IGNORED

Enjoying the good times !

Johnny Musicworks

I realise (impossible to ignore) the frustrations of many fans of late towards the club and the criticism of the owners ambitions. It was back in the 1960’s when I first became a Red. Attending a Bristol Derby for the first time when the Gas were top of Tier 3. We turned them over, went on a terrific run and were promoted that season. I was hooked.

Since that time I have experienced some brilliant highs and more than a few awful lows but in all 4 divisions I have learned to savour the good days. It is maybe why I sometimes fall into the Happy Clapper section. It’s frustrating as hell that we have never returned to the top flight despite massive investment/wasted millions but I also appreciate that only once before in my time have we enjoyed a longer spell in Tier 2. That particular spell ended with promotion to what is now the Premier League. 

I fully understand others frustrations about not reaching the Premier League and realise that I may not see us play top flight football again. It is though why I so appreciate a long period of consistency without relegation and seeing such massive improvements in the infrastructure of the club. I don’t have inside knowledge so can’t comment on what the Lansdowns have or have not done behind the scenes. I am just a fan of the club and see the current period as a success, not for trophy’s won but because we have been able to enjoy many seasons of Championship football in a modern stadium. That is something our local rivals would die for. Entering my 70’s recently I don’t doubt that new owners could improve our chances and I suspect that is coming soon, but purely from a selfish perspective I am thankful that where we are now is really not that bad !

Edited by Johnny Musicworks
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Robin 4

14 minutes ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

It was back in the 1960’s when I first became a Red. Attending a Bristol Derby for the first time when the Gas were top of Tier 3. We turned them over, went on a terrific run and were promoted that season. I was hooked.

That 64-65 season must have been a pleasure and entertaining to watch. P46 W24 D11 L11 F92 A55.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

I realise (impossible to ignore) the frustrations of many fans of late towards the club and the criticism of the owners ambitions. It was back in the 1960’s when I first became a Red. Attending a Bristol Derby for the first time when the Gas were top of Tier 3. We turned them over, went on a terrific run and were promoted that season. I was hooked.

Since that time I have experienced some brilliant highs and more than a few awful lows but in all 4 divisions I have learned to savour the good days. It is maybe why I sometimes fall into the Happy Clapper section. It’s frustrating as hell that we have never returned to the top flight despite massive investment/wasted millions but I also appreciate that only once before in my time have we enjoyed a longer spell in Tier 2. That particular spell ended with promotion to what is now the Premier League. 

I fully understand others frustrations about not reaching the Premier League and realise that I may not see us play top flight football again. It is though why I so appreciate a long period of consistency without relegation and seeing such massive improvements in the infrastructure of the club. I don’t have inside knowledge so can’t comment on what the Lansdowns have or have not done behind the scenes. I am just a fan of the club and see the current period as a success, not for trophy’s won but because we have been able to enjoy many seasons of Championship football in a modern stadium. That is something our local rivals would die for. Entering my 70’s recently I don’t doubt that new owners could improve our chances and I suspect that is coming soon, but purely from a selfish perspective I am thankful that where we are now is really not that bad !

Similar views to my own (started watching in 74). Stability in the second tier doesn’t happen that often for us so it is not to be sniffed at, and, as you say, last time we were this stable at this level we eventually achieved promotion so I can see the need to be patient. It took 11 seasons last time. For me, if it takes 11 seasons this time, I can live with that. Promotion in 2025-26, exactly 50 years since last time. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, eardun said:

Similar views to my own (started watching in 74). Stability in the second tier doesn’t happen that often for us so it is not to be sniffed at, and, as you say, last time we were this stable at this level we eventually achieved promotion so I can see the need to be patient. It took 11 seasons last time. For me, if it takes 11 seasons this time, I can live with that. Promotion in 2025-26, exactly 50 years since last time. 

Good post

- (Started going a few years before so similar timelines)

A competitive Championship Club with some semi regular Cup journeys (Massive shame for me that the Cups are looked on with such limited interest now, compared to most of my years) is as good as it gets and pretty appealing.

The Championship is a good standard , as good as the second level ever has been , with a host of big , well supported clubs and decent ties.

Like you I was fortunate enough to see us at the Top Table , and I can understand why those younger than me desperately want to get to the Prem., so I do want the a Club to continually look to progress and drive up

I just wish that the owners spoke differently , realising how difficult it actually is to get promoted from this level (Blimey m Surely they must do by now, though hearing SL I wonder ) , or even finish top 6 and , with the apparent new budget we’re ‘brave’ enough to be honest and say that we are going to look to gradually build but they were not unrealistic in their expectations and shut up about Luton or top 6 expectation

Some of are younger fans , and some impatient for Prem might not take that too well.

But I do believe the vast majority , those of a few years and , the sensible And realistic ones of all ages could get behind that

• Like 3

Yes although I don’t have an issue with us stating that we are aiming for top 6, and indeed Pearson said the same at his pre-Swansea press conference. It is possible with our current squad (especially if we keep performing like yesterday of course) - plus we may add in Jan - but what is crucial is that we don’t sack the manager if we don’t achieve it. So fine for it to be a public aim; but not for it to be absolute requirement. We should continue to build towards it. 

What I don’t understand is fans on here who have said ‘I bought my season ticket based on the statement from SL that we are going for top 6 and now I feel I was lied to’. That’s just a load of nonsense. No one can guarantee top 6, and quite why anyone would buy a City season ticket thinking it came with a top 6 guarantee is beyond me. 

• Like 5

I think the feeling of ennui around Ashton Gate is not so much based on "we probably won't go up the season" frustration, but more due to two poor home league performances (and a poor League Cup exit). Combined with not particularly exciting incomers - as a home match attender, I have yet to see the excellent Jason Knight who appears in away games, Cornick's hasn't clicked, Mehmeti seems worse than when he arrived, Gardiner-Hickman was hardly a name to conjure with - only Rob Dickie has looked good at AG; I just think lots of supporters were probably expecting more and better.  I don't need it explained yet again why we haven't signed more and better, but knowing we are skint doesn't make you feel better about the club. Combine that with some very downbeat Pearson pressers, an owner who clearly wants out, a silent board, and a few minor off-field annoyances (the e-ticket means I can no longer let an elderly friend without a smartphone attend the games I don't go to; doughnuts in the ******* concourse stall!) have made me feel a bit flat over attending AG.

Summer's finally arrived - in September; we're eighth and a decent home performance will lift the mood.

As people always say "Keep The Faith".   As City supporters we know it's (often) been a hell of a lot worse.  The project is still on course, but maybe negotiating the M6 roadworks at present rather than speeding down an empty autobahn.

• Robin 1

It's all about perspective and I think the longer you've followed the more likely you are to have a broader outlook on things.

I started in 85 so have seen us up and down between the 2nd and 3rd divisions a few times and trips to Wembley old and new, plus Cardiff in-between.

Would love to see us play top flight football one day but agree this period should not be taken for granted. We've spent far too many years in the league below for my liking.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1