end of the season in the relegated prem teams. You could also say we've only picked up 1 point from a possible 6 at home averaging out at 23 points over a season - relegation numbers. 
I do get the overall point you are making, it's a good number of points on the board from the first 5 games and it's not all doom and gloom

4 minutes ago, The Bard said:

For all our panic/negativity etc, we have 8 points from 5 games.  1.6 points per game.  Extrapolate that to 46 games and you have 73.6 points which is either in or very close to the play offs.

When you consider we've lost our best player, have significant players out etc, it's hardly a disaster is it?  

We've had 2 poor performances IMO, one of which was a cup game.  We were definitely the better side v Hull and Preston as well and could have stolen a point at home to Birmingham.  In other words we are highly competitive.

Finished with chill the **** out,someone does 

1 minute ago, Dredd said:

Hard to use that statistic after 5 games really. We've not played any of the sides that you would expect to be there at the end of the season in the relegated prem teams. You could also say we've only picked up 1 point from a possible 6 at home averaging out at 23 points over a season - relegation numbers. 
I do get the overall point you are making, it's a good number of points on the board from the first 5 games and it's not all doom and gloom

It's not hard at all.  You take 8 points, divide it by 5 and multiply by 46...

Another  statistic I like that shows whether we are better or worse than before is comparative results.  This season we are a point better off.  5 less points at home but 6 more points away from the equivalent fixtures.  If we get ourselves on target for 70+ points after say 10 to 12 games that is a very good trend IMO.  17 points off 10 games means 3 wins and 2 losses or 2 wins and 3 draws from our next 5 games.  It's really not that difficult.  Some perspective is needed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, robin_unreliant said:

Not disputing the main point but I don't agree that we were the better side against Preston. Thought we were lucky to get the draw tbh.

True, but then we are the only side to get anything out of Preston. After 5 games they have 4 wins and one draw.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, robin_unreliant said:

Not disputing the main point but I don't agree that we were the better side against Preston. Thought we were lucky to get the draw tbh.

We were 1.0 up till late on. A draw was fair.  I didn't see the Hull game but it sounded like we should have won comfortably.

14 minutes ago, The Bard said:

It's not hard at all.  You take 8 points, divide it by 5 and multiply by 46...

Another  statistic I like that shows whether we are better or worse than before is comparative results.  This season we are a point better off.  5 less points at home but 6 more points away from the equivalent fixtures.  If we get ourselves on target for 70+ points after say 10 to 12 games that is a very good trend IMO.  17 points off 10 games means 3 wins and 2 losses or 2 wins and 3 draws from our next 5 games.  It's really not that difficult.  Some perspective is needed.

In our GJ play off season we had 17 points in the first 10 games, 17 in the second 10 and 17 in the third 10.

I don’t think we quite got 17 in the fourth 10, can’t remember exactly. But anyway that was a good springboard for a playoff place

• Like 1

• Admin
36 minutes ago, The Bard said:

We are currently not naming full matchday squads due to the number of injuries we have, most of them fairly long term. We are now left needing to not suffer any more injuries (or suspensions) for the next 2-3 months.

Full strength we would be absolutely fine.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

In our GJ play off season we had 17 points in the first 10 games, 17 in the second 10 and 17 in the third 10.

I don’t think we quite got 17 in the fourth 10, can’t remember exactly. But anyway that was a good springboard for a playoff place

GJ had a thing about blocks of 10 games if memory serves me 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, The Bard said:

It’s not a bad start I agree.

But it also doesn’t make it any less true to observe that our squad is small, with limitations, and that not reinvesting any of the Scott money in some quality signings to improve the team - having already cut the wage bill substantially - is a hugely disappointing decision by the club that quite rightly leaves us all questioning just what ambition the board has.

Imagine if we were sat here with 8 points from 5 games AND had just announced two quality additions this week? Then we really would have reason to be optimistic.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, The Bard said:

We were lucky to get a point against Preston , don’t know what game you watched. Worried about how easily were being shut down at home . Away , we’re playing some very good football 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Bard said:

We were definitely not the better side v Preston 

2 hours ago, The Bard said:

Are you Headhunter in disguise ? He loves a good extrapolation.

• Haha 1

The away performances have been great so far, but it only takes a few more injuries for things to nosedive. Despite the positive outcome today, I still think we’re a few players short of having a really positive season. We don’t have the depth to sustain these performances IMO and will need a lot of luck if we’re to get anywhere near 70+ points. 

2 hours ago, Dredd said:

Millwall and Preston are there or there abouts usually?

2 hours ago, Dredd said:

Brum, Hull, Preston can be top half table. Early days.

2 hours ago, The Bard said:

Look at the number of home wins over last 5 years, then look at home wins of teams that have finished in the play offs.  There is your problem.

• Like 1

We can be frustrated about the lack of investment and happy with the points return. You could argue the doom and gloomers (happy clappers antithesis) need to chill a bit, but Brum and Norwich (League Cup) were concerning.

My take heading into the first international break, after todays win, is: defence is the best it’s been in some years and we’re putting points on the board. So I’m optimistic. I also know we’re two more injuries from disaster. So I’m cautious. 

But for tonight, I’m 4 pints in, we’re 8th, and life is good.

Considering that 3 of the 5 teams we have played so far are currently in the top 6, that we are 8th, and we have only one League loss and there are only 2 unbeaten teams in the league (our first 2 home opponents) there is room for some optimism. However the home form is poor and frustrating, plus the squad is small and pretty thin, so agree that a couple more injuries in crucial positions and we could be in trouble.

• Like 2