IGNORED

Forget new deals for players….get Nigel signed up now!

Shauntaylor85

18 minutes ago, paul_fox said:

Interesting about Curtis, I made a remark that I see him as our next manager ?

⬇️⬇️⬇️

13 minutes ago, Nugget said:

Yeah I thought the same, pretty good succession planning potentially if Nige maybe went upstairs to a different role or retired if he’s already being developed for it - likeable guy (plus we’re trying to sign Irish players ??!) . Like I say it was from someone that would know but they only said it briefly so I’ll try to find out more 

I think the ones with ambition to be in the hot seat is Jason Euell.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Yeah I think it's incredibly unlikely he'd have let SL know that now, if that indeed was his intention. 

Far more likely is SL wants to see us higher up the table before offering Nige a new deal. 

I don't understand the retirement talk. He isn't old for a football manager, or most other professions for that matter. 

Tellingly, he also has a very active agent who is still getting him interviews for the Guardian/Athletic etc this summer to keep his profile high. And who of course also came to his defence on twitter last season! 

That doesn't strike me as the actions of an agent/manager that know they're going to be exiting stage in a few months. 

Yeah, I think you and @GrahamC are probably right: as I said I was just playing devil’s advocate.

I do think that his health scares have had an impact on him and on his thinking though. He’s said as much himself. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

Third time lucky maybe…..but SLs record of ‘continuity’ appointments internally isn’t wonderful, is it? In fact, I’d probably argue that his external appointments have been better…and better than some on here give him credit for. (And I’m not looking to get into that who appointed who debate!)

Edited by italian dave

30 minutes ago, Nugget said:

SL backed Pearson when he was long term absent, he could have let him go. Heard a mumbling from someone close to the club that Curtis is doing most of the work currently, not sure how accurate or why so will try to dig a bit, maybe still a health thing. 

Nige did say in that interview in the Athletic a few weeks back that he's not as hands-on with coaching as he used to be, he prefers to observe and oversee.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Negan said:

I’m very much let him have this season and move on. Done a great job but think it’s better, providing the club get it right (if you trust them too) to have a fresh approach and a better style of play. He’s been here a while now and imo the football is still rather poor/boring. Deserves this season but I’d like to see someone else taking charge next season, but that’s just me 

The football we played yesterday was the best since the Cotts promotion team in my view. Exciting to watch and on the front foot, albeit Swansea were awful. 

22 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

I think it suits both parties to wait until end January.  Pearson won’t sign without investment and Lansdown won’t renew if we are bottom half in the table at that point.  

I think that's about it.

Nigel will have plenty of offers from other clubs if his contract isn't renewed and SL knows that he can pay enough to keep him here if he wants to do so. No rush.

As Neil Warnock said Bristol City is a very attractive prospect for a manager who wants to make his name by leading us into the Premiership, something he has said several times that he would like a crack at (along with saying similar about Sheff Weds and another club which I forget).

If there is the promise of a big spending budget for a genuine push next season then Nige will stay and our chances of success will be very good IMHO.

And of course far more money would be paid for an established Premiership club than for an established Championship club.

I really like NP and how he goes about managing and would love him to sign a new contract.

As ever it seems any thread can be used to bash SL without any real knowledge of what's going on behind closed doors.

It could be SL has not offered a new contract yet as he has all season to see how it pans out, it's not like a player where you loose valve by waiting.

Or its possible NP has indicated this will be his last season, so maybe a season of just steadily the ship, building a nest egg to attract a new manger with.

I like everyone else on here have no clue where the truth lies 

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

This is what I don’t get with SL. If he wants Pearson out for whatever reason (he’s not exactly praised the incredible job he has done for ‘his team’ - far from it) then why on earth would he want  one of his key backroom staff to take the job?  As much as I couldn’t stand Holden’s appointment I get it from Lansdown’s batshit pov - he didn’t really want LJ to go as so was very happy to have his backroom team carry on, but he doesn’t seem to like Pearson in any way so surely he wouldn’t want his team to carry on once he goes?  

2 hours ago, chinapig said:

Off the top of my head I would be bothered about:

1. Who Steve would appoint given his track record.

The Lansdowns appointed Pearson. People (currently) seem pretty happy with that one.

2. Whether a new manager comes in with his own entourage and Tinnion gets marginalised (as before) or forced out.

Perhaps. Who knows? What comes after might be better.

3. Whether there is another volte face in Steve's strategy.

Based on past history there almost certainly will be, but given what we know about our owner I'd argue that will happen whether Pearson is here or not.

4. Whether the culture change Nigel created will survive.

If it's a culture that solely depends on Pearson's presence for it's maintenance then I question how truly ingrained it is. And, as with 2 above, there may be a better culture under a different manager.

My responses above.

I'm not advocating for Pearson to be sacked btw, far from it. I don't think we will be promoted under him, but I don't want the upheaval of a mid-season sacking either. I'm just of the mind that if we change at the end of this season, it won't necessarily mean doom and gloom in 2024/25.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

Yea I pretty much agree. See Pearson as a stabiliser not someone that will progress the club. He done his job and kept us up. Think time to look for a more progressive manager. There is risk involved for sure but NP is a safe option for me. That said, madness not to get a couple more players in after selling Scott. He doesn’t deserve to be left out to dry. 

If he got us into 6th place at end of this season, would you still want to get "a more progressive" one?

He has dug us out of the massive puddle of brown stuff so deserves a chance to have a go to takes us back to the top tier for the first time in over forty years. That is if he wants to!

PS. Would you have replaced Alan Dicks in 1974?

