IGNORED

Alice, Alice ..

RedRock

A thread most likely to disappear down/off the front page quicker than Water Company shares dropping after Labour winning the next election …but bear with me. 

Was out with my ex-Bristol childhood neighbour who stayed down here for the weekend, someone who choose the wrong path and became a Gashead. It’s ok, I don’t need sympathy, as I claim it as a ‘care in the community’ duty for tax purposes. As usual, took him down to the bright lights of Teignmouth/Shaldon for a couple of evening drinking sessions. This is equivalent of going to Las Vegas for our Village neighbours.

Always end up in T’mouth at The New Quay when they have live music. Quite possibly the ‘best’ music venue in the World with the right band on the right night. This small, edgy, tatty, mostly locals venue absolutely bounces on a calm, sultry summers eve, spilling out on to the quay and back beach. Indeed, it’s not unknown for the barmaids to start dancing on the bar when things reach ‘fever pitch’. Jon! Put those ******* crayons down will you!! Highly recommended - but not the place to take liberties.

Anyhows, to the crux of the matter. The band was working the crowd into a frenzy with a well-structured playlist but suddenly go from ‘Zombie’ to Smokies (remember them?), ‘Living Next Door to Alice’. I thought wtf is going on, but everyone around was still buzzing. Then realised this was a right crowd-engager with the chorus line supplemented by mass audience participation of ‘Alice, Alice who the **** is Alice’. Nearly took the roof off and windows out every time. 

So got me thinking, while my Gashead mate was slumped in the corner of the pub, dribbling and muttering something about needing ‘Irene’, …..

The Gas have got ‘Irene’, Stoke have ‘Delilah’ … how about City having ‘Alice’? 

Written under instruction by my therapist after suffering recent Visitor Trauma.

• Haha 8

10 minutes ago, RedRock said:

A thread most likely to disappear down/off the front page quicker than Water Company shares dropping after Labour winning the next election …but bear with me. 

Was out with my ex-Bristol childhood neighbour who stayed down here for the weekend, someone who choose the wrong path and became a Gashead. It’s ok, I don’t need sympathy, as I claim it as a ‘care in the community’ duty for tax purposes. As usual, took him down to the bright lights of Teignmouth/Shaldon for a couple of evening drinking sessions. This is equivalent of going to Las Vegas for our Village neighbours.

Always end up in T’mouth at The New Quay when they have live music. Quite possibly the ‘best’ music venue in the World with the right band on the right night. This small, edgy, tatty, mostly locals venue absolutely bounces on a calm, sultry summers eve, spilling out on to the quay and back beach. Indeed, it’s not unknown for the barmaids to start dancing on the bar when things reach ‘fever pitch’. Jon! Put those ******* crayons down will you!! Highly recommended - but not the place to take liberties.

Anyhows, to the crux of the matter. The band was working the crowd into a frenzy with a well-structured playlist but suddenly go from ‘Zombie’ to Smokies (remember them?), ‘Living Next Door to Alice’. I thought wtf is going on, but everyone around was still buzzing. Then realised this was a right crowd-engager with the chorus line supplemented by mass audience participation of ‘Alice, Alice who the **** is Alice’. Nearly took the roof off and windows out every time. 

So got me thinking, while my Gashead mate was slumped in the corner of the pub, dribbling and muttering something about needing ‘Irene’, …..

Written under instruction by my therapist after suffering recent Visitor Trauma.

That song was a staple down at Chicago Rock on the Harbourside back in the day (90s). Everyone shouting, “Alice, Alice? Who the…?” A right rabble raiser.

There will probably be complaints about the effing though. 

• Flames 1
  • Robin 1

33 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Plymouth had Irene.

The Gas, just as they did with the Mem, stole it.

• Like 6

47 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Always thought the first to sing this, with Smokey backing, was Roy Chubby Brown?

