IGNORED

Tour of Britain 2023

spudski

34 minutes ago, Frenchay Red said:

Watched it on ITV4 (between the huge amount of ads!)

Enjoyable to watch them ride many of my favourite roads that I ride at a very much slower pace?

Someone was holding a BCFC flag at the bottom of Wotton Rd just past the garden centre ??

I was expecting some excitement going down Horton hill...but it looks like all the gravel and pot holes had disappeared ?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, spudski said:

I was expecting some excitement going down Horton hill...but it looks like all the gravel and pot holes had disappeared ?

I'll look out for filled potholes the next time I go down there ??. But these guys go so fast they probably skip over the rough bits!

When I go down there it's always with brakes almost full on! ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Frenchay Red said:

I'll look out for filled potholes the next time I go down there ??. But these guys go so fast they probably skip over the rough bits!

When I go down there it's always with brakes almost full on! ?

I went up the other night and then turned left by the monument, got some good speed down until i saw a massive pothole and gravel and was glad i had disc brakes!! 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Rob k said:

I went up the other night and then turned left by the monument, got some good speed down until i saw a massive pothole and gravel and was glad i had disc brakes!! 

That's another descent I gingerly negotiate. I'm almost as slow going down them as going up them! Same going down Hinton Hil ?

And I'm wary of the cows on Hawkesbury common, but haven't been attacked yet?

Edited by Frenchay Red

8 minutes ago, Frenchay Red said:

That's another descent I gingerly negotiate. I'm almost as slow going down them as going up them! Same going down Hinton Hil ?

Hahaha im the same - hate those bloody cows!!

I’ve also been wary of the descent after the monument after seeing a bloke unconscious on one of the corners as it’s so fast but awful roads at times.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Rob k said:

I went up that the other day, had me blowing ???

The Tour came through LA a few years ago and they did Providence Ln, an 8% gradient climb over 1km. Brutal. 

I went and saw the finish of the Tour in Cheltenham a few years back. I don't really get it, waiting around for hours for 30 seconds of action. Was in hospitality thankfully so a free bar and food, at least!

3 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

The Tour came through LA a few years ago and they did Providence Ln, an 8% gradient climb over 1km. Brutal. 

I went and saw the finish of the Tour in Cheltenham a few years back. I don't really get it, waiting around for hours for 30 seconds of action. Was in hospitality thankfully so a free bar and food, at least!

I love riding through LA, i suppose when you do ride you appreciate the difference in watching the  pros make what is so hard look bloody easy!!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

That's why the best vantage points are on climbs. I was at the top of Providence Lane, saw Andre Greipel breeze up there and he was not a good climber, made you realise how fit they all are. Also seeing Cav casualty chatting to Wiggins as they cruised up Charfield Hill a few years ago was quite a sight. It's an opportunity to see some of the best cyclists in action without having to travel far. Worth going to the start as well, as I did when it was in Bath a few years ago. 

Also stood on the Champs Elysees for over six hours to watch the Tour. At least they go past several times ?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Frenchay Red said:

Sadly I had to give up cycling a couple years back...knees couldn't take it anymore. ?

I always found Hinton hill a nightmare, both up and down...don't know why...it really got in my head. Probably the lure of the Bull nagging at me ?

The cows...oh the cows...Sodbury Common is a nightmare for them. 

Never been attacked by one, but almost got decapitated by flying cow dung. Cow flicked his tail as I cycled past and wet dung flew past inches from my face...sure it did it in purpose ?

• Haha 1

Brilliant to watch live.. rushed back in to catch myself on tv and it had cut to ad's ? 

It was hot enough stood outside waiting for them let alone the speed they were travelling at and extremely punishing with all the hills near Wotton.

I have never seen so many police motorbikes, extremely well organized. 

• Like 1

On 09/09/2023 at 23:21, Kid in the Riot said:

I saw the peloton three times that day after riding down to Cheddar and seeing them go up the Gorge, then over to LA and watching fly past opposite the Miners’, then I dashed over to the Downs to see them roll in. A really enjoyable, and much colder, day. Alaphillipe won the stage that day after breaking away on Providence.