Edited by cidered abroad
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, lenred said:

This is what I don’t get with SL. If he wants Pearson out for whatever reason (he’s not exactly praised the incredible job he has done for ‘his team’ - far from it) then why on earth would he want  one of his key backroom staff to take the job?  As much as I couldn’t stand Holden’s appointment I get it from Lansdown’s batshit pov - he didn’t really want LJ to go as so was very happy to have his backroom team carry on, but he doesn’t seem to like Pearson in any way so surely he wouldn’t want his team to carry on once he goes?  

I think your word 'batshit' is the nearest you'll get to an explanation of any sense.

4 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

The Lansdowns appointed Pearson. People (currently) seem pretty happy with that one.

True but that doesn't negate the various failures.

Perhaps. Who knows? What comes after might be better.

Might is the key would here. If the consensus is that it is working pretty well why take the risk when change equally might not work?

Based on past history there almost certainly will be, but given what we know about our owner I'd argue that will happen whether Pearson is here or not.

Agreed.

5 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

If it's a culture that solely depends on Pearson's presence for it's maintenance then I question how truly ingrained it is. And, as with 2 above, there may be a better culture under a different manager.

It's much easier to demotivate people than it is to motivate them. If a new man has very different values the culture can be quickly dismantled. I have vivid memories of working for an inspirational CEO who was followed by a positively vicious one. Morale and performance plummeted until she was quietly shown the door.

Culture has been a problem for the club for many of the years I have been a supporter. I don't see the need to risk regression.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Negan said:

I’m very much let him have this season and move on. Done a great job but think it’s better, providing the club get it right (if you trust them too) to have a fresh approach and a better style of play. He’s been here a while now and imo the football is still rather poor/boring. Deserves this season but I’d like to see someone else taking charge next season, but that’s just me 

Who would you suggest out of interest who is attainable?

34 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

If he got us into 6th place at end of this season, would you still want to get "a more progressive" one?

He has dug us out of the massive puddle of brown stuff so deserves a chance to have a go to takes us back to the top tier for the first time in over forty years. That is if he wants to!

PS. Would you have replaced Alan Dicks in 1974?

1974 way before my time ? 

Maybe progressive the wrong word. I want to see more energy and intensity at home. I want to see us able to break down sides that want to sit and catch us on the counter. At the minute it doesn’t feel like there is a plan to do that. If this plan doesn’t work, try the same with different players. NP doesn’t offer sides different looks. 

Is okay asking what if. I get it but is a massive what if. I think if he got this team top half it would be a hell of an achievement let alone top 6. Just not convinced he can do it. And also, if he did and it was still dreadful, I’d ask if it was sustainable. 

Also the massive hole thing I look at differently. I think he has undoubtedly changed the culture for the better. However, don’t think it was him selling players nor recruiting them(outside James King and Simpson). Any manager coming in would have had the same constraints. 

I don’t want to turn into an argument about what NP has meant during this time though. He has done a decent job I think. Think more so in the feel and culture around the club. Think he has been lacking in game day scenarios. So for me think that just means no rush to give him a new deal. However, we should have recruited another 2-3 for him to have at his disposal. 

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I think his ability to switch off from football allows great focus / objectivity when he is at the day job.

I do cringe a bit at the “my mind is in football 24/7” or “I’ve been sleeping in the office” type bravado.  Everyone needs to switch off.

Plus Nige “employs” people to help / assist.  It’s trusting too.  He has different “sorts” too, not yes men.  Who asks the head of medical his eleven for the next game?  He’s happy to hear different opinions.

Some wild conjecture there Dave. How can we say that Nige has a better balance than any other manager? 

2 hours ago, Nugget said:

SL backed Pearson when he was long term absent, he could have let him go. Heard a mumbling from someone close to the club that Curtis is doing most of the work currently, not sure how accurate or why so will try to dig a bit, maybe still a health thing. 

That's interesting. I'd like Curtis to get a go. He's fascinated by football, seriously motivated, and there's something about him that if he talks, you listen. 

I can’t think of a better manager we’ve had in the last 20 years (Outside of Cotts arguably). Having the seen it, been it, done it experience has help getting us out the wages / squad size issues he inherited, and he’s always been straight about the length of time it would take. 

He really seems to be a great man manager, knowing when to publicly bollock or arm around shoulders, look at the body language and how he looked after Baker when he had his pitch presentation. 

From a playing perspective I really think we are beginning to see the growth of a promotion pushing team, perhaps not this year but certainly within the next couple of seasons. The key will be keeping this squad together, you’d like to think that they’d all buy into the “project” but clearly external interest and Prem / Parachute money will talk.

Whether a grower ticks the boxes of a US / Saudi vanity project owner is a different topic, but assuming the Lansdowns want to see their project come to fruition especially with the additional AG development, then I can’t see a better option than what we have now.

• Like 4
  • Flames 2

5 hours ago, chinapig said:

Given Steve's obsession with Luton I'd be nervous if Nathan Jones is still available when the time comes.

Just started reading this thread and this is as far as I got. You just ruined my Sunday. Going to log off now, sit in the sun in the garden with a glass of wine, and try to eradicate that thought from my mind. And I'd been in such a good mood all weekend after yesterday's result, up until that point. Killjoy. 

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, CliftonCliff said:

Just started reading this thread and this is as far as I got. You just ruined my Sunday. Going to log off now, sit in the sun in the garden with a glass of wine, and try to eradicate that thought from my mind. And I'd been in such a good mood all weekend after yesterday's result, up until that point. Killjoy. 

Please accept my sincere apologies. I will go away and think about what I have done.?

• Thanks 1