IGNORED

Sam Bell

Dynamite Red

1 minute ago, Dynamite Red said:

Can't believe there is no post about Sam. Swansea could not live with him on the left. Scored a great finish. Many of our fanbase seem to doubt him. I think we have a real talent on our hands. 

Many of our fan base are half wits that get ridiculously over the top way after the emotion of the game/loss is in the rear view mirror. 

He played very well at times today. Defenders are aware of his pace over thirty yards when he has the ball so doesn’t get behind as much, but his running off the ball is excellent and he deserved his tap in for getting himself there and in front of the cross. 

• Like 4

No doubt a fantastic game and great to see - as a lot of us have been saying for a while, play to his strengths and he is clearly a threat. A superb finish today. 

However - one swallow does not a summer bring...he seems to rely on the team as a whole being on top the game and controlling the ball in high positions to be most effective. When we're not, he struggles and can't influence the game. I think Swansea, as an opponent, perhaps suit his game, hence why he's done well vs. them.

The issue that will for me continue is when he meets a more physical back 4, he will just ushered out of the game again. 

But go prove me more, be more consistent and find a way to effect games when it's not going your way. 

• Like 5
  • Confused 1
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

It was an excellent and not so simple finish. I have written before he is a top finisher who I’m sure will improve with experience. 
Chuffed for him today, well deserved. 

Exactly this. His effort and attitude are exemplary. His delight when he scored and again when he came over the thank the fans after the game was worth the ticket price alone. He's one of our own, Sam Bell and long may it continue. He does seem to flourish with certain players around him though, Nakhi being one of them. 

For the record Micky was one of my most favourite players too, back in the day. How proud must he be.

• Like 5
  • Robin 1

38 minutes ago, Dynamite Red said:

Can't believe there is no post about Sam. Swansea could not live with him on the left.

Made countless chances and scored a great finish. Many of our fanbase seem to doubt him. I think we have a real talent on our hands. 

January beckons I fear 

37 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

No doubt a fantastic game and great to see - as a lot of us have been saying for a while, play to his strengths and he is clearly a threat. A superb finish today. 

However - one swallow does not a summer bring...he seems to rely on the team as a whole being on top the game and controlling the ball in high positions to be most effective. When we're not, he struggles and can't influence the game. I think Swansea, as an opponent, perhaps suit his game, hence why he's done well vs. them.

The issue that will for me continue is when he meets a more physical back 4, he will just ushered out of the game again. 

But go prove me more, be more consistent and find a way to effect games when it's not going your way. 

Meeting the more physical back 4s or indeed any opposition can be seen two ways. 1. Yes he needs to work on his strength. 2 . Referees need to enforce the laws of the game. Some of our past opponents have been allowed to get away with so much by inept refereeing which can lead to injuries as we've found.

Edited by Midred

4 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

No not yet, still too raw. Jan buys tend to be either panic buys or effective players, not and developers which Bell clearly is.

If he was fit I’d be more concerned about Conway in Jan than Bell

Thought it was reported that Bell was subject to some interest already though

• Like 1

Just now, BigTone said:

Thought it was reported that Bell was subject to some interest already though

I suspect he would have people keeping tabs on him, being a British player, having pace and a finish on him, but he’s not going to keep a struggling Prem team up or (not us) get a Championship team promoted, hence why I don’t think this Jan is a concern. If he does well for the rest of the season and gets into double figures I could see some interest in the summer.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bexhill reds said:

I suspect he would have people keeping tabs on him, being a British player, having pace and a finish on him, but he’s not going to keep a struggling Prem team up or (not us) get a Championship team promoted, hence why I don’t think this Jan is a concern. If he does well for the rest of the season and gets into double figures I could see some interest in the summer.

I dont share you perspective I must admit. If he performs he will be snapped up I'm sure. Hope you are correct though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dynamite Red said:

Can't believe there is no post about Sam. Swansea could not live with him on the left.

Made countless chances and scored a great finish. Many of our fanbase seem to doubt him. I think we have a real talent on our hands. 

And they took their rwb off at half time and then his replacement also struggled. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Alessandro said:

This. The fanbase aren’t half wits and most of the criticism of Sam (which I’ve given) has come some way after the game and hasn’t been “he was shit” but has been about specific areas where he’s fallen short.

It’s a stone cold fact he played very well today (and as you say as part of a very good team performance) but it’s equally as true he’s been poor up to this point. The key is consistency, of sustained form. Nobodys happier than me (well maybe Mickey) when Sam plays as he did today but just as if Matty James has one poor game he’s not a bad player, for Sam to have an 8-9/10 game as he did today means nothing if he reverts to the 5/10 performances we’ve seen this season.

And I’m confident Nige will be giving a similar message.

• Like 2

Think he’s done really well since the Swansea goal last season.

I don’t think his all round game is there at moment to play through the middle, but out on the left he’s a real threat. I’ve seen him taking some criticism for his performances this season before today, and I don’t think he’s been great, but even in them he’s scored one of our few goals, created our only real chance against Birmingham once he’d been moved out to the left, and had another real bit of quality against Hull that nobody got on the end off for a tap in.

There are still weaknesses in his game, and he still does have a couple of moments a game where he looks a bit too much like a kid in a man’s game, but he’s a threat and his pace and ability in front of goal makes him a real asset 

Also, and this isn’t really relevant, but he just seems the kind of lad that you really want to do well. Love him.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 1

1 hour ago, Alessandro said:

I’m not shooting you down by any means though is that not a definition of a winger/inside forward? If you’re on top of the game they’re brilliant, if you’re not you’re carrying them. 

• Like 1

He was really good today after an indifferent start to the season. Made his finish for the goal look much easier than it was.

I still think he’s more of a threat when he hasn’t (and sometimes even when we haven’t) got the ball than when he has it - his pace, his workrate and clever runs makes him a nightmare to play against.

If he can contribute more with the ball - and he has the ability to IMO - what a player he could be.

His ceiling may well be higher than Conway’s IMO, Tommy is just far more rounded as a player currently.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

It was an excellent and not so simple finish. I have written before he is a top finisher who I’m sure will improve with experience. 
Chuffed for him today, well deserved. 

Of course everyone sensible agrees. However if he would have missed it can you imagine the clamor for the bloke to be farmed out to Yeovil.