IGNORED

Crazy Weather in Scunthorpe Today

Pickle Rick

Just noticed that Scunthorpe had their match abandoned today because of heavy rain.

Top of the NL North and losing 1-2 at home to 10 men as well!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66765341

Saw some comments and a couple photos and vids on X/Twitter about it. Weather was glorious to begin with and never rained in many places nearby.

Only had 5 minutes of stoppage time left to play as well ?‍♂️

7 hours ago, Malago said:

I thought once the game passes 80 mins the result stands.

I had the number 75 minutes in my head for some reason.

1 hour ago, MarcusX said:

That’s not a rule. FA rules simply say all abandoned matches must be replayed unless competition rules or organiser determine otherwise 

It rained heavily in a few places up north yesterday evening 

I'm surprised at that, always thought that the result stood after a certain time.

Just looked , I would guess the result will stand as so much was played.

”…any League Match which from any cause whatever falls short of 90 (ninety) minutes’ duration may be ordered to count as a completed fixture or be replayed in full or in part on whatever terms and conditions the Board shall in their absolute discretion determine and shall be played in compliance with these Regulations and the Football Association Rules respectively and under the Laws of the Game as approved by the International Football Association Board”.

13 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I'm surprised at that, always thought that the result stood after a certain time.

”…any League Match which from any cause whatever falls short of 90 (ninety) minutes’ duration may be ordered to count as a completed fixture or be replayed in full or in part on whatever terms and conditions the Board shall in their absolute discretion determine and shall be played in compliance with these Regulations and the Football Association Rules respectively and under the Laws of the Game as approved by the International Football Association Board”.

Given the match was abandoned five minutes into injury time it would be harsh if the result doesn’t stand. Don’t suppose there are any precedents though?

Edited by Numero Uno
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Given the match was abandoned five minutes into injury time it would be harsh if the result doesn’t stand. Don’t suppose there are any precedents though?

I suppose if the lead was substantial you would fix the result - but with five minutes left and only one goal difference, the losing side could argue they missed the chance to equalise.

On 10/09/2023 at 09:03, 1960maaan said:

Obviously the 90 minutes in that quote equates to the completion of the game, not meaning that because they were in injury time that it stands.

The game is to be replayed

7 hours ago, MarcusX said:

Obviously the 90 minutes in that quote equates to the completion of the game, not meaning that because they were in injury time that it stands.

The game is to be replayed

Sort of how I read it, but assumed if they did force them to play, it would be the missing few minutes not the entire game. But what do I know. to 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Markthehorn said:

Apparently it was pretty much the same for most of the half and could have been called off earlier ?

Started raining with about 20 minutes or so to go. It was strange cause one side of the ground was sunny and the other was sunny for some time. It was the last 10 minutes it became really bad and Scunny missed a penalty late on aswell 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, iamalagerdrinker said:

Started raining with about 20 minutes or so to go. It was strange cause one side of the ground was sunny and the other was sunny for some time. It was the last 10 minutes it became really bad and Scunny missed a penalty late on aswell 

Any thoughts of ref desperate to avoid Scunny losing?  Weren’t they down to 10 men?

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Any thoughts of ref desperate to avoid Scunny losing?  Weren’t they down to 10 men?

They had a player sent off literally on HT - I thought the referee was really poor genuinely seen better Sunday League referees 

That being said I think it's really unfair on Buxton the pitch was genuinely unplayable 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2