IGNORED

Sam Bell

Dynamite Red

2 hours ago, Dynamite Red said:

Can't believe there is no post about Sam. Swansea could not live with him on the left.

Made countless chances and scored a great finish. Many of our fanbase seem to doubt him. I think we have a real talent on our hands. 

Thanks for your contribution to the Bell ringers society. Ding dong, ding dong!

13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

To save me retyping:

image.thumb.png.a517024da65f1b479090c3bdef1e5cc3.png

Just got back from watching the Equaliser ( Denzel Washington not Mark Sykes ) . I posted on another thread, or Twitter or somewhere. Bell's finish was good, and thoughtful, the miss the other week had obviously got him thinking. He went across the keeper, but lifted it a bit, right in the far corner. He was much better with his choices today too , still got caught cutting onto his right a few times, but really gave their right side a hard time.  I want to see his first again, I thought it was very close. 

• Hmmm 1

7 minutes ago, sinenomine said:

I have a vague recollection of Tinnion saying the same thing when he first broke into the side. 

He isn’t anywhere near Conway and is actually slightly older than TC for perspective. Tommy Conway can lead the line and ruffle defenders feathers. Bell is fine in a counter attacking side on one of the wings. Top finishers the both of them. Conway better movement through the middle imo. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Midred said:

Meeting the more physical back 4s or indeed any opposition can be seen two ways. 1. Yes he needs to work on his strength. 2 . Referees need to enforce the laws of the game. Some of our past opponents have been allowed to get away with so much by inept refereeing which can lead to injuries as we've found.

And when do we ever see referring that is it inept? 

6 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

This. The fanbase aren’t half wits and most of the criticism of Sam (which I’ve given) has come some way after the game and hasn’t been “he was shit” but has been about specific areas where he’s fallen short.

It’s a stone cold fact he played very well today (and as you say as part of a very good team performance) but it’s equally as true he’s been poor up to this point. The key is consistency, of sustained form. Nobodys happier than me (well maybe Mickey) when Sam plays as he did today but just as if Matty James has one poor game he’s not a bad player, for Sam to have an 8-9/10 game as he did today means nothing if he reverts to the 5/10 performances we’ve seen this season.

And I’m confident Nige will be giving a similar message.

Yep Bell has had a couple of good games out of 5 now, and that's probably what we should expect from a young lad learning his craft. I really hope he can find consistency and have a big breakthrough season.

Obvs another thread where the usual scoffers use his good game as scoff material. I'm sure we're all loving how he played today.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Bell and Conway are also different types of players. I wouldn't play Bell through the middle, central for one.

They are Mr P but I am sure Bell could be a real handful playing in a 2 (With the right partner) if we ever went that way

Someone who he could play around , off , and either side off - A prime Chris Martin would have been a great partner

Massive fan of Tommy and I see no reason why they can’t be a pair in the future - Tommy likes to roam too , so their understanding and movement in relation to each other would be important

They've spent enough hours on the pitch together through age groups that it definitely has potential , if we ever wanted to.

With regards to Tommy especially , and Sam potentially - I always thought we were better off losing Scott , how magnificent and a joy he was , than , particularly Tommy

A higher ceiling probably , but Im not sure Scott could spring us to a unexpected level , playing where he does (He could certainly have helped massively) , whereas a goal scorer , on a hot run , can literally fire an average side into POs or even automatic.

Expensive commodities and difficult for a clubs like us to find - to have two pushing through is wonderful.

I still can’t think of a home grown forward for this level or above , that we’ve produced since Kevin Mabbutt !

It really is a delight to see our own produced players coming through , and I’ve always felt it’s unsurprising that home grown players tend to have a bit more in them to give to the Club.

Id be very pleased to see TC with an extended contract.

• Like 7

16 hours ago, BCFC31 said:

His performance just shows he is an out and out winger I really don't want to see him upfront against it just doesn't get the best out of him what so ever.

This. 

He looked like the most threatening winger we have had for ages. 

Him on left and Sykes on right looks potent.

15 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

He isn’t anywhere near Conway and is actually slightly older than TC for perspective. Tommy Conway can lead the line and ruffle defenders feathers. Bell is fine in a counter attacking side on one of the wings. Top finishers the both of them. Conway better movement through the middle imo. 

I agree with you, but note that the comment was regarding his eventual ceiling not current level. 

2 hours ago, sinenomine said:

I agree with you, but note that the comment was regarding his eventual ceiling not current level. 

Yes but kind of what I am getting at. He is miles behind where Conway is despite being older. I have serious reservations about the level Sam Bell can reach. I don’t think he’ll ever be a top end championship player. He is now what I think he will always be. A useful player for a side who won’t have the ball much. 

• Confused 2

10 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Yes but kind of what I am getting at. He is miles behind where Conway is despite being older. I have serious reservations about the level Sam Bell can reach. I don’t think he’ll ever be a top end championship player. He is now what I think he will always be. A useful player for a side who won’t have the ball much. 

I'm pretty sure Sam is younger than Tommy Conway. His Birthday is right on the border of being a year (in school terms) younger than Tommy. He has basically bucked the trend by making it as a pro footballer despite being born in the 3rd Quarter of the year.

Edited by Numero Uno
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I'm pretty sure Sam is younger than Tommy Conway. His Birthday is right on the border of being a year (in school terms) younger than Tommy. He has basically bucked the trend by making it as a pro footballer despite being born in the 3rd Quarter of the year.

Sam is 3 months older, they are both 3rd quarter players, Sam being born in May and Tommy at the beginning of August 2002. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Bell May 2002

Conways August 2002

From wikipedia 

Doesn’t really matter much for how they’ll end up. Just perspective as Conway been a reliable championship striker for awhile now. Even when he broke through I thought his movement, finishing and composure was a different level. 

Probably not fair to compare them as different positions imo. Conway can play up front on his own at this level. Not sure Sam Bell will be able to. So he is a wide player for me and one who can’t beat a rb in a 1v1. Think it limits his potential. Maybe the staff see a Vardy type in him. There are some comparisons with the pace and finishing. That said Vardy had that shithouse and dark arts in him that I can’t see Sam Bell doing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Bell May 2002

Conways August 2002

From wikipedia 

Doesn’t really matter much for how they’ll end up. Just perspective as Conway been a reliable championship striker for awhile now. Even when he broke through I thought his movement, finishing and composure was a different level. 

Probably not fair to compare them as different positions imo. Conway can play up front on his own at this level. Not sure Sam Bell will be able to. So he is a wide player for me and one who can’t beat a rb in a 1v1. Think it limits his potential. Maybe the staff see a Vardy type in him. There are some comparisons with the pace and finishing. That said Vardy had that shithouse and dark arts in him that I can’t see Sam Bell doing. 

No better manager in place to teach him the Vardy dark arts.

You get the impression that the wants to learn and to be coached, I think it was commented that he went up to the HPC to work on the weights in the summer when he could have been larging it in Ibiza like his age group peers but with the added benefit of a footballer’s salary.

He’s a different player to Conway so direct comparisons other than age are not as useful. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bexhill reds said:

No better manager in place to teach him the Vardy dark arts.

You get the impression that the wants to learn and to be coached, I think it was commented that he went up to the HPC to work on the weights in the summer when he could have been larging it in Ibiza like his age group peers but with the added benefit of a footballer’s salary.

He’s a different player to Conway so direct comparisons other than age are not as useful. 

It is Conway the club see being like Vardy.

6 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

Serious reservations? That's a bit strong. 

He's already a starter for a club that finished mid table last season. 

You don't think that at 21 he won't improve and will just stay the same? 

Bell is a proper natural finisher. 

• Like 1