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

That song was a staple down at Chicago Rock on the Harbourside back in the day (90s). Everyone shouting, “Alice, Alice? Who the…?” A right rabble raiser.

Do you remember the little wooden bannister / barrier around the dance floor.  I tried to hurdle it pissed once…and failed.  Ok, slight lie, it wasn’t once, I had 3 goes before I was asked politely not to try again!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Don't the Wurzels have a song about a woman?

Marvellous Mavis from Malmsbury or something

Yeah but …….. belting out  ‘Mavis,  Mavis … who the **** is Mavis’ I don’t think would be so catchy somehow. Maybe just me though. 

2 hours ago, reddoh said:

And the operator says 40 cents more
For the next three minutes

Isn't this a reference as to how they power the lights at the Mem??I

Oh, and by the way, I thought the OP was referring to Prof Alice Roberts, and got quite flustered for a moment.

Edited by Red_Alligator
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Do you remember the little wooden bannister / barrier around the dance floor.  I tried to hurdle it pissed once…and failed.  Ok, slight lie, it wasn’t once, I had 3 goes before I was asked politely not to try again!

So that's where Neymar jnr got it from then Dave ?

18 minutes ago, Red_Alligator said:

Isn't this a reference as to how they power the lights at the Mem??I

Oh, and by the way, I thought the OP was referring to Prof Alice Roberts, and got quite flustered for a moment.

Well, Prof Alice did go to the school next door to mine…and did once ‘like’ a Twitter comment of mine referencing ‘The Gate’ with her shown photographed on the Suspension Bridge looking in our direction, so she could well be a closet ‘red’. Further justification for adopting this song then! 

Having just re-read the above, it does make me sound a bit like a sad, desperate individual, borderline stalker, so just keep that ‘Dr Alice’ information between you and me if you could please.

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Loved Chicago Rock, the crowd I went out with in the 90s always seemed to be celebrating a birthday each weekend, nothing to do with the fact that if you told the DJ in the little booth in the corner it was your birthday he gave you a free bottle of bubbly!

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

4 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Well, Prof Alice did go to the school next door to mine…and did once ‘like’ a Twitter comment of mine referencing ‘The Gate’ with her shown photographed on the Suspension Bridge looking in our direction, so she could well be a closet ‘red’. Further justification for adopting this song then! 

Having just re-read the above, it does make me sound a bit like a sad, desperate individual, borderline stalker, so just keep that ‘Dr Alice’ information between you and me if you could please.

Will do Red..

She's one of us, you know?

29 minutes ago, Red Homer said:

Loved Chicago Rock, the crowd I went out with in the 90s always seemed to be celebrating a birthday each weekend, nothing to do with the fact that if you told the DJ in the little booth in the corner it was your birthday he gave you a free bottle of bubbly!

complete carnage but a right laugh #MD2020 

MD-20-20-Blue-Raspberry.png

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, Erithacus said:

The Roy 'Chubby' Brown version was gleefully picked up by the Germans fans of what was the World League/NFL Europe in the years gone past. Always a treat to hear the whole crowd singing over the commentary. Different times.

Seriously!?! So it’s been tried and succeeded in the sporting arena. Jobs a good ‘un then. 

All we need to do is convince ‘Red Skin’ of the merits of the song, get the Chubby Brown version on the jukebox at the Three Lions and everyone put their 20p in to play on repeat all night, download on phones to play on the trains up to Leicester so we can practice and ‘Bob’s your Uncle’ or, more appropriately, ‘Alice is your Aunt’ …… we’ve a new Club anthem. 

Now, on to the away shirt …. taking the Bears theme, pixelated image of partially-clad Prof Alice anyone?

Nurse……..

• Haha 1

I was once nearly ejected from Chicago’s for wearing a Bin-Laden mask. 
However, some other chap took great offence to it and started having a row with me and attempting to rip it off my head. 
The bouncers ended up letting me stay (sans-mask) but ejected the other bloke ?

• Flames 1