IGNORED

Alex Neil

GrahamC

If you fancy a laugh have a look at his comments after Stoke’s 2-0 defeat at home to Preston.

Preston’s first goal was a penalty (I know, I know) and Neil is quoted as saying his players are adamant that it was a clear dive.

Preston winning a penalty, with a blatant dive, I know Alex, who could possibly have started them off being like that?

Despite the reaction on here afterwards we’re still the only team to get a point off them, by the way..

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

If you fancy a laugh have a look at his comments after Stoke’s 2-0 defeat at home to Preston.

Preston’s first goal was a penalty (I know, I know) and Neil is quoted as saying his players are adamant that it was a clear dive.

Preston winning a penalty, with a blatant dive, I know Alex, who could possibly have started them off being like that?

Despite the reaction on here afterwards we’re still the only team to get a point off them, by the way..

Did he complain about Preston's shithousery??

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

26 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Early days, but 3 of the teams we have played are in the top 6.  I think we’ve made a decent start to the season.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Firstly, I thought we were very fortunate to come away with a point.

Secondly, I'm not convinced that our lacklustre performance should be wholly credited to Preston's excellence. Pretty sure Nige agrees with me on that.

• Like 3
  • Hmmm 1

8 minutes ago, mozo said:

Secondly, I'm not convinced that our lacklustre performance should be wholly credited to Preston's excellence. Pretty sure Nige agrees with me on that.

On that basis if we take the majority of the blame for performing poorly at home to Preston we also get the majority of the credit for performing well yesterday rather than putting it down to Swansea's ineptness?!! It is interesting though that teams are struggling to deal with Preston atm.

Edited by Numero Uno
  • Like 8

Pesston are an interesting one. Their underlying numbers aren't necessarily underpinning their excellent start but they are still awkward and in certain ways decent.

The maps of how they were set up the 3-5-1-1 they used vs us on opening day seems not to have been replicated- more like 3-4-2-1, that slightly unusual and awkward shape seems like it was tailored a little vs us.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

On that basis if we take the majority of the blame for performing poorly at home to Preston we also get the majority of the credit for performing well yesterday rather than putting it down to Swansea's ineptness?!! It is interesting though that teams are struggling to deal with Preston atm.

That's my view, yes. I think we won against a poor Swansea team. It's important to beat the weaker sides so we did a good job. But it doesn't mean that City are suddenly a powerhouse.

Read what the Swansea manager said:

"I thought we were poor. I thought we were slow, we were pedestrian, with and without the ball, and we didn't do the basics well enough."

I agree!

Nige after Preston:

"They came with a plan to be difficult to break down and we didn't use the ball well enough.

"It was largely about whether we could get our full-backs forward and on the ball. For whatever reason, they were not involved in our attacking play enough."

I agree.

So, I'm not being negative. Nige and me are on the same wavelength here.

Edited by mozo
  • Like 3

Put Scott and Naismith in the 3 man midfield and Preston would have had some new issues.

I know that it is sadly hypothetical now but the range of passing of Naismith, plus the passing, dribbling, ability to win free kicks at very opportune times in both halves of the pitch would have caused Preston some issues.

Hindsight too but Sykes wide right when fit.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mozo said:

That's my view, yes. I think we won against a poor Swansea team. It's important to beat the weaker sides so we did a good job. But it doesn't mean that City are suddenly a powerhouse.

"I thought we were poor. I thought we were slow, we were pedestrian, with and without the ball, and we didn't do the basics well enough."

I agree!

Nige after Preston:

"They came with a plan to be difficult to break down and we didn't use the ball well enough.

"It was largely about whether we could get our full-backs forward and on the ball. For whatever reason, they were not involved in our attacking play enough."

I agree.

No, definitely not a powerhouse in this league. What I think we are is what our start to the season has indicated we are likely to be so far - comfortably able to beat weaker sides/those having an off-day, competitive against middling sides with a mix of results likely and flip a coin when we play the better sides. Whether we can be a top half team is down to beating enough of the middling sides at home and picking up a few points against some of the better sides now and again. Otherwise it's likely to be similar to the last couple of seasons but hopefully without a sustained poor spell where we start looking over our shoulders and many on here go beserk.

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Put Scott and Naismith in the 3 man midfield and Preston would have had some new issues.

I know that it is sadly hypothetical now but the range of passing of Naismith, plus the passing, dribbling, ability to win free kicks at very opportune times in both halves of the pitch would have caused Preston some issues.

If we use Naismith right I can see him making a difference this season.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

No, definitely not a powerhouse in this league. What I think we are is what our start to the season has indicated we are likely to be so far - comfortably able to beat weaker sides/those having an off-day, competitive against middling sides with a mix of results likely and flip a coin when we play the better sides. Whether we can be a top half team is down to beating enough of the middling sides at home and picking up a few points against some of the better sides now and again. Otherwise it's likely to be similar to the last couple of seasons but hopefully without a sustained poor spell where we start looking over our shoulders and many on here go beserk.

Yeah that's how I see it too bud. I'm not yet convinced we can finish in the top 8, but as I've said, too early to judge. Delighted to be 8th now though!

• Like 1

• Admin
1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

If we use Naismith right I can see him making a difference this season.

And keeping him fit. We have no one else of his vision.

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Glad we didn’t go for him. 

4 hours ago, mozo said:

I agree!

Nige after Preston:

I agree.

Got to agree.......Preston were solid and awkward, and difficult to break down,   but nothing special..............whereas Swansea were awful, and will do well to finish outside  the bottom six...IMO?          

4 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Pesston are an interesting one. Their underlying numbers aren't necessarily underpinning their excellent start but they are still awkward and in certain ways decent.

The maps of how they were set up the 3-5-1-1 they used vs us on opening day seems not to have been replicated- more like 3-4-2-1, that slightly unusual and awkward shape seems like it was tailored a little vs us.

What underlying numbers?

I called them (Brum) disruptive teams.

Here are a range of “underlying numbers” - taken before this weekend, The Analyst is yet to update:

image.thumb.png.35610cec19fad07e8cd29bf05dac788b.png

I’ve highlighted the ones where they are above average.

Very Strong defensively, strong without the ball.

okay open play attack, weak set pieces attack.

So, a tough side to play against, just like Brum…both sides only conceded 3 so far.  I bet their fans wish they had Russell Martin in charge….not.

More than one way to win football matches…especially on a budget! ?

1 hour ago, maxjak said:

Got to agree.......Preston were solid and awkward, and difficult to break down,   but nothing special..............whereas Swansea were awful, and will do well to finish outside  the bottom six...IMO?          

Preston were very Preston IMO, always were hard to play against. Nothing spectacular, but usually came up with goals against us however well we played. They disrupted us, did a real job and deserved their draw at least .
Swansea have been one of the most boring side for some time IMO. They have been a passing, possession side that doesn't carry a real threat, at least recently. They did create a couple of chances but would have been finished much earlier with a decent Ref. 
I think they will have enough to finish around midtable , but it could be a long season for them.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

What underlying numbers?

I called them (Brum) disruptive teams.

Here are a range of “underlying numbers” - taken before this weekend, The Analyst is yet to update:

image.thumb.png.35610cec19fad07e8cd29bf05dac788b.png

I’ve highlighted the ones where they are above average.

Very Strong defensively, strong without the ball.

okay open play attack, weak set pieces attack.

So, a tough side to play against, just like Brum…both sides only conceded 3 so far.  I bet their fans wish they had Russell Martin in charge….not.

More than one way to win football matches…especially on a budget! ?

Thanks Dave. I suppose some of mine were on a fairly basic level.

My best guess would be and forget possession even, tracking by shots to goals, perhaps adjusting out penalties and own goals, they don't look to be of a level that will sustain.

They should have an okay season, just nothing spectacular but time will tell.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Thanks Dave. I suppose some of mine were on a fairly basic level.

My best guess would be and forget possession even, tracking by shots to goals, perhaps adjusting out penalties and own goals, they don't look to be of a level that will sustain.

They should have an okay season, just nothing spectacular but time will tell.

I wasn’t saying you weren’t right, I was interested in what you were picking up. ??????

As you say attacking numbers look unsustainable, but in a perverse way their attack might improve too.  On the flip their excellent defensive numbers might dip too.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I wasn’t saying you weren’t right, I was interested in what you were picking up. ??????

As you say attacking numbers look unsustainable, but in a perverse way their attack might improve too.  On the flip their excellent defensive numbers might dip too.

Yeah I'm interested in yours too. Their defensive numbers do look impressive and there is still time for stats to swing.

West Brom are one who I think are outbatting their average. Either stats can swing, performances may dip or it may meet somewhere in the  middle.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Retaining Scott, now that would have been an idea….."………………..?

6 hours ago, mozo said:

Wouldn't disagree with that, but would also say Preston aren't a team you'd choose to play first game of the season. No disrespect to them, they're good at what they do but I don't think their style takes as much time to get up and running as many other teams.

Edited by Ron W

On 04/09/2023 at 12:49, Davefevs said:

Thanks Dave.

Had a quick skkmread and 3.9 xG non penalty goals yes it isn't the be all and  end all but over months, a year that looks difficult to sustain.

Their goals to date having checked manually and I won't bother with set pieces for now:

8 from Open Play

1 Penalty

1 Own Goal

I'm soon going to restart my mini project from last season relaxing to shors, goals (excluding own goals) and penalty ratio. We as we all know, are well below where we should be, the other BCFC get quite a few however- 2 already.

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Thanks Dave.

Had a quick skkmread and 3.9 xG non penalty goals yes it isn't the be all and  end all but over months, a year that looks difficult to sustain.

Their goals to date having checked manually and I won't bother with set pieces for now:

8 from Open Play

1 Penalty

1 Own Goal

I'm soon going to restart my mini project from last season relaxing to shors, goals (excluding own goals) and penalty ratio. We as we all know, are well below where we should be, the other BCFC get quite a few however- 2 already.

That’s not 3.9 xg per game, that’s total.  Average total in Champ after 5 games is 6.3.  Preston is now 7 goals / 4.1 xG.

So they are over-achieving goals v xG, so although they might stop scoring so efficiently, they might increase xG too.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Davefevs said:

That’s not 3.9 xg per game, that’s total.  Average total in Champ after 5 games is 6.3.  Preston is now 7 goals / 4.1 xG.

So they are over-achieving goals v xG, so although they might stop scoring so efficiently, they might increase xG too.

Oh yeah 3.9 in total, thst makes sense for sure.

69 Shots conceded?? Ooh that is an unhealthy ratio. Often with these it can weirdly overcorrect the other way when a side are outperforming xG or similar.

Or maybe WBA will build on their start and some underlying numbers will improve.

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Oh yeah 3.9 in total, thst makes sense for sure.

69 Shots conceded?? Ooh that is an unhealthy ratio. Often with these it can weirdly overcorrect the other way when a side are outperforming xG or similar.

Or maybe WBA will build on their start and some underlying numbers will improve.

Oh, sorry, you’re talking about WBA, thought you were talking about PNE.

On 03/09/2023 at 14:46, GrahamC said:

Different league i know........but the Dutch Mierenneuker at man utd is such an  ungracious sad loser?   Apparently their  offside goal...Was definitely NOT offside, because he knows better?   Plus Manure should have had a penalty, and Manure deserved to win the game because they were the better side?    I am all for supporting your team, but i find Ten Haag to be delusional and desperate?  Ha!

Edited by maxjak
  • Like